Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Weight loss thread

Offline metaldams

Hey, why not?  If this thread helps one person, then it's a success.  I've been doing something known as a primal/Paleo diet since February, when I was 5'9" and 192 lbs.  It's June 1 and I now weigh 158, my lowest weight in well over 10 years.  This diet has been a miracle for me, and the basic gist of it is avoid bread, grains, and processed sugars and eat meat, fruits and veggies.  Below is a link to the book that helped and the man's (Mark Sisson) website.  I even have my Mom wanting to try this and my brother successfully applied this when he wanted to lose five pounds.

http://www.amazon.com/Primal-Blueprint-Reprogram-effortless-boundless/dp/0982207786/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1370094588&sr=1-1&keywords=mark+sisson+primal+blueprint

www.marksdailyapple.com

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
I'll confirm what Doug says - the Primal (or Paleo) diet works like a champ!  I lost 50+ lbs just by changing my eating habits, before I even started exercising or anything.  And the best thing about it is that, unlike so many other diets, I don't have to try to starve myself.  I eat as much - if not more - than I used to, so I never go hungry, and I don't worry about counting calories, etc., either.

If you want to lose weight, or even just start feeling better, I strongly recommend following the links Doug gave above.   [cool]

Offline metaldams

I'll confirm what Doug says - the Primal (or Paleo) diet works like a champ!  I lost 50+ lbs just by changing my eating habits, before I even started exercising or anything.  And the best thing about it is that, unlike so many other diets, I don't have to try to starve myself.  I eat as much - if not more - than I used to, so I never go hungry, and I don't worry about counting calories, etc., either.

If you want to lose weight, or even just start feeling better, I strongly recommend following the links Doug gave above.   [cool]

Congrats Rob on the 50lbs, that's awesome!  It's true you don't have to starve yourself on this thing, or count calories or worry about fat or any of that.  My breakfast this morning was my Saturdaiy morning Denny's tradition, a Grand Slam of fried eggs, bacon, ham, a side of fruit, and three cups of coffee.  Hardly a supermodel's diet.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Kopfy2013

Offline Kopfy2013

Do any of you use the Primal Fuel they advertise (Protein Powder)
Niagara Falls

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Do any of you use the Primal Fuel they advertise (Protein Powder)

I haven't used any kind of supplements so far, including protein powder.  I think I'm getting plenty of protein just from modifying my diet, since about half of my food intake is meat.  Of course, I'm not trying to bulk up, either - just losing weight and toning up the muscles.

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
Losing weight is difficult for me, so I'll check this out.  Thanks, Doug!
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster

I'm the same way, Liz.  I wish I had known about this diet when my mother was alive - she struggled with her weight most of her life, and I realize now that it was undoubtedly all the carbs that made it so hard for her.

It is amazing how quickly you can lose weight on the Primal Blueprint without even really trying, and without going hungry!   ;D

Offline Larrys#1

I don't need to lose weight; I'm already very thin. What I would like is a six pack. If anyone knows the secret, please advise. I've tried sit ups and everything and it doesn't work for me...

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
I don't need to lose weight; I'm already very thin. What I would like is a six pack. If anyone knows the secret, please advise. I've tried sit ups and everything and it doesn't work for me...

I'm still a relative novice at working out, myself, so I don't have a clue.  If you find out, though, please share the secret!   :laugh:

Offline metaldams

This diet Rob and I are on is good for people who are thin as well.  Stay away from the breads, sugars and starches, and eat lots of protein with fruits and veggies as carb sources.  The protein, along with exercise, will help you build lean muscle, including the six pack.  I'm genetically inclined to have a large waist with thin arms and legs, but this diet has helped my waist size drop considerably, as my brand new 34 jeans are now a bit loose.  The muscle is very slowly coming in, it just takes time, and for me, the gut will be the last place, but I've noticed more tone in the legs.  If your waist is thin, you should have no problem getting a six pack on this diet with the proper exercises, namely planks and squats for the core muscles.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline locoboymakesgood

I've been overweight most of my life with the exception of a few years during and after high school. I finally had enough and started this year on working out and going to the gym. The most important and hardest thing for me was changing my diet, though. When you live on fast food and completely overhaul your diet, it's brutal at first. I think I've finally broken that though (the only 'fast food' I tend to get now is Subway occasionally), and as a tip, crock pots work wonders. You can make meals on the cheap and they'll last a good week.

My biggest was 298 about 3 years ago, and I'm currently at 270. It's a slow process but it's gratifying when my pants are becoming loose. My ideal weight is 175, so I got a ways to go.

I consulted a personal trainer with a background in nutrition to help me out and I utilize protein powder after workouts and in the morning to start my day. I don't know if I'll ever get a sculpted physique but so long as this huge gut goes away I'll be content.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline metaldams

I'm the same way, Liz.  I wish I had known about this diet when my mother was alive - she struggled with her weight most of her life, and I realize now that it was undoubtedly all the carbs that made it so hard for her.

It is amazing how quickly you can lose weight on the Primal Blueprint without even really trying, and without going hungry!   ;D

My grandmother passed away a couple of years ago at 81, and considering she was overweight most of her life, I'm surprised she made it that long.  Let's just say her lifestyle towards the end wasn't veryo pleasant, and with me pushing 200 lbs earlier this year and starting to live in pain, she was my warning not to take it anymore.  I was actually saying to my Mom the other day what you said about your Mom, Rob, that I wish I could've told my grandmother about this diet.

Folks, grains are the devil.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

You're welcome, Liz.  Definitely check it out.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I've been overweight most of my life with the exception of a few years during and after high school. I finally had enough and started this year on working out and going to the gym. The most important and hardest thing for me was changing my diet, though. When you live on fast food and completely overhaul your diet, it's brutal at first. I think I've finally broken that though (the only 'fast food' I tend to get now is Subway occasionally), and as a tip, crock pots work wonders. You can make meals on the cheap and they'll last a good week.

My biggest was 298 about 3 years ago, and I'm currently at 270. It's a slow process but it's gratifying when my pants are becoming loose. My ideal weight is 175, so I got a ways to go.

I consulted a personal trainer with a background in nutrition to help me out and I utilize protein powder after workouts and in the morning to start my day. I don't know if I'll ever get a sculpted physique but so long as this huge gut goes away I'll be content.

In response to the protein powder stuff, and this includes the earlier Kopfy post as well, my brother does protein powder and he's pretty ripped.  I'm just aiming for lean and toned and don't care about looking like Mr. Universe, so I'm not a supplement guy at this point, but hey, it works for some people.

Good luck there, Loco.  If you decide to incorporate this primal diet, it's actually quite easy and you feel no sense of deprivation.  My idea of a protein boost is gorging on rotisserie chickens!

I'll have to take your crock pot idea into consideration, that does sound like a good idea.  I really need to start cooking for myself at this point, and I like the idea of storing food for a week.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man

First and foremost you have to be genetically predisposed to six pack abs before you can get them. Some people can workout like crazy, focusing specifically on their abdominal region and never get toned abs while others just naturally get them without stepping in a gym. Seeing as though you are already thin I would venture to guess that the "six pack" you want just isn't in the cards.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Larrys#1

That sucks to hear. I was hoping to get that six pack someday....you know, to impress the ladies. ;) I assumed it just takes a very long time because that's what all my friends tell me..

Offline metaldams

That sucks to hear. I was hoping to get that six pack someday....you know, to impress the ladies. ;) I assumed it just takes a very long time because that's what all my friends tell me..

You do realize Jim saying you can't get a six pack because of genetics and me saying diet and exercise will get you a six pack is the classic HOI POLLOI argument of heredity vs. environment.

I say diet is just as important as weight and exercise and protein and low carbs will help build muscle.  Give it a shot, you got nothing to lose.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster

I kind of see what Jim is saying - some body types are less likely to have success at developing 6-pack abs than others.  If you are endomorphic, like me, it's probably going to be hard as hell.  A mesomorph, on the other hand, is likely to have a 6-pack without even really trying.  It sounds as though you are ectomorphic, in which case you might be able to develop them if you work at it.

Do a Google search for "developing 6 pack abs" - you'll find a ton of advice and exercise recommendations.  As Doug said, give it a shot - you've got nothing to lose.

Offline metaldams

I kind of see what Jim is saying - some body types are less likely to have success at developing 6-pack abs than others.  If you are endomorphic, like me, it's probably going to be hard as hell.  A mesomorph, on the other hand, is likely to have a 6-pack without even really trying.  It sounds as though you are ectomorphic, in which case you might be able to develop them if you work at it.

Do a Google search for "developing 6 pack abs" - you'll find a ton of advice and exercise recommendations.  As Doug said, give it a shot - you've got nothing to lose.

I can honestly say looking at that chart, at the moment, I am neither of those body types.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Larrys#1

I guess your heredity determines how much environment you need.  ;D It's probably not impossible for anyone, but for some of us, it can be very hard and may require rigorous training.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
I guess your heredity determines how much environment you need.  ;D It's probably not impossible for anyone, but for some of us, it can be very hard and may require rigorous training.

LOL!  Probably.  I just don't know that I'm dedicated enough to work that hard for them.  I'll be happy just to get rid of the flab.   ;D

The first major benefit I got from changing my diet and losing so much weight was that my joints stopped creaking and aching every time I get up or do anything, especially my knees.  I injured up my knees when I was around 13 (tripped running down a hill and landed on my knees on the sidewalk,) so they were complaining about the excess weight for years.   :P

Offline metaldams

Don't mean to brag, (Oh, who the Hell am I kidding, yes I do), but here's a six month before and after, with the after taken two days ago, me on the right.  If this isn't an advertisement for the primal diet, I don't know what is.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Don't mean to brag, (Oh, who the Hell am I kidding, yes I do), but here's a six month before and after, with the after taken two days ago, me on the right.  If this isn't an advertisement for the primal diet, I don't know what is.

Way to go, Doug!  [thumbsup]

I've always been a bit camera shy (I'm the only non-photographer in the family, too,) so I don't really have a good picture of me before I started the diet.  I'll have to see if my brother has one.  I'll get my niece or nephew to take one of me this weekend, for comparison, and post them this weekend.

Last summer, when I hit my (known*) peak weight, I was 315 lbs.  I started the diet by the fall (IIRC) but didn't go "whole hog" on it until after New Year's.  When I weighed myself just now I am at 244.9 lbs., so I've lost 70 lbs so far - more than half of that before I even started exercising.

I have been going to the gym for a full hour (or more) workout three times a week for the past 2-1/2 months without fail.  I've been doing that less for any weight loss benefits than for strength training to counteract better than two decades of almost total lethargy.  Other than my legs (with at least got a workout moving my fat carcass around once in a while - usually to get more food,) my muscles had nearly atrophied.  When I first started working out I thought I'd die, and it's embarrassing how little upper body strength I had at that point.  I've definitely been making some progress there, but I still have a way to go.

Basically, there are four major benefits that I have seen by sticking with the Primal diet:
  • I never go hungry (unless I choose to skip a meal, which I do occasionally for the hell of it.)
  • My joints (especially knees and ankles) have stopped protesting and creaking, like they used to.
  • I no longer qualify for a training bra.  (Hell, I was pushing towards a B cup.)   ::) 
  • I can look down when standing and see my willy again.   ;)
Oh yeah, one more:  I can eat BACON!   [cool]

* I say known weight, because I avoided scales for years, and my 48" pants had been tight for a while when I finally gave in any weighed myself.  For all I know I might have weighed even more prior to that.

Offline metaldams

Way to go, Doug!  [thumbsup]

I've always been a bit camera shy (I'm the only non-photographer in the family, too,) so I don't really have a good picture of me before I started the diet.  I'll have to see if my brother has one.  I'll get my niece or nephew to take one of me this weekend, for comparison, and post them this weekend.

Last summer, when I hit my (known*) peak weight, I was 315 lbs.  I started the diet by the fall (IIRC) but didn't go "whole hog" on it until after New Year's.  When I weighed myself just now I am at 244.9 lbs., so I've lost 70 lbs so far - more than half of that before I even started exercising.

I have been going to the gym for a full hour (or more) workout three times a week for the past 2-1/2 months without fail.  I've been doing that less for any weight loss benefits than for strength training to counteract better than two decades of almost total lethargy.  Other than my legs (with at least got a workout moving my fat carcass around once in a while - usually to get more food,) my muscles had nearly atrophied.  When I first started working out I thought I'd die, and it's embarrassing how little upper body strength I had at that point.  I've definitely been making some progress there, but I still have a way to go.

Basically, there are four major benefits that I have seen by sticking with the Primal diet:
  • I never go hungry (unless I choose to skip a meal, which I do occasionally for the hell of it.)
  • My joints (especially knees and ankles) have stopped protesting and creaking, like they used to.
  • I no longer qualify for a training bra.  (Hell, I was pushing towards a B cup.)   ::) 
  • I can look down when standing and see my willy again.   ;)
Oh yeah, one more:  I can eat BACON!   [cool]

* I say known weight, because I avoided scales for years, and my 48" pants had been tight for a while when I finally gave in any weighed myself.  For all I know I might have weighed even more prior to that.

I've gone from being able to do 3 pull ups and 15 push ups to 8 pull ups and 34 push ups.  Not sure if it's strength gain or the fact I have 45 lbs less body weight to lug around.  Strength training is something I need to work on as well, my next goal, actually.  My forearms are by far my most toned muscles, and that's from being a bass player.

Rob, that's 71 lbs, great job!

The benefits for me, other than the weight loss.

1.). I'm overall happier.
2.). Chronic cough is gone
3.). Indigestion is gone
4.). Females smile at me more

The bad part is I gotta spend money on new clothes.
- Doug Sarnecky