Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Question about "Cactus Makes Perfect"

Herman · 13 · 2930

Offline Herman

At the end of Cactus Makes Perfect, right before the dynamite explodes, does anybody know what Curly says? Sounds like "a swizzle?" But I'm not sure. And what does it mean?

Offline Bum

When an explosive device failed to work properly, it was called a "fizzle". Curly just put his own personal take on the word; I can't tell if he's saying "swizzle" or "splizzle", but he definitely means "fizzle".

Offline Larrys#1

If you own the DVD, check the closed captions to see what it says. I use an HDTV and have my DVD player upconverted via HDMI, so I can't use CC.

Offline Bum

If you own the DVD, check the closed captions to see what it says. I use an HDTV and have my DVD player upconverted via HDMI, so I can't use CC.

Reading the captions helps sometimes, but keep in mind that the people who did the captioning were often guessing just like we are! You'd need to see an original script to know for sure......... and even then Curly's penchant for ad-libbing might make the script incorrect as well.......

Offline Herman

When an explosive device failed to work properly, it was called a "fizzle". Curly just put his own personal take on the word; I can't tell if he's saying "swizzle" or "splizzle", but he definitely means "fizzle".

That's kind of what I thought it was too, but I wasn't sure. Thanks guys. (And I'll check the captioning)

Offline Larrys#1

Looks like this website has a script located under the Transcripts section. Never realized that until now. Pretty cool. Here's what is says.....

CURLY: Oh! A squizzle!

http://threestooges.net/filmography/episode/61

Offline Herman

Looks like this website has a script located under the Transcripts section. Never realized that until now. Pretty cool. Here's what is says.....

http://threestooges.net/filmography/episode/61

Ha! Thanks! More confusion.

Offline Squirrelbait

I just watched it, and I tried to listen very closely. It sounds like 'a squizzle'! Curly thought that the dynamite was a dud because it was lit, and then fizzled out......until he threw it on the ground.

Which brings me to a question of my own.

In 'Violent Is The Word For Curly,' what exactly does Moe say when Mrs. Catsby asks, 'Do you think we'd better call a doctor?' It's in the buffet scene when Curly gets the cucumber stuck in his mouth. Never could decipher that line after all these years.
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

ThumpTheShoes

In 'Violent Is The Word For Curly,' what exactly does Moe say when Mrs. Catsby asks, 'Do you think we'd better call a doctor?' It's in the buffet scene when Curly gets the cucumber stuck in his mouth. Never could decipher that line after all these years.

"No. If he had an ounce of initiative he'd swallow the thing!"

Funny way of pronouncing initiative as "a-NEE-sha-tive".. Plays up the whole notion that they're just Average Joes pretending to be ultra smart and using beeg words!

Offline Larrys#1

Again, the script is on the site located under "Transcripts"....

MOE: No, if he had an ounce of initiation, he'd swallow the thing.

http://threestooges.net/filmography/episode/33

Offline Herman

RE: Quote

That's funny I always thought it was an ounce of "inertia".

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Again, the script is on the site located under "Transcripts"....

Those are not transcripts of the scripts.  They're transcripts written by a couple members of this board, from their viewing of the film.  As such, if they misheard something, the transcription is wrong.

As Thump noted above, the word is "initiative" (not "initiation")...

"No. If he had an ounce of initiative he'd swallow the thing!"

At the end of Cactus Makes Perfect, right before the dynamite explodes, does anybody know what Curly says? Sounds like "a swizzle?" But I'm not sure. And what does it mean?

"Swizzle" is correct, and it says "swizzle" in the script.  As noted earlier, a dud firecracker is a "fizzle."  It appears writers Ullman and Collins tweeked the word, making an oblique reference to mixed drink stirrers, aka swizzle sticks.

Offline Larrys#1

Those are not transcripts of the scripts.  They're transcripts written by a couple members of this board, from their viewing of the film.  As such, if they misheard something, the transcription is wrong.

The word is "initiative" (not "initiation")...

"Swizzle" is correct, and it says "swizzle" in the script.  As noted earlier, a dud firecracker is a "fizzle."  It appears writers Ullman and Collins tweeked the word, making an oblique reference to mixed drink stirrers, aka swizzle sticks.

Thank you for clarifying.