Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Time Out for Rhythm (1941)

Offline metaldams

The entire film

The Three Stooges scenes only

TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM  was filmed and released in 1941 by Columbia and this was during the time where, in my opinion, The Three Stooges were artistically at their peak.  The boys were never put into many features and this is pure speculation on my part, but the filming of TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM coincided shortly after the release of Abbott and Costello’s BUCK PRIVATES.  It’s possible that was the inspiration for putting the boys in a film as comic relief in a dramatic musical.  Then again, it could just be pure coincidence but using comics as a comedy relief in features instead of being pure stars on their own seemed to be common in the day.

I’m going to mostly review this as a Stooge film.  When Jed Leland panned Susan Kane’s performance in CITIZEN KANE, it was the music part as he said the drama belonged to another department.  Well, I’m the Stooge department.  I’ll just quickly say there’s a bunch of swing numbers, some drama concerning booking partners and romance, and some dude named Rudy Vallee and some dudette named Ann Miller in this.  If swing era b films are your thing - and I know these films have their audience - proceed with more than Stooge interest.

As for The Three Stooges, this is a 75 minute film and they appear in a little more than 15 minutes of it.  Essentially, that equals about one short worth of footage.  They play ham actors who are trying to impress the booking agents for a gig, so they do a lot of comic acts for them.  The boys are in top form where they’re on.

Most famous is the maharaja routine that would later be done in THREE LITTLE PIRATES.  I was getting some good laughs here and being 1941, Curly was in much better health.  A pure pleasure to watch a familiar routine in what feels like an alternate form during their prime.  Curly gets to throw knives at Larry pinned on the wall and all comedians involved give it their all.  Great stuff.

We get another funny bit where Moe and Larry are rehearsing dialogue and whenever Moe is supposed to deliver a slap in response to Larry’s line, Larry throws Curly in front of him to take the slap.  Another fun bit where the boys deliver a message as postmen and the message accidentally gets torn up - so they frantically go on the ground to piece it back together.  Finally, towards the end, we see the boys in a big musical number!  Not the kind of thing budget wise we see in the shorts.  Curly dresses in a Carmen Miranda outfit and Moe and Larry as bandoleros. 

Whenever the boys are on film, the mood of the film changes and completely focuses on them.  Writers at the time did have trouble incorporating comics like The Three Stooges into plots of feature films.  But the comic relief they get is fun and it’s about one short’s worth of material - mixed in with an hour of non Stooge stuff.  A shame the boys couldn’t get a real feature at this time, but for a fan like me who has seen the shorts a zillion times (and will watch a zillion more), this fifteen minutes of new footage is quite fresh.  Check it out if you haven’t done so already.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Mabuse

An uneven musical-comedy jamboree, "Time Out for Rhythm" works best as a showcase for Moe, Larry and Curly. Ann Miller doesn't fare too badly, either. Unfortunately, you're also stuck with Rudy Vallee, who I can only tolerate in small doses — such as the W.C. Fields put-down in the pre-Code "International House." Surprisingly good production values from the Columbia "B-movie" assembly line. The "Maharaja" routine is a definite highlight in the Stooges' best feature-length appearance with Curly.

7.5/10

Offline metaldams

Speaking of Ann Miller, she was in films for a few years at this point, including ROOM SERVICE with The Marx Brothers.  Even as a relative screen veteran, she was still a couple months shy of 18 when this was filmed.  Talk about a girl acting grown up for her age - and hanging onto a long career when she actually was grown up.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Umbrella Sam

Yeah, some of the musical numbers are boring, but I actually do recall the story flowing fairly well even when the Stooges weren’t on screen. When they’re not on screen, it’s fairly entertaining. Richard Lane’s always good, I actually thought he worked fairly well off of Rudy Vallée. When the Stooges are on screen...well, the film is amazing. If there’s one feature with Curly to watch, it’s this one. They’ve got a decent amount of screen time and they’re still in excellent form. The two scenes that always stick to mind for me are the Carmen Miranda bit and the first version of the Maharjah routine (on a side note, I’m still wondering if the Shemp version exists?). Yeah, they’re clearly just there for comic relief and don’t add a whole lot to the plot, at least compared to something like SWING PARADE. But SWING PARADE just drags; if it had been made around this time, then maybe it would have been different. TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM has the advantage of being made at the perfect time, and not just simply throwing in the Stooges for some small cameo.
“I’ll take a milkshake...with sour milk!” -Shemp (Punchy Cowpunchers, 1950)

My blog: https://talk-about-cinema.blogspot.com

Offline HomokHarcos

I know this may be different for people who don't like swing, but I'm a love big band music so I enjoyed the musical numbers. I usually do in these old movies unless it's a slow, sappy ballad. I'm surprised Rudy Vallee is the lead here, I thought of him as being megastar during the late 1920s/early 1930s and didn't know his popularity lasted up to the 1940s. There 's in scene where Vallee says "kick in the ash can" and I had to rewind because I thought he said "kick in the a**" when I first heard it. I also saw Allen Jenkins in a Torchy Blane movie earlier this year, it was kind of funny to see him in a lighthearted musical.

The Three Stooges here perform more vaudeville-type routines than their usually cartoony slapstick. Clearly they were brought in as the comic relief of the movie, and it is always good to see them. Their maharaja scene here actually preceded their short film version.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

I came across this stunning lobby card.

Offline NoahYoung

I have not seen this movie, but I do like Swing music -- but have never heard much these from particular artists. Too bad they didn't make a film with Duke Ellington or Count Basie.

Regarding Rudy Vallee, this is my chance to tell a funny story. My grandfather (who passed away before I was born) was a limousine driver in the early 30s, and he once had Rudy Vallee as a customer. Vallee threw up in the limousine, and my grandfather made him clean it up!
True story!

That story, references to him (with his 78s playing in the background) in SOME LIKE IT HOT, and his appearance in INTERNATIONAL HOUSE are my only encounters with him. Sinatra, Crosby, Ella, Billie, and King Cole he ain't!
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz

Offline metaldams

I have not seen this movie, but I do like Swing music -- but have never heard much these from particular artists. Too bad they didn't make a film with Duke Ellington or Count Basie.

Regarding Rudy Vallee, this is my chance to tell a funny story. My grandfather (who passed away before I was born) was a limousine driver in the early 30s, and he once had Rudy Vallee as a customer. Vallee threw up in the limousine, and my grandfather made him clean it up!
True story!

That story, references to him (with his 78s playing in the background) in SOME LIKE IT HOT, and his appearance in INTERNATIONAL HOUSE are my only encounters with him. Sinatra, Crosby, Ella, Billie, and King Cole he ain't!

Great Rudy Vallee story!  There’s a picture lying around somewhere of my teenaged grandmother in the 40’s standing next to Sinatra.  She was president of some local branch of his fan club.

My musical tastes tend to shift towards The Beatles and 70’s and 80’s hard rock and metal.  That said, I played bass in jazz band in high school, so I have an appreciation for that music even if it’s not my go to.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline NoahYoung

How did you compare to Jimmy Blanton?
 :)

Swing is a sub-genre of jazz; I'm a huge jazz fan. For Big Bands, nothing tops Ellington and Basie. You don't last from 1914-1974, and 1924-1984, respectively, if you're not good. Neither band has actually ceased to exist and can still be seen to this day. The torch has constantly been passed.  Today, Vallee is just a footnote.

At least Mae West had the Ellington band in BELLE OF THE NINETIES, and Ella Fitzgerald was in RIDE'EM COWBOY with Abbott & Costello. I'm sure you know the Stooges (with Shemp) appeared on TV with Sinatra. I have it on one of those Goodtimes DVDs.

I was a teen but I didn't go with my father to see SUGAR BABIES on Broadway with Ann Miller and Mickey Rooney. He said it was great.

You mean Paul McCartney was in a band before Wings? Groovy!
 :laugh:
Burt Lancaster was too short!
- The Birdman of Alcatraz