Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Introduction to the weekly episode discussions

Dunrobin · 893 · 178785

Offline metaldams

Time sure does fly, don't it? Seems like just yesterday, the weekly discussions started with Woman Haters.

I've never attempted to ever watching the stooges in chronological order, just knowing that it would not be too long before I got to "the back of Joe Palma's head" and Joe Besser. Metal, you have my sympathies in the weeks to come.

:D

LOL!  Gotta be honest, between a slew of remakes and the fact my personal life is slowly getting more interesting, I admit the enthusiasm ain't what it used to be for this, but I will persevere.  Next review coming up a few hours after typing this, gotta do my Saturday morning Denny's breakfast first.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

I've never attempted to ever watching the stooges in chronological order, just knowing that it would not be too long before I got to "the back of Joe Palma's head" and Joe Besser. Metal, you have my sympathies in the weeks to come.

:D

The first time or three when I watched the DVDs, I did view them in order, but having to go through 77 Shemps and 16 Joes without Curly, I hit on a brainstorm.  "Anything in his brain is a storm."  Quite simply, I watch the volumes in this order:  1, 5, 2, 6, 3, 7, 4, 8.

Offline metaldams

Going to make it an early Saturday one this week. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Going to make it an early Saturday one this week.

I must say that I've been in on this for over 2 years (you for over 3), and I'm still having fun!
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I must say that I've been in on this for over 2 years (you for over 3), and I'm still having fun!

Good to hear it, man.  You and roughly a half dozen or so others are the reason I'm still doing this.  I think I'm actually going to finish this this too, about to grab a coffee and watch the next short now.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Well folks, all things, including the Weekly Episode Discussions, must come to and end.....we're just not there yet.  However, I have come up with an exit strategy.  What was always guaranteed is I will do all 190 and the five Columbia Derita features.  I was on the fence about the solo shorts, not so sure if they would get enough responses.  Well, I have figured something out. Instead of doing twenty three weeks of solo shorts as stand alone weeks, perhaps a few of you remember I used to review Marx Bros. and Laurel and Hardy films, and I'd do two reviews a week.  That's how this is going to play out.  When things look bleak during the week we do the zombie Shemp short, SCHEMING SCHEMERS, we will start doing Columbia solo shorts to make things more interesting, so back to two shorts a week for the final twenty three weeks.  If my counting is correct, this will take us all the way to Christmas weekend, AKA, my 38th birthday. 

What happens after the final review, I don't know.  If you guys want to see me review some Buster Keaton or somebody else, which I'd love to do, you have about eight months to lobby for it.  If the demand is there, I'll continue reviewing other people, but if not, it's been one Hell of a run, and I thank all of you, especially the regulars, for making this one crazy journey.  Ah, but we're not done yet, several stock footage, Bessers, features, solo shorts, and even a few Shemp originals to go.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
      Well folks, all things, including the Weekly Episode Discussions, must come to and end.....we're just not there yet.  However, I have come up with an exit strategy.  What was always guaranteed is I will do all 190 and the five Columbia Derita features.  I was on the fence about the solo shorts, not so sure if they would get enough responses.  Well, I have figured something out. Instead of doing twenty three weeks of solo shorts as stand alone weeks, perhaps a few of you remember I used to review Marx Bros. and Laurel and Hardy films, and I'd do two reviews a week.  That's how this is going to play out.  When things look bleak during the week we do the zombie Shemp short, SCHEMING SCHEMERS, we will start doing Columbia solo shorts to make things more interesting, so back to two shorts a week for the final twenty three weeks.  If my counting is correct, this will take us all the way to Christmas weekend, AKA, my 38th birthday. 

What happens after the final review, I don't know.  If you guys want to see me review some Buster Keaton or somebody else, which I'd love to do, you have about eight months to lobby for it.  If the demand is there, I'll continue reviewing other people, but if not, it's been one Hell of a run, and I thank all of you, especially the regulars, for making this one crazy journey.  Ah, but we're not done yet, several stock footage, Bessers, features, solo shorts, and even a few Shemp originals to go.

Are these just the Shemp solo efforts because there are some good efforts from DeRita and Besser as well?  We've got Rockin' in the Rockies, Jerks of All Trades, Gold Raiders, 6 DeRita features, Kook's Tour, and Scrapbook
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead

Offline luke795

So are you going to do the Three Stooges solo shorts or finish the Laurel and Hardy shorts and movies?

Offline metaldams

Are these just the Shemp solo efforts because there are some good efforts from DeRita and Besser as well?  We've got Rockin' in the Rockies, Jerks of All Trades, Gold Raiders, 6 DeRita features, Kook's Tour, and Scrapbook

All Shemp, Besser, and Derita Columbia solos, which is 23 in all, and the five Derita Columbia features.  Can't bring myself to watch Snow White again, and honestly, title aside, I consider the Stooges supporting players there.  I'm just keeping it simple and doing the main body of Columbia films.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

So are you going to do the Three Stooges solo shorts or finish the Laurel and Hardy shorts and movies?

No Laurel and Hardy.  I announced a while ago, cancelled due to lack of interest.  When it takes months for THE MUSIC BOX to get one response, time to move on.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
All Shemp, Besser, and Derita Columbia solos, which is 23 in all, and the five Derita Columbia features.  Can't bring myself to watch Snow White again, and honestly, title aside, I consider the Stooges supporting players there.  I'm just keeping it simple and doing the main body of Columbia films.

No JERKS OF ALL TRADES or GOLD RAIDERS? :(
#1 fire kibitzer

You're doing great, Metal, don't stop now.  I said I wouldn't be watching the clip-fests or the Bessers, since they're so depressing, but if you're going to stick them out, so will I.  I'll try to contribute every week, some way or another.  By the time we get to Outlaws is Coming, it may be just you and me, but as I've said I like the Curly-Joes, so I'll slog through the Bessers and the Dead Shemps just to get there.  (  Zombie Shemp is a good name, too.  )  The drop off in participation here is a good barometer of how really awful these things are...truly no one even at this site, the best stooge site in the world, wants to sit through them.  Perhaps those of us who remain can imitate the writers and producers of these last travesties, and just stay drunk through the whole mess.

Offline metaldams

No JERKS OF ALL TRADES or GOLD RAIDERS? :(

I'll tell you what, I'll continue as I have planned, and if the demand is there enough after OUTLAWS and the last solo, I'll do other films.  I'll play it by ear.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

You're doing great, Metal, don't stop now.  I said I wouldn't be watching the clip-fests or the Bessers, since they're so depressing, but if you're going to stick them out, so will I.  I'll try to contribute every week, some way or another.  By the time we get to Outlaws is Coming, it may be just you and me, but as I've said I like the Curly-Joes, so I'll slog through the Bessers and the Dead Shemps just to get there.  (  Zombie Shemp is a good name, too.  )  The drop off in participation here is a good barometer of how really awful these things are...truly no one even at this site, the best stooge site in the world, wants to sit through them.  Perhaps those of us who remain can imitate the writers and producers of these last travesties, and just stay drunk through the whole mess.

Thanks Big Chief.  I actually think the conversations should get more interesting with Besser and Derita in the fold. Love 'em or hate 'em, they warrant strong opinion.  I am right now in the toughest phase as far as reviewing goes, but I'll slug it out.  I admit there is one of these stock footage jobs I can think of that's pretty good because the new footage is so interesting, yet that's few and far between.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
DeRita's films should be interesting if only because of the length, meaning there is more to discuss.  I look forward to watching most of those for the first time ever.

Big Chief, at least we are allowed to have negative opinions unlike the Three Stooges Unite Facebook group, where you get thrown out for saying anything bad about the shorts or Besser (not that anything is wrong with Besser himself, although there is plenty wrong with the horse epics).  And they're really rotten in that the admins then post threads naming those thrown out and mocking them... really a bunch of idiots who can just throw quotes around without a single intelligent thought most of the time.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

DeRita's films should be interesting if only because of the length, meaning there is more to discuss.  I look forward to watching most of those for the first time ever.

Big Chief, at least we are allowed to have negative opinions unlike the Three Stooges Unite Facebook group, where you get thrown out for saying anything bad about the shorts or Besser (not that anything is wrong with Besser himself, although there is plenty wrong with the horse epics).  And they're really rotten in that the admins then post threads naming those thrown out and mocking them... really a bunch of idiots who can just throw quotes around without a single intelligent thought most of the time.

Is this Three Stooges Unite Facebook group linked to C3 or just from fans?  I'm not a Facebook guy, so I don't know much about it.
- Doug Sarnecky

I've never heard of that site, either.  I just quick- posted an extremely witty and erudite post that vanished - trust me, it was a masterpiece - if any of you find it and know how to retrieve it, please do.  I've lost a few on Quick Post, which this one was - no more quick posts for me.

O K here's one more try at an abbreviated quick-post:
     Films like Jerks of all Trades and Gold Raiders are very difficult to find, as opposed to the classics that we all saw again and again in our youth.  To see those, you would have to pony up bucks for a set that you know is third-rate stooges.  If they're on YouTube, you're watching not the original movie, and not even a TV show ( which you could watch with your gang and laugh with your gang ) but alone in front of your computer, which, let's face it, sucks.  This limits the audience, to say the least - I would guess that the number of stoogeophiles who have seen Gold Raiders is less than 10 per cent of those that have seen, say, We Want Our Mummy.  We are now at a very low number of reviewers, since these films have not been seen nor valued nor reviewed nor remembered by very many people at all.  There are completists out there who, bless them, want every last foot of film that exists, and I think we are in their territory now, since entertainment-and/or-comedy wise, we are in the pits.  I'm hanging on until the Curly-Joes, which I think are a major leap up, albeit in a different direction, from what was going on since 1953.
     This entry ended up being twice as long as the one that got accidentally erased.  I picked a fine week to give up crystal meth.
     And, oh, yes, by the way, the stooge routines in Gold Raiders are excellent, and the rest of the movie would work well as an OTC substitute for Ambien.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
     This entry ended up being twice as long as the one that got accidentally erased.  I picked a fine week to give up crystal meth.
     And, oh, yes, by the way, the stooge routines in Gold Raiders are excellent, and the rest of the movie would work well as an OTC substitute for Ambien.

It's the heroin :D  [pie]

But Gold Raiders is shown on AMC from time-to-time... more frequently than they show any Besser shorts, for sure.  JERKS, on the other hand, I think we have enough diehards who'd go searching for it as it is on the web in enough corners.

And I watch every short of my computer!  Why I oughta...  [3stooges]
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Is this Three Stooges Unite Facebook group linked to C3 or just from fans?  I'm not a Facebook guy, so I don't know much about it.

Just from fans, I think...
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Almost caught upon on Laurel & Hardy!  I have a movie to watch, I believe, to officially be "up to date."  I refuse to watch CHICKENS COME HOME because that kind of plot drives me insane because they just... are stupid.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

Review will be early, Thursday night.  Let's just say I have a lot of plans this weekend. [yay]
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Well, early or late, this week might be another nondescript Shemp time-waster. I'm not sure, it's been awhile since I watched Scotched in Scotland....

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.