Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Introduction to the weekly episode discussions

Dunrobin · 893 · 176308

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

Random question:  as fun as it's been talking about Curly, who here is getting pumped for Shemp?  I know I am!  We're getting close.
As you can tell by my username, I love Shemp way more than Curly! So, I am very excited!! I'm also very excited for Half-Wits Holiday because its Emil Sitka's first appearance!!!!
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I'm pretty stoked that we're getting closer to the Shemp era. A lot of good discussion should come from that--just like there will no doubt be scintillating talk when we get to the "back of Joe Palma's Head" and Joe Besser...    ;)
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

I'm pretty stoked that we're getting closer to the Shemp era. A lot of good discussion should come from that--just like there will no doubt be scintillating talk when we get to the "back of Joe Palma's Head" and Joe Besser...    ;)
I wonder if we're doing the Joe DeRita era..

Offline metaldams

I wonder if we're doing the Joe DeRita era..

I forgot to answer this.  The five Columbia Derita features will directly follow SAPPY BULLFIGHTERS, and after this there will be random other features the boys appeared in, all the Columbia solo shorts, and selected Shemp Vitaphone shorts.
- Doug Sarnecky

I forgot to answer this.  The five Columbia Derita features will directly follow SAPPY BULLFIGHTERS, and after this there will be random other features the boys appeared in, all the Columbia solo shorts, and selected Shemp Vitaphone shorts.
If you're ever having any stress/seeking help with the selection of these shorts, may I suggest for " random other features",

SWING PARADE OF 1946
SOUP TO NUTS
HOLLYWOOD PARTY
MEET THE BARON
GOLD RAIDERS
DANCING LADY
MRYT AND MARGE
FUGITIVE LOVERS
STAR-SPANGLED SALESMAN ( even though The Boys cameo in it)
4 FOR TEXAS
Selected episodes of THE NEW 3 STOOGES
START CHEERING
THE CAPTAIN HATES THE SEA
MY SISTER EILEEN
TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM

I also would suggest the Ted Healy shorts, except I think that would've been a better idea for earlier. And, for the Shemp movies, could we possibly do the 2 Fatty Arbuckle shorts he was in? ( If you were to pick 1, I would pick In The Dough. He has a more prominent role.)

Offline metaldams

If you're ever having any stress/seeking help with the selection of these shorts, may I suggest for " random other features",

SWING PARADE OF 1946
SOUP TO NUTS
HOLLYWOOD PARTY
MEET THE BARON
GOLD RAIDERS
DANCING LADY
MRYT AND MARGE
FUGITIVE LOVERS
STAR-SPANGLED SALESMAN ( even though The Boys cameo in it)
4 FOR TEXAS
Selected episodes of THE NEW 3 STOOGES
START CHEERING
THE CAPTAIN HATES THE SEA
MY SISTER EILEEN
TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM

I also would suggest the Ted Healy shorts, except I think that would've been a better idea for earlier. And, for the Shemp movies, could we possibly do the 2 Fatty Arbuckle shorts he was in? ( If you were to pick 1, I would pick In The Dough. He has a more prominent role.)

Oh yeah, the Healy shorts as well.  If/when we get there, the films with more prominent roles will be discussed.  Expect stuff like SWING PARADE OF 1946, MEET THE BARON, SOUP TO NUTS, but don't expect MY SISTER EILEEN and 4 FOR TEXAS.  The exact list and order will be decided when the time comes, we have a way to go.
- Doug Sarnecky

Oh yeah, the Healy shorts as well.  If/when we get there, the films with more prominent roles will be discussed.  Expect stuff like SWING PARADE OF 1946, MEET THE BARON, SOUP TO NUTS, but don't expect MY SISTER EILEEN and 4 FOR TEXAS.  The exact list and order will be decided when the time comes, we have a way to go.
Yeah, no kidding! We have about 2 years until their assorted features!!

Offline metaldams

A youtube link to the entire DUCK SOUP film has been posted in the corresponding thread, though it can only be watched on PCs and not mobile devices.  If you are Marx Brothers deficient, take a chance, watch the film, and throw in a comment or two.  This masterpiece deserves more discussion.

http://moronika.com/forums/index.php/topic,5394.0.html
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

All the Laurel and Hardy silents where they are not really a team have been watched and been given brief reviews.  Click the link below. 

http://moronika.com/forums/index.php/topic,5432.0.html

Tomorrow night will be the NIGHT IN CASABLANCA review, next week will be a Laurel and Hardy surprise, the final installment of the Marx Brothers in LOVE HAPPY, and our usual Stooge review.  Then the week after we will get into the meat of the Laurel and Hardy films where classics are made and they're truly a team.  DUCK SOUP and DO DETECTIVES THINK? are the first two shorts to get real reviews instead of brief write ups as I feel they were truly a team in them, and then we go from THE SECOND HUNDRED YEARS forward in chronological order.  I hope you guys will join in or at least enjoying reading these. I will post YouTube clips for you guys who haven't seen these films before.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I realize the Laurel and Hardy silent films, especially the pre-team shorts, may be hard to generate discussion due to them not being cheap and easy to access, at least on DVD or Blu-Ray in the States.  That said, for you guys and gals not familiar with these shorts, I just added YouTube links to each short (yes, they're all available), so check them out if you're interested.  Eleven shorts are covered in this one thread.

- Doug Sarnecky

I realize the Laurel and Hardy silent films, especially the pre-team shorts, may be hard to generate discussion due to them not being cheap and easy to access, at least on DVD or Blu-Ray in the States.  That said, for you guys and gals not familiar with these shorts, I just added YouTube links to each short (yes, they're all available), so check them out if you're interested.  Eleven shorts are covered in this one thread.

I'm not adding to that one thread, as I'm busy at work creating a YouTube channel and do not have the time to watch all of those shorts. In the past, I have watched The Lucky Dog, Flying Elephants, and Sugar Daddies except that was a very long time ago. I believe I also watched Sailors, Beware! but I'm not sure.

Offline metaldams

I'm not adding to that one thread, as I'm busy at work creating a YouTube channel and do not have the time to watch all of those shorts. In the past, I have watched The Lucky Dog, Flying Elephants, and Sugar Daddies except that was a very long time ago. I believe I also watched Sailors, Beware! but I'm not sure.

No problem, participate whenever you want and post us to your YouTube channel when it's ready.
- Doug Sarnecky

No problem, participate whenever you want and post us to your YouTube channel when it's ready.
It's really turned into my son's YouTube account, anyways.. Anyhow, I was wondering if we could do the Our Gang/The Little Rascals shorts right after Buster Keaton.

Offline metaldams

It's really turned into my son's YouTube account, anyways.. Anyhow, I was wondering if we could do the Our Gang/The Little Rascals shorts right after Buster Keaton.

That's a LONG way off.  I'll consider it, though.  I have to admit I'm more a casual Our Ganf fan than I am of the major clowns, but I have the set of the Roach films (the one people complain about because of the Blackhawk prints), and can easily buy the MGM set.  If I do those films, it won't be at a level of expertise, more like a second and third viewing (and in the MGM case, first), but that actually would be a cool challenge.  I'll consider it, and it will give me time to hunt down silents as well. 
- Doug Sarnecky

That's a LONG way off.  I'll consider it, though.  I have to admit I'm more a casual Our Ganf fan than I am of the major clowns, but I have the set of the Roach films (the one people complain about because of the Blackhawk prints), and can easily buy the MGM set.  If I do those films, it won't be at a level of expertise, more like a second and third viewing (and in the MGM case, first), but that actually would be a cool challenge.  I'll consider it, and it will give me time to hunt down silents as well.
The silent are more likely to find on YouTube than on DVD. They have various sets of the many public domain silents on Amazon, while a complete collection of them has sadly not been made so far. Yes, I do understand that's a long time into the future, as I tried to count the number of L&H movies and Keaton movies, and judging by my count, that would be around 4 years into the near future. Well, in 2019, we'll be saying, " That went by real quick!"

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Nothing of great value to add, except to say that it will probably be a month or a little less than a month until we'll be cracking open the Shemp years on the weekly discussions. I think it will be great fun (I hate fun)....

:D
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Just a quick question for Metaldams: This is incredibly far in the future, except I like to plan ahead. When the Stooges discussion is over and the L&H discussion is still going on, will you do the Buster Keaton discussion in place for the Stooges discussion. There was also some brief talk with me, you, and a few others about a possible Our Gang/The Little Rascals discussion. When the L&H discussion is over, will the Our Gang/The Little Rascals discussion take the L&H discussion's place? This may sound a bit confusing.

Offline metaldams

Believe it or not, the only Shemp I have seen since we started this discussion is his Vitaphone shorts.  Friday night will be the first time in about two years since I've seen a Shemp Stooge short, so needless to say, I'm pretty excited!  Friday can't get here soon enough.
- Doug Sarnecky

I have a question.. I saw your brief comment on the Half-Wits Holiday board concerning Stop, Look, and Laugh! I was just wondering if when we review the Healy shorts and some assorted features, will we do Stop, Look, and Laugh!?

Offline metaldams

I have a question.. I saw your brief comment on the Half-Wits Holiday board concerning Stop, Look, and Laugh! I was just wondering if when we review the Healy shorts and some assorted features, will we do Stop, Look, and Laugh!?

We will never do STOP, LOOK, and LAUGH; or at least I won't.  The film's a waste of time to me, but if somebody wants to start a thread on it in the general discussion thread, knock yourself out.  It will probably get more views and comments than BIG BUSINESS. ;)
- Doug Sarnecky

We will never do STOP, LOOK, and LAUGH; or at least I won't.  The film's a waste of time to me, but if somebody wants to start a thread on it in the general discussion thread, knock yourself out.  It will probably get more views and comments than BIG BUSINESS. ;)
Yep, probably.  ;) Well, I'll have to watch the movie again before I start a thread about it.. Don't get me wrong, Paul Winchell is a great ventriloquist and I do enjoy his sequences, except a ventriloquist mixed with The Three Stooges mixed with chimps just doesn't mesh very well, in my opinion.

Offline Larrys#1

While I don't mind that you forgo STOP, LOOK, and LAUGH, I hope you consider doing the DeRita flicks when we get to them. While they may not be as good, it's still fun to review and read what people have to say about them...

Offline metaldams

While I don't mind that you forgo STOP, LOOK, and LAUGH, I hope you consider doing the DeRita flicks when we get to them. While they may not be as good, it's still fun to review and read what people have to say about them...

The Derita features, no matter what one may think of their quality, have something new to offer and will be interesting to discuss.  HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL will follow SAPPPY BULLFIGHTERS.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
What about GOLD RAIDERS and other such films?  I assume those will come after the DeRita films?
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

What about GOLD RAIDERS and other such films?  I assume those will come after the DeRita films?

Exactly.  After the 190, I will do the five Columbia Derita features, then go from SOUP TO NUTS to KOOKS TOUR in order, doing films I feel important enough to review and leaving out the tiny cameos.  I haven't figured out how to handle the cartoons yet, but that's way off.  GOLD RAIDERS will have its day.
- Doug Sarnecky