Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Introduction to the weekly episode discussions

Dunrobin · 893 · 176404

Offline metaldams

Offline metaldams

Discovering this Emil Sitka website, which contains articles, usually with diary entries Sitka wrote himself at the time of filming (!), I've decided to include the links to any film Sitka was in the corresponding short thread.  Some really good, first hand accounts here, and I've went back and included the one for HALF-WITS HOLIDAY, so go back to that thread and check it out.  It appears most of the cast was unaware of Curly's condition outside of the boys and Jules White.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Larrys#1

The Derita features, no matter what one may think of their quality, have something new to offer and will be interesting to discuss.  HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL will follow SAPPPY BULLFIGHTERS.

Perfect.... sounds good.

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
Discovering this Emil Sitka website, which contains articles, usually with diary entries Sitka wrote himself at the time of filming (!), I've decided to include the links to any film Sitka was in the corresponding short thread.  Some really good, first hand accounts here, and I've went back and included the one for HALF-WITS HOLIDAY, so go back to that thread and check it out.  It appears most of the cast was unaware of Curly's condition outside of the boys and Jules White.

I claim to rights to that bit in ALL GUMMED UP and BUBBLE TROUBLE!   [pie] :police:
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

I claim to rights to that bit in ALL GUMMED UP and BUBBLE TROUBLE!   [pie] :police:

If I don't mention it in my initial review...you killjoy....then you better damn well make it good when you bring it up.   I'm trusting you, make it receive my rubber stamp of approval.  :police:
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

It looks like Red Sox Vs. Yankees will be on MLB network, so if my review is a few hours later tomorrow night, you know why.  Looking forward to ALL GUMMED UP and talking to you guys as usual.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

...delay of games due to lights out in the stadium, it's 11:20 PM, even I have my limits.  Time to watch ALL GUMMED UP.  Review in about and hour to 90 minutes top.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

The ALL GUMMED UP review is now ready, and the game is still on!  15 innings and counting.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline luke795

Are you going to review to silent and sound versions of Double Whoopee and the silent and sound versions of Unaccustomed As We Are?

Offline metaldams

Are you going to review to silent and sound versions of Double Whoopee and the silent and sound versions of Unaccustomed As We Are?

As separate entries?  No.  Worth a mention in the main entries?  Yes, which is also how I'll handle foreign language versions.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_is_Awesome78

As separate entries?  No.  Worth a mention in the main entries?  Yes, which is also how I'll handle foreign language versions.
Yeah, I was wondering what you were going to do about the foreign language versions.
Abbottt: Stop smoking in here, Costello!
Costello: What makes you think I'm smoking?
Abbott: You have a cigar in your mouth!
Costello: I got my shoes on, but I'm not walking!

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I know I'm looking ahead a bit, but since we are into the Shemp years, I have to ask Metal when or if the tv pilot Jerks of All Trades will come up in the rotation?
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Diesel, JERKS OF ALL TRADES will not be part of the 190, but will be discussed after the 190 shorts and five Derita Columbia features as Stooge films I feel the Stooges are prominent enough for review (so SOUP TO NUTS will follow THE OUTLAWS IS COMING).

Funny, I have more people asking about Laurel and Hardy reviews than commenting on them! [pie]  At least you're reading them. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Since even the guy who reviews Stooge shorts every week has plans on the occasional weekend, this week the Stooge review will be Thursday night and Laurel and Hardy review Friday night.  Adjust your comedy clocks.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline luke795

Are you going to review Hollywood Party and do you consider it a Laurel and Hardy film or a Three Stooges film?

Offline metaldams

Are you going to review Hollywood Party and do you consider it a Laurel and Hardy film or a Three Stooges film?

I've been wrestling with this one.  First off, I have never seen the entire film, just the Laurel and Hardy and Stooge parts.  It definitely won't be a main entry, but I might find a way to throw it in there once the main body of work for both teams is done.  It would be a nice meeting of both worlds, though I don't believe they ever appear together, sadly.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I'm thinking about this because I just finished watching it--but I have to say, now that we are into the Shemp years, the forthcoming discussion about "Lady Godiva" should be fun. I think we're still a few months away from it, but fun nonetheless...   :D
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

I'm thinking about this because I just finished watching it--but I have to say, now that we are into the Shemp years, the forthcoming discussion about "Lady Godiva" should be fun. I think we're still a few months away from it, but fun nonetheless...   :D

I'm looking forward to late 40's and early 50's Shemp, period.  That's the most fascinating Shemp stuff overall in my eyes.  But yeah, the style of acting you are looking forward to discussing is something a termite can feast on.

....and this weekend, SQUAREHEADS OF THE ROUNDTABLE and TWO TARS!  One of the better one two punches I'll probably end up doing.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Thank you to you guys who are reading these Laurel and Hardy silent reviews.  The latest review of HABEAS CORPUS is linked below.  As a reminder, even though in 1929 with strict release order, there were some silents released after talkies, I've decided to do all the silents as a group first, then go to the talkies.  The silents were all filmed before the talkies anyway, in spite of release order.  We have eight more silents to go.  I'm hoping things will pick up more once we get to the talkies as far as views and replies go, as they are more famous and more available, so you guys waiting for the talkies, we have two months to go.  In the meantime, I'm hoping you guys find these silent reviews fun, educational, or maybe a little of both.  I know I'm enjoying this batch of films, and unlike the Stooge and Marx stuff I've reviewed, I haven't seen these silents one million times, so there is a relative freshness factor involved.  Again, latest review, linked below, and all of these shorts are available on YouTube, and I provide the links, so if you REALLY wanna check them out....

http://moronika.com/forums/index.php/topic,5513.0.html
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Later today I'll be including a review and YouTube link to Laurel and Hardy's BIG BUSINESS.  It is considered their masterpiece as far as silent shorts go, and even if you don't regularly participate in the Laurel and Hardy discussions, I would love to hear a few different opinions on this short, even if it's, "Metaldams, these guys aren't funny, now when do we get to SELF MADE MAIDS?"  That said, I can't see anybody not finding BIG BUSINESS funny, I almost guarantee you'll enjoy it.  So please, if you have the time, spend twenty minutes to watch it and post a few sentences in response. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Only three more silents left for Laurel and Hardy, then we get to the more readily available talkies.  I know a couple of you have stated you have access to the talkies and not the silents, is that the case with more of you too?  Anyway, while this is definitely the deepest I have gone into the Stan and Ollie silents (past viewings have been more spread out), and I've had tons of fun watching these, the talking Hal Roach era, what they're most known for, is coming up, and this should be real fun.  The silents I'm doing as a group, but the talking era will be chronological, so the features will come in as they are thrown in between shorts.

Looking forward to this upcoming batch of Shemp shorts, as I think the late 40's and early 50's have some films that have lots of different opinions and should lead to good conversation.  This is a batch of films I admire as a group.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

PERFECT DAY for Laurel and Hardy will be tomorrow as scheduled, but my next Stooge review where we start the fifties will be Wednesday night.  Have a very busy four day weekend where I'll be visiting my old home town and Boston.  Looking forward to it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Metal, the Sox are in the cellar and Joe Tecce's has closed.  There's really no reason to go to Boston at all.

Offline metaldams

Metal, the Sox are in the cellar and Joe Tecce's has closed.  There's really no reason to go to Boston at all.

Still follow the Sox for the young guys and because following the Sox is what I do, but I'm not going to a game.  Just visiting the city for a few hours. Going with my seven year old nephew, who's never been there.

Last time I was at Fenway was in 2010.  The only game of a four game series Boston beat Texas.  Extra inning walk off sac fly from Kevin Youkilis, who also tied the game one out away from defeat to take it to extras.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Next Laurel and Hardy review will be in a few hours.  Just about back from vacation.  I saw a Dodo Bird.  My life rocks!
- Doug Sarnecky