Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Monkey Businessmen (1946)

metaldams · 41 · 17046

Offline Paul Pain

• Moronika's resident meteorologist
  • Muttonhead
  • The heartthrob of millions!
My point was that Curly was STILL making shorts at Columbia's demand even when it was already known that he needed to take an extended leave.  No, 32 filming days is actually not that bad, but look at those horrible travel schedules you posted.  I am 21, and I would be destroyed by that schedule.  The Shemp era needed to start sooner and have end sooner.  After Shemp's death, it probably would have been better to cancel the touring arrangements, find a good replacement (which they did NOT do in Joe Besser), and then just make the remaining shorts in a more condensed time frame.
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline metaldams

My point was that Curly was STILL making shorts at Columbia's demand even when it was already known that he needed to take an extended leave.  No, 32 filming days is actually not that bad, but look at those horrible travel schedules you posted.  I am 21, and I would be destroyed by that schedule.  The Shemp era needed to start sooner and have end sooner.  After Shemp's death, it probably would have been better to cancel the touring arrangements, find a good replacement (which they did NOT do in Joe Besser), and then just make the remaining shorts in a more condensed time frame.

The Three Stooges signed a contract to Columbia after it was known Curly was sick, as they did every year.  It wasn't Columbia's demand, Columbia didn't make them sign the contracts.  Same goes with the stage work and tours. Like I said, maybe Curly had to work, financially.  We don't know.  I just don't feel comfortable making Columbia the bad guy here, there were probably so many factors involved, and based on what I've read, Curly did not take care of himself.  That's on Curly.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
look at those horrible travel schedules you posted.  I am 21, and I would be destroyed by that schedule. 

Arranged by Moe, agreed to by Curly.  Columbia had nothing to do with their live appearances.

There were no "POS'es to burn in hell" as you stated.  Just well-intended, but ill-advised judgment with tragic consequences. 

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
In Shemp's case...
  • Live appearance tour workloads reduced as well during this period, and I don't think they did any in 1955 (but I do have a follow-up inquiry pending on this).  Shemp was not overworked...

Follow-up, from Stoogeum records...
One live appearance in all of 1954 - 1955, on 5/31/55 at the Naval hospital in Corona CA.  Scheduled, but not confirmed as having taken place.

Offline Larrys#1

The Three Stooges signed a contract to Columbia after it was known Curly was sick, as they did every year.  It wasn't Columbia's demand, Columbia didn't make them sign the contracts.  Same goes with the stage work and tours. Like I said, maybe Curly had to work, financially.  We don't know.  I just don't feel comfortable making Columbia the bad guy here, there were probably so many factors involved, and based on what I've read, Curly did not take care of himself.  That's on Curly.

Agreed.... Curly had so many personal problems. He had problems with his diet and issues when fooling around with women. He drove himself into health and financial problems.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Putting the Curly debate aside...

Watched this short today, and it was even funnier noticing the nuances posted on this page.  Good stuff.

"What'd you give him?"
"Ether"
"Ether?"
"Either the bottle or the hammer."
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Yes, a good short in spite of all the ordeal Mr. Bernds went through making it--I especially like Curly's little fit when he hears that some "Nurses" are going to take care of him; Nurses, nurses, beautiful nurses...   :D
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Yes, a good short in spite of all the ordeal Mr. Bernds went through making it--I especially like Curly's little fit when he hears that some "Nurses" are going to take care of him; Nurses, nurses, beautiful nurses...   :D

"Nurses, nurses, beautiful nurses" is a line I think to myself when I walk in a hospital, so yes, a Stooge line that has crept into my real life.  Used most cheerily when my nephew was born.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Kopfy2013

As was brought out on this post there's a lot of little things, Nuances and make this short interesting. Nurse Shapely definitely got my attention.

The cast helps out.

Under "Stooge Goofs" on this site I did not see where Moe kept elbowing Curly. And what time during the short did this happen?

By the way I also enjoyed 'Be a Stooge' input with facts and dates on this post.

I thought Larry did very well in this  short.

I will give it a seven. The different puns and one-liners. Plus the casts acting and the story and especially Nurse Shapely overrides the struggles of Curly so that it is a seven instead of six.
Niagara Falls

Offline Kopfy2013

So are we in agreement that under Stooge Goofs when Curly falls off the stretcher that is Bud Jamison yelling?
Niagara Falls

Offline Shemp_Diesel

So are we in agreement that under Stooge Goofs when Curly falls off the stretcher that is Bud Jamison yelling?

Certainly sounded like Bud to me--although I couldn't tell you which short that yell originates from, if that was your next question...   ;)
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Would you call that a goof?  More like a simple funny overdub to me, like that "ugh" that always crops up, which I think is also Bud.

Offline Paul Pain

• Muttonhead
Would you call that a goof?  More like a simple funny overdub to me, like that "ugh" that always crops up, which I think is also Bud.

In general, such things are included as "goofs" on the episode pages.  Since Lefty mentioned it, I should give a shout out to Wade Crosby.  What an incredible job he did.  Usually things don't work so well when another character is stupid like the Stooges, but Wade did fantastic.  He successfully made the Stooges look smart with his knowledge of tools like a "hammerdammerclesius."

A lot of neat things to observe here.  Any one note that when Curly gets the platter thrown at him, it strangely resembles cardboard?
#1 fire kibitzer

Offline Woe-ee-Woe-Woe80

Good stooge short and one of the better shorts produced during Curly's post-stroke period, I'm glad this short was directed by Edward Bernds instead of Jules White because Bernds found a way to get around Curly's health to where he can show some contributions instead of pushing Curly in the background like Jules White did during this time period, I also thought Kenneth MacDonald gave a great, memorable performance as Dr. Mallard in his debut with the Stooges, also is it just me or is this one of the rare shorts where Moe doesn't hit Larry?

I give Monkey Businessmen a 7/10.

Offline Dr. Mabuse

My favorite 1946 short after "Three Little Pirates." Curly fares better than expected while director Bernds keeps things moving at a nice clip.  Great supporting cast to boot. An underrated gem.

8/10
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 02:10:41 AM by Dr. Mabuse »