The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2013 Baseball Thread...

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
RED SOX WIN THE PENNANT! WATAH!
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Perhaps now the worst baseball commentating duo in the world will STFU about Detroit's pitching after this game. Thank goodness McCarver is retiring, wish Buck would too.

....not to mention wondering how Salty communicates with Uehara since Uehara doesn't speak English.  It may not be his first language, but last I checked, he does.

For a team supposed to be in last place, they've been incredible.  I knew they'd be good since they got a bunch of gritty veterans, but not this good.  I will admit I'm not surprised by Uehara.  I thought he's been overlooked for years and was excited when I heard Boston signed him.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

By the way, this Xander Boagerts seems like the real deal.  He's about 20 or 21 and already has veteran plate discipline and handles himself well in interviews.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
By the way, this Xander Boagerts seems like the real deal.  He's about 20 or 21 and already has veteran plate discipline and handles himself well in interviews.

I have been saying that since the beginning of the season. When the Peavy trade happened I knew we would be fine losing Iglesias because we had Bogaerts in the wings.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

I have been saying that since the beginning of the season. When the Peavy trade happened I knew we would be fine losing Iglesias because we had Bogaerts in the wings.

Speaking of Iggy, such irony that for a guy known for his defense, his error is what opened up this game for us.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Speaking of Iggy, such irony that for a guy known for his defense, his error is what opened up this game for us.

I had a shit eating grin on my face when he made that error. I knew, and Hunter knew too from  the look on his face, that it was all over for the Tigers. The first time since 1999 the teams with the best regular season records in each league meet in the World Series, that's amazing.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Jim, here's a present for you.

http://forums.nyyfans.com/showthread.php/132833-ALCS-Tigers-vs-Red-Sox/page10

That is one of the best presents I have ever received. A bunch of loser Yankees fans, with nothing left to pull for except a Red Sox loss, sucking on sour grapes. I'm surprised that none of them brought up the "27 rings" security blanket while they sucked their thumbs and cried. Poor babies, don't get sad because we took out the team that swept your overpriced whores in last year's ALCS. Enjoy being makeshift Cardinals fans (or hoping that a blizzard takes out the entire Series) LMAO!

I wonder how many strokes Jeter and A-Rod have shaved off their handicaps?

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Congrats once again to all the Sox fans. What a turn around from last year to now, wow. I'm not expecting much of a World Series, same as 2004, almost. I'll give the Cards a game, Boston in 5...
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Lefty

Some random thoughts:

The last time I rooted for the National League to win the World Series with neither the Phillies nor the Yankees in it was in ... in ... well, I can't remember.  All I know is that it won't change this year.

Shane Victorino is "Mr. Grand Slam October" -- last night's pennant clincher, and the one in 2008 off of C.C. Slobathia that was the turning point of the Phillies NLDS win over Milwaukee.  At least he doesn't have to worry about Drecky Corroded trying to hit him in the head again.

Sox fans, mute your television sets for the Series -- Cardinal shills Joe Schmuck and Tim McCarver are broadcasting the games, none of which will probably end before midnight.  The World Series had better ratings when the games were played during the day.  Now all leagues want to cater to the West Coast, which has no real sports fans -- and I have family out there, natives of Philly, who can verify this.

Even though the Cardinals are my least favorite N.L. team, not easy with the teams in the East, the Phillies could (and should) learn from them how to run a baseball or-guh-nye-zay-shun -- except for giving the umpires cases of beer before each game.  RIP, Wally Bell.

Xander "Humphrey" Bogaerts would have been an ex-Red Sox player had Cliff Lee been on a team with a GM other than Ruin Tomorrow Jr., Brian Cashman, or Theo Epstein.  The respective reasons are stupidity, Yankees, and former Red Sox.

Offline metaldams

I wonder how many strokes Jeter and A-Rod have shaved off their handicaps?

Not too sure about Jeter's golf game, but I imagine A Rod's spending more time with lawyers than playing golf.  Popcorn, anyone?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

Congrats and good luck to all you Red Sox fans.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

The screaming at the TV screen commences.  I'm generally a mellow guy, so there's shock when people see me watching a Boston game.  This first game I'm watching at home, but the next two will be at bars, so I guess I need to somehow restrain myself.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The screaming at the TV screen commences.  I'm generally a mellow guy, so there's shock when people see me watching a Boston game.  This first game I'm watching at home, but the next two will be at bars, so I guess I need to somehow restrain myself.

I pissed off a close, non-sports fan friend of mine who tried to bust my balls during Game 6. Don't fuck with me while the Sox are in the playoffs.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Game 1 in the books as an easy Red Sox win. Lester was lights out tonight.

Offline metaldams

Game 1 in the books as an easy Red Sox win. Lester was lights out tonight.

A much easier game to watch than any of the ALCS games, though not very good baseball.  The Cardinals looked like shit defensively out there, that Drew "hit" being one for the ages.

This season keeps getting better and better.  At worst, I can now say my team won a World Series game.  Looking forward to seeing if Wacha meets the hype tomorrow.  I remember what happened the last time the media overlooked John Lackey.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Boston Strong motherfuckers!

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Congratulations to all the Red Sox fans, wish I could have seen it live, but I'm enjoying SportsCenter just the same. 

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

They won on my brother's birthday.  He's obviously thrilled.  I also let out a rare "fuck yeah" in front of my mother when Victorino hit the bases clearing triple.  Also incredible to see how John Lackey's stock in Boston turned around. 

A perfect season.

By the way, do you guys remember Cardinals fan Whoa Moe/Boid Brain?  The guy who claims he never watched an American League game.  I remember he said he never heard of Jon Lester.  I betcha that's changed.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Squirrelbait

Congrats to the Red Sox!
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
They won on my brother's birthday.  He's obviously thrilled.  I also let out a rare "fuck yeah" in front of my mother when Victorino hit the bases clearing triple.  Also incredible to see how John Lackey's stock in Boston turned around. 

A perfect season.

By the way, do you guys remember Cardinals fan Whoa Moe/Boid Brain?  The guy who claims he never watched an American League game.  I remember he said he never heard of Jon Lester.  I betcha that's changed.

I was watching an international feed (nice not having to hear Buck & McCarver, happy retirement asshole!) and the color guy started talking about no more Curse of the Bambino since they won at home. Correct me if my memory's faulty but didn't we earn the right to lose all of that bullshit curse talk back in 2004?

Offline Lefty

Mazel Tov, Red Sox!  I did not watch much of the Series, what with hockey and Match Game and wrestling and the 76ers' win over the Miami Cheat last night and having to get up 0530 hours weekdays for work -- but I did see Victorino's 25-foot-high double.  I was hoping for a slam, but it is what it is.  I also found it funny that right before the hit, Faux showed his grand slam against C.C. Sabathia from 5 years ago to jump-start the Phillies to a title.

Only 23 more years till the next Phillies' championship, beating the Mariners in their first World Series appearance!   ;D

Offline JazzBill

Congrats to all my Boston fan friends. Chicago sports radio is officially calling Boston " Title Town ".  With the Red Sox, Patriots and Celtics all winning one or more championships in the last few years they certainly earned the title. Hell, the Bruins  almost won one too.  [clap]
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Thanks for the congrats, guys.  No doubt I deserve it as well, as months of screaming at the television screen like a lunatic contributed to their success.

Three titles in ten years, Red Sox fans have gone from lovable losers to spoiled.  I think those of us who are old enough to remember where we came from can appreciate this.  That eleven year old Sox fan, I'm not so sure.

I now hope to see the Cubs win one before I die, and Boston every other one, bwa, ha, ha, haaaaaaa!  May I live to be 95.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Thanks for the congrats, guys.  No doubt I deserve it as well, as months of screaming at the television screen like a lunatic contributed to their success.

Three titles in ten years, Red Sox fans have gone from lovable losers to spoiled.  I think those of us who are old enough to remember where we came from can appreciate this.  That eleven year old Sox fan, I'm not so sure.

I now hope to see the Cubs win one before I die, and Boston every other one, bwa, ha, ha, haaaaaaa!  May I live to be 95.

It's amazing that there are walking, talking people who never had to go through the anguish that used to come with being a Red Sox fan. In the 9 years (10 seasons) that they've won 3 championships they have quickly gone from the "lovable losers" that you mentioned to one of the "most hated" (and of course most popular by nature) teams in all of sports. If anything this run of success has helped me empathize with the shit the Yankees and their fans go through. Don't get me wrong, I hate the Yankees with an undying passion (ribbed someone for wearing a Giambi jersey and a 1996 World Champions hat the other day) but we have quickly gone in the same boat. Success not only brings about bandwagon jumpers but the haters as well. I'd much rather have the bandwagon jumpers and haters and win than get pity and lose.

I don't think the Cubs are going to contend anytime soon, much less win a championship. That team needs a complete overhaul and if I'm not mistaken they pissed away their farm system like the Yankees, but at least the Yankees have a ring to show for it. Add to that they are in the same division as the Cards, Pirates and Reds; all three of which have the potential to be good for quite some time, and it's going to be awhile before the Cubs are any good again. The vast majority of World Series teams do it with a nucleus of guys who have either been around forever, guys that have come up through the system, rookies/prospects/sophomores, character/team guys and perhaps a big signing or two. Both the Red Sox and Cardinals, two teams that have figured prominently in the World Series scene recently, have done a great job of doing exactly this. Both teams will contend for a while and other teams could stand to learn from them.