Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2013 Baseball Thread...

Offline Shemp_Diesel

The season is a week old, and already we've got a lot of surprises. The Red Sox appear to be better than advertised, winning two out of three from the team that was supposed to win the AL pennant, the Blue Jays.

Another team that was supposed to win the pennant, the Angels are only 2-3 & Hamilton is scuffling at the plate. I have to think this is a make or break season for Mike Scioscia. If they don't get to the playoffs with that lineup, you can kiss his job goodbye.

A lot of top-flight pitchers went down today, Dickey, Price, Strasburg, Verlander, Matt Cain. It looks to be another wild year in MLB, but as always it's early and a lot can change...

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

I think the Red Sox have a better shot than most give them credit for.  They have a good collection of veterans with a little young talent sprinkled in for good measure.  Will Middlebrooks had a hell of a game today, the bullpen looks nasty, but the question is if the starting pitching will hold up.  Lackey being hurt is a bad omen.  Still, I'm getting a feeling this year's team actually wants to play baseball, so win or lose, I think they'll be an easier to root for than the past couple of teams.

Should be a fun season, and I'm looking forward to the Rangers vs. Angels game tonight.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

Yesterday sure was a great day for big-time pitchers.  Matt Cain, 9 runs allowed.  Cole Hamels, Robert Allen Dickey, and David Price, 8 runs each allowed.  At least the Yankees are no better than the Phillies, or versa vice.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

The Red Sox might be the real deal this year. They took down the supposedly big & bad Blue Jays & today beat the O's. First place in the division.

This might not be the Yankees year but I'm not ready to throw dirt on them just yet. Still waiting to see how they do once Jeter & a few other guys come back from injury. They might be old, but they were old last year & still won 95 games and made it to the ALCS. Hoping the Yankees finish last but won't be surprised if they don't.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
Wicked proud of my Red Sox, losing horribly to the Jays, but then coming back to knock the Jays out (kind of like what the Bruins are doing now to the Hurricanes!)
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline metaldams

I had to work during the game today, but watching the video of Nava hitting that bomb and Hanrahan recording the final out, there seems to be more energy in Fenway today than there's been in years, and the players really seemed pumped.  Really looking forward to this year, and I'm loving the Dodgers trade more and more everyday.  Like I said, win or lose, I actually like rooting or this team so far, which I couldn't say the past two seasons.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Whoa Moe

Yesterday sure was a great day for big-time pitchers.  Matt Cain, 9 runs allowed.  Cole Hamels, Robert Allen Dickey, and David Price, 8 runs each allowed.  At least the Yankees are no better than the Phillies, or versa vice.
That's correct, but those 9 earned runs on Cain By my Cards came in ONE inning! How can a manager let that happen?

Sorry Bosox fans: Toronto wins going away, Yanks 3rd. Detroit wins their div. again, the mighty Pujols, Hamilton, trumbo and Trout Angels will fall short, Frisco will run away with the NL West, Atlanta will win the NL east by 20 games while the Reds win the NL Central by 5, only to lose to the wild card Cards in the playoffs.

Unfortunatly the Cards will fall short if in the final round: AGAIN! There is really no reason for me to follow the season as I apparently know the outcome here in April! :(

Offline Shemp_Diesel

The Toronto Blue Jays ain't shit.  ;D Seriously though, I believe Baltimore & Tampa are going to slug it out for the AL East crown & maybe the Red Sox make things interesting.

Don't think I'm a Cards hater Whoa Moe, because I'm not but I don't see the playoffs for your Cardinals this year. In spite of what happened yesterday & today, I think the NL East is going to have 2 playoff teams, Washington and Atlanta, & the West with the Giants and Dodgers, leaving the only shot for the Cards being to win the NL Central & I think the Reds are too much for St. Louis this year.

Of course, I could be wrong; everytime you try counting the Cardinals out they make it into the postseason so we'll see how things go.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Anybody can win the AL East, and I think there are some paper tigers on that Toronto team. Two years, $25 million for a middle-aged knuckleballer who had an anomaly of a Cy Young season last year? Red Sox just lit him up a couple days ago.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I hope you're watching this one Doug...
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

I hope you're watching this one Doug...

Yes I did.  I get to watch all the Sunday games because I'm not working and I visit my parents who have the baseball package.  The past two Sunday games have been fun and Lester and Buchholz look great so far.  You know it's early in the season when the latter is sporting an ERA of 0.41, but still very impressive.  Just my gut talking but I think Ferrell being back on the team has boosted the morale of both.  I like Victorino so far too, he seems like he knows how to play situational baseball, something lacking on this team the past few years.

This was also the first time I watched a NESN broadcast this year. It was nice to hear Orsillo and Remy again.  Seeing Jenny Dell wasn't bad either (starts whistling "The Farmer in the Dell").
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

The Dodgers are proving that you can't buy a pennant, and I had them as one of my wild cards in the National League this year. Seems like all the fight has left this club ever since Greinke went down.

- Matt Harvey looks like the real deal so far in this young season. Pretty much the only bright spot in that Mets rotation, although Niese has been pretty good too, but the other starters, meh.

- I'll go on record right now that I believe in the Red Sox. I think they will be in the AL East race all the way 'til the end with the O's and the damn Yankees.

- So many experts, including myself had the Angels running away with the AL West. How is that working out so far?   ::)

Offline metaldams

4m
 Tim Britton @TimBritton
Clay Buchholz is the first MLB starter in 11 years to go at least seven innings with 2ER or fewer in his first five starts of the season.
ExpandReplyRetweetFavorite

Here's a tweet I copy and pasted.  Go Red Sox.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

Last night at the bowling alley, the Phillies/Mets' game was on the TV screens throughout the lanes, as is usually the case.  There is no sound nor is there any closed-captioning, so we had no idea what was going on in the bottom of the first inning.  We thought that the umpires were going to replay a Mets' double (we hadn't seen how the Mets got a runner to second base) to maybe make it a home run, but nothing became of it, despite the 10-minute delay.  This morning I found out that home plate umpire Brian O'Nora had swallowed his "chawin' terbacky" and had to leave the game.  That was more surprising than Kyle Kendrick pitching a complete game shutout.  Then again, the average weight of an umpire is 267 pounds, so maybe O'Nora thought it was regular food.  Joe West then asked him if he could have the rest of the bag to put on his cheese burger.

Offline metaldams

Jim, I don't know about you, but over these past five days, I might need to buy an Astros jersey.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

Bumping up this thread after precisely two months, I do hope that Comcast rebroadcasts last night's Phillies' game.  For the second time in 9 months, they won a game by a score of 16-1, this time handing the Dodgers their worse home loss since 1947, when they were in Brooklyn.  And the only L.A. "pitcher" whom the Phillies did not score against was Skip Schumacher, who allowed three baserunners in the last inning.  This practically guarantees the Cliff Lee will get no offensive support tonight against that Song Sung Blue, or whatever that guy's name is who will pitch a shutout because the Phillies have never faced him.

Offline metaldams

One thing I don't envy for you Phillie fans right now is that you're on a west coast trip. I hate those 10:00 games!

The Red Sox are 82 games into the season and have the best record in the AL.  While there are individual things I can complain about, big picture I am happy.  I just hope Uehara remains durable, because he may be the answer for closer.

This Red Sox team can blow a five run lead like last night, or a six run lead like that extra inning game against Tampa Bay, and still have the character not to give up and win.  This is the first Red Sox team in years where I can honestly say that unless if they are being blown out, I think they still have a shot until the game's over.  The past five or six years, if they're down 4 - 3 in the seventh, I write the game off because they never beat other team's bullpens.  I can't say the same for the 2013 team.  Boston closers have blown six leads, and I think they've won four of those games, if I'm not mistaken.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Here are some interesting facts about the season thus far:

In addition to the Red Sox, the other team to reach 50 wins before July in MLB is the Pittsburgh Pirates.

As of the time of this post, the lowly Houston Astros have scored more runs than the New York Yankees (310-308).

The combined records of two-team cities: New York 75-84, Chicago 67-92, Los Angeles 77-86.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
One thing I don't envy for you Phillie fans right now is that you're on a west coast trip. I hate those 10:00 games!

The Red Sox are 82 games into the season and have the best record in the AL.  While there are individual things I can complain about, big picture I am happy.  I just hope Uehara remains durable, because he may be the answer for closer.

This Red Sox team can blow a five run lead like last night, or a six run lead like that extra inning game against Tampa Bay, and still have the character not to give up and win.  This is the first Red Sox team in years where I can honestly say that unless if they are being blown out, I think they still have a shot until the game's over.  The past five or six years, if they're down 4 - 3 in the seventh, I write the game off because they never beat other team's bullpens.  I can't say the same for the 2013 team.  Boston closers have blown six leads, and I think they've won four of those games, if I'm not mistaken.

Make that seven blown leads and five of those games won.

Offline metaldams

Speaking of the Yankees, I'm rooting for them tonight.  However, a Yankee loss tonight would be the world's sweetest consolation prize.  I never count the Yankees out, but I also have to say they appear to be the least threatening Yankee team in twenty years.  It's about time.

Boston closers have now blown seven saves, and Boston has managed to win five of those games. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Shit Jim, we posted the same stat at the same time.  At least Uehara gave one up to Bautista, no shame there.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I could sense it coming because the first pitch of the AB was a slider high and near the middle of the plate. Just as I was thinking Uehara had gotten away with one he hangs a meatball that Bautista promptly disposed of. In the end it just added a little more spice to a great win.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Well, it finally happened & I was watching it live: Homer Bailey of the Reds no-hits the Giants, 1 walk shy of a perfect game. For a while there, I was thinking we might go a whole year without a no-no.

Offline metaldams

Well, it finally happened & I was watching it live: Homer Bailey of the Reds no-hits the Giants, 1 walk shy of a perfect game. For a while there, I was thinking we might go a whole year without a no-no.

Very impressive by Homer Bailey, especially to do it two seasons in a row....and how about Max Scherzer going 13 -0?  Good stuff.

The Red Sox win another walk off tonight, and I'm starting to get a little cocky about this team.  The past few years, a 1 - 1 game in Fenway and I think Boston's screwed (they lost every home game that was tied in the 9th last year, and there had to be about nine or ten of them), but this year, even after blowing a scoring opportunity in the 8th, I still thought the Sox would win.  This is the most magical Red Sox team in a long time, even the '07 championship team wasn't great at comebacks or winning late tie games.  Of course, they had Paps and Oki who were better at defending leads.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
Let's see if they can hold after the All-Star Break.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!