Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2013 Baseball Thread...

Offline metaldams

I'm not a big A-Rod fan, so it was nice to see Boston pitcher Ryan Dempster (ex Chicago Cub) nail him.

....and predictably helps blow a three run lead in the sixth inning.  I have never seen a pitcher blow more leads than this guy, though the bullpen officially blew the lead, only the 20th blown save of the season, in 44 opportunities.

While a part of me is happy to see Dempster hit A Rod, you do not do that crap leading off the second inning with a two run lead while in a tight pennant race and your worst starter on the mound.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline JazzBill

....and predictably helps blow a three run lead in the sixth inning.  I have never seen a pitcher blow more leads than this guy, though the bullpen officially blew the lead, only the 20th blown save of the season, in 44 opportunities.

While a part of me is happy to see Dempster hit A Rod, you do not do that crap leading off the second inning with a two run lead while in a tight pennant race and your worst starter on the mound.

You have a point there Metal. It wasn't the right time but I still don't like A Rod.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

You have a point there Metal. It wasn't the right time but I still don't like A Rod.

You're neutral as to the results of this game, so I can appreciate your hatred of A Rod.  Believe me, I can't stand the guy either. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

The Dempster stuff was classic, great baseball theatre. All the booing, the dramatic warnings from the ump, Girardi's theatrics, etc.

I'm surprised it took someone so long to go after ARod.

Offline Lefty

If I were the commissioner of baseball, besides firing Joe West, Angel Hernandez, Bob Davidson, and C.B. Bucknor, I would tell Faux and ESPN (Especially Stupid Programming for Numbskulls) that their boy A-Fraud and his team are not going to get special treatment by the remaining umpires to help the Skankees make the playoffs.  And I would have told Torrie's sugar daddy either to accept a lifetime ban a la Pete Rose, or have the Junkies forfeit the 2009 World Series (among other games).

It would thrill me no end on September 29th to have A-Roid hit into a triple play with the bases loaded in the top of the 9th with N.Y. leading by one run, and have Mariano Rivera blow the save and lose in the bottom of the 9th on errors by Roidriguez, knocking the Yuckies out of a playoff spot.

That said, I do wish the pinstriped pinheads good luck against teams other than the Phillies in interleague play in 2015 (regular season only).

Offline JazzBill

You called that one right. Last night I was happy to see A-Rod get drilled, but today after getting more details, Dempster was stupid. You shouldn't do something like that in middle of a Pennant Run. It probably cost Boston the game. And what the hells with Dempster? It took him four tries to hit the guy, I could do better than that. A bad move, all around.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

You called that one right. Last night I was happy to see A-Rod get drilled, but today after getting more details, Dempster was stupid. You shouldn't do something like that in middle of a Pennant Run. It probably cost Boston the game. And what the hells with Dempster? It took him four tries to hit the guy, I could do better than that. A bad move, all around.

I'm convinced Dempster is pitching hurt because he's been awful this year.  There's no surprise it took him four pitches to hit A Rod, his control's been that bad.  He's had a few good outings, but overall I'm not impressed.  He simply cannot pitch to the score, which is why he only has six wins.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

If I were the commissioner of baseball, besides firing Joe West, Angel Hernandez, Bob Davidson, and C.B. Bucknor, I would tell Faux and ESPN (Especially Stupid Programming for Numbskulls) that their boy A-Fraud and his team are not going to get special treatment by the remaining umpires to help the Skankees make the playoffs.  And I would have told Torrie's sugar daddy either to accept a lifetime ban a la Pete Rose, or have the Junkies forfeit the 2009 World Series (among other games).

It would thrill me no end on September 29th to have A-Roid hit into a triple play with the bases loaded in the top of the 9th with N.Y. leading by one run, and have Mariano Rivera blow the save and lose in the bottom of the 9th on errors by Roidriguez, knocking the Yuckies out of a playoff spot.

That said, I do wish the pinstriped pinheads good luck against teams other than the Phillies in interleague play in 2015 (regular season only).

I'd wish Mariano, a much classier human being than A Rod and an obvious first ballot hall of famer, a much better end to his career than that.  I want to see him dominate in his final game in what turns out to be a completely meaningless win for a non playoff contending Yankee team.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
I don't like A-Rod, and I don't like Dempster, either.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline Lefty

I'd wish Mariano, a much classier human being than A Rod and an obvious first ballot hall of famer, a much better end to his career than that.  I want to see him dominate in his final game in what turns out to be a completely meaningless win for a non playoff contending Yankee team.

Okay, that's acceptable, as long as those nameless l-u-z-e-r-s don't make the playoffs until all other teams have as many world championships as they do.

And Ryan Dumpster should have been suspended for taking 4 pitches to hit A-Fraud instead of one to plunk him where he would have been hurt.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Watching the O's/Sox game right now, I have to admit, a part of me was rooting for the O's in this series, but this year's Red Sox are something else. Unless something monumental happens, I think you can pencil them in as AL East champions.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Watching the O's/Sox game right now, I have to admit, a part of me was rooting for the O's in this series, but this year's Red Sox are something else. Unless something monumental happens, I think you can pencil them in as AL East champions.

Don't jinx it, but this Red Sox team is so easy to root for. Even if they don't win, they're the most likable bunch since the idiots of '04.  A pleasure to root for these guys, unlike the past couple of seasons. 

Also, take a look at Uehara's numbers this season as far as ERA and WHIP.  These are video game numbers.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=493157#gameType='R'&sectionType=career&statType=2&season=2013&level='ALL'

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Today's game was like a big name main event fight with the starters lighting it up, but in the end Lester got the win and Scherzer got just his second loss. I love games like those, certainly a nail biter.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Today's game was like a big name main event fight with the starters lighting it up, but in the end Lester got the win and Scherzer got just his second loss. I love games like those, certainly a nail biter.

I usually don't like these games for the simple fact Boston usually loses the pitching duels and have for years (look at Lackey's record this year compared to his numbers), but when they actually do come out on top, it is very satisfying.  Great game last night, beating Scherzer in September is awesome, and it's great to see Lester pitch like an ace on a night when Boston truly needed it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well if you don't like pitchers duels if I have something in a 20-4 beatdown.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Well if you don't like pitchers duels if I have something in a 20-4 beatdown.

That was crazy last night, 8 home runs in one game, most in our lifetimes.

Actually, from a pure baseball perspective, I do lik pitching duels, I would just like them better if Boston won more of them.

I'm a bit conflicted now.  Part of me was upset Tampa won last night, but another part of me happy because it makes it more difficult for he Yankees to make the playoffs.  Those bastards never go away.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Jim, you know it, I know it, the world knows, it the Yankees are making the playoffs.  I'm sick of them.  This shit has been going on for almost 20 years now.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Holy shit. I've been watching football, but last I checked, Boston had a 7-2 lead in the 7th & now it's 9-8 in the 10th?!? WTF????
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Holy shit. I've been watching football, but last I checked, Boston had a 7-2 lead in the 7th & now it's 9-8 in the 10th?!? WTF????

The post I wrote above yours was when the Yankees were an out away from winning with nobody on base.  Mariano then blows a save and the Sox win in the 10th.

What happened is Farrell left Peavy in too long, put in two relievers who can no longer hold leads, had a botched call by an ump with a 3rd base stolen base, Boston blew a routine double play, and Farell put on some cockamamie shift in which Soriano would normally ground into a double play but instead gets a single because nobody was at second.  Try absorbing all that, it was a six run 7th for the Yanks.

The Yankees decimate Boston's bullpen once or twice every season, and have done it three time to Boston this year. The fact Boston has won two of those games this year shows heart that other Boston teams don't have.  Holy shit I'm in Heaven.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

Jim, you know it, I know it, the world knows, it the Yankees are making the playoffs.  I'm sick of them.  This shit has been going on for almost 20 years now.

The league, with a native New Yorker as commissioner, wants that team in the playoffs; Faux and The Bronx Station, who tell the league who they want to see win want that team in the playoffs; yet no one else who is not a native New Yorker or a resident of the area wants that team in the playoffs.  Everyone who hates that team or is tired of that team should just boycott the playoffs, and if necessary, the World Series, if that team -- make that when that team -- gets in.  Just like that team does not have names on the backs of their uniforms, I do not wish to call that team by its name.  (Hint:  It begins with "C" and rhymes with "heaters.")

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well if the league wants New York in they sure aren't doing it at Boston's expense. I believe these last three wins have put the Yankees 11 games behind the Red Sox as I type this.

Offline metaldams

The league, with a native New Yorker as commissioner, wants that team in the playoffs; Faux and The Bronx Station, who tell the league who they want to see win want that team in the playoffs; yet no one else who is not a native New Yorker or a resident of the area wants that team in the playoffs.  Everyone who hates that team or is tired of that team should just boycott the playoffs, and if necessary, the World Series, if that team -- make that when that team -- gets in.  Just like that team does not have names on the backs of their uniforms, I do not wish to call that team by its name.  (Hint:  It begins with "C" and rhymes with "heaters.")

I appreciate your hatred of the Yankees, but while I agree they have been caught for cheating a lot, I also must say I root for a team that won two championships with Manny Ramirez, had David Ortiz appear once on some list, and once had Jose Canseco play for them.  You're a Phillie fan, and I think I remember Carlos Ruiz being caught too.  The point is I think the steroid stuff is a 30 team baseball problem and the Yanks have been caught more simply because of their location on the map.  But yes, it's true, no one outside of New York wants to see the Yanks make another magical comeback into the postseason, it's beyond old at this point.  I will say about A Rod, his cheating extends beyond the steroid scandal.  There was the bitch slapping of the ball out of Arroyo's hand in '04 and the "ha" incident in Toronto years back.  The man appears to lack any integrity.

My dream scenario is for Boston to clinch everything early, have Baltimore and the Yanks duke it out until the last series for that last wild card spot, and have Baltimore win it as they sweep Boston in the final series.  Of course, Boston throws out spring training line ups in these games and goes on to dominate in the post season.  That would be nice revenge for 2011.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Lefty

I appreciate your hatred of the Yankees, but while I agree they have been caught for cheating a lot, I also must say I root for a team that won two championships with Manny Ramirez, had David Ortiz appear once on some list, and once had Jose Canseco play for them.  You're a Phillie fan, and I think I remember Carlos Ruiz being caught too.  The point is I think the steroid stuff is a 30 team baseball problem and the Yanks have been caught more simply because of their location on the map.  But yes, it's true, no one outside of New York wants to see the Yanks make another magical comeback into the postseason, it's beyond old at this point.  I will say about A Rod, his cheating extends beyond the steroid scandal.  There was the bitch slapping of the ball out of Arroyo's hand in '04 and the "ha" incident in Toronto years back.  The man appears to lack any integrity.

My dream scenario is for Boston to clinch everything early, have Baltimore and the Yanks duke it out until the last series for that last wild card spot, and have Baltimore win it as they sweep Boston in the final series.  Of course, Boston throws out spring training line ups in these games and goes on to dominate in the post season.  That would be nice revenge for 2011.

1.  The only Skankee ever to serve a suspension for illegalities in the modern era (or any era probably) is Francisco Cervelli, a third-string catcher at best who is injured anyway.  Other members of the Junkies have even admitted to taking "helpers" and not been suspended.  As for Chooch, he should have obtained a subscription for his Adderall.  And Ruin Tomorrow Jr. should take Subtracterall.  :)

2.  The Phillies wrapped up everything early in 2011.  How did that work out in October?  In their two championships seasons (thanks to mostly terrible ownership for 130 years), they won the division on the next-to-last day.  Their 1993 worst-to-first crew led wire-to-wire until Toronto interfered with them.

Offline metaldams

2.  The Phillies wrapped up everything early in 2011.  How did that work out in October?  In their two championships seasons (thanks to mostly terrible ownership for 130 years), they won the division on the next-to-last day.  Their 1993 worst-to-first crew led wire-to-wire until Toronto interfered with them.

As long as Boston wins the division and does not lose in the playoffs to the Yankees, I'll consider this a good season.  A 2011 Phillie season is acceptable, though of course I'd like more.  It's easier to accept a 2011 Phillie season when you're coming off a 69 win season, one of baseball's biggest collapses the season before that, and have won two World Series in the past ten years.  Pre 2004 I'd be singing a different tune.  I'm in the camp that believes the playoffs is a crapshoot anyway.  Remember the 2006 Cardinals.

Just keep the MFY out of he playoffs and I'll be happy.  As for Boston, this has been a magical season.  Tonight's win against Tampa puts what little doubt there was left that Boston is winning the division.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Not only is Boston on the fast track to winning the division, but the Sox could end up with home field through the postseason, which could be huge. Going into the playoffs my mindset is that Detroit is the most complete team but if they have to go into Boston for 4 out of 7, anything is possible.

As with most sports, it's not always the best team that wins, just look at last year's World Series & Super Bowl champions.