Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2013 Baseball Thread...

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I think the Braves may be the only team that can challenge Oakland for postseason futility over the last several years.

I think I predicted Detroit over Boston in 7 & I'm going to stick with that, but I won't be surprised or disappointed if the Sox pull it out. And as I type, Oakland has 2 men on with 2 out, holy shit, the A's are not dead yet...
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

Nothing brings me more nostalgia than watching Seth Smith make the last out for his team.  Memories of '07.

Got a "fuck yeah" in there on live TV during the celebration!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm going to make my predictions: Boston over Detroit in 7 and Los Angeles over St. Louis in 5.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

I'm also predicting Boston in 7, but St. Louis in 6.  I know Los Angeles has arguably the best pitcher in baseball with Kershaw, but St. Louis usually wins series they have no business winning, and Adrian Gonzalez has yet to prove to me he's a winner, something he failed to do on both Boston and San Diego teams that came close.  Maybe he and the Dodgers will prove me wrong. 

Then I say Boston evens things up World Series wise with St. Louis in 5.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The worse case scenario would be a St. Louis/Detroit match-up. The Tigers seem to have an uncanny ability to completely shit the bed when they reach the World Series, and the last time those two teams met it was probably the worst Series I ever witnessed. Gone are the days of Gibson and Kaline, it's not 1968 anymore.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

The worse case scenario would be a St. Louis/Detroit match-up. The Tigers seem to have an uncanny ability to completely shit the bed when they reach the World Series, and the last time those two teams met it was probably the worst Series I ever witnessed. Gone are the days of Gibson and Kaline, it's not 1968 anymore.

I never felt more disgusted after a non Yankee World Series than '06.  Detroit should've destroyed St. Louis, a good example of St. Louis winning a series they had no business winning.  An 83 win team?  Blah!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I never felt more disgusted after a non Yankee World Series than '06.  Detroit should've destroyed St. Louis, a good example of St. Louis winning a series they had no business winning.  An 83 win team?  Blah!

I like to refer to the '06 Series as "the Series that the Detroit Tigers lost". You're right, the Tigers should have destroyed St. Louis, a team that really wasn't all that good and their 83 wins proved as much. It was not like the 1987 Minnesota Twins, an 85 win team that went tooth and nail and knocked off the Cardinals in 7.

Offline JazzBill

I have to give St. Louis credit, they always seem to be in the mix.  As far as Detroit goes, you can't judge this team by what happened in 2006. At any rate, after the lousy season of Chicago baseball, I'm finally starting to get an interest in baseball again. 
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Tough loss last night, but Detroit has amazing pitching.  They will be tough to beat.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I think I may have to boycott this year's World Series if its the Cards & Tigers again.  :-[
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline metaldams

I think I may have to boycott this year's World Series if its the Cards & Tigers again.  :-[

Nah, I'd be cheering the Tigers on if that happened.  It's been what, 29 years since Detroit won.  I can see a Red Sox vs. Cardinals series being annoying for non fans of those teams, but since I'm a Sox fan, go Boston.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

What an incredible first two games.  After tonight, I can officially say this is my favorite Red Sox team I've ever followed.  They may or may not go all the way, but this team, more than any other, is proof baseball is a 27 out game.  Kudos to Detroit too, what amazing starting pitching.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Eh, fuck the Tigers and their starting pitching...you can give them kudos after the series, lol. Both the Red Sox and the Pats coming up huge with comeback wins today, I needed that after the rough weekend I've had.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Great pitcher's duel between Verlander and Lackey. Not surprised that Justin is throwing up zeros but I'm guessing not too many were expecting Lackey to match him pitch for pitch.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well that was spectacular. I remember reading the comments on an ESPN article about Game 2 where a Tigers fan tried to spin it as Detroit stole one in Fenway and now head home tied 1-1. Well now Boston stole one off of Verlander in Detroit and the Tigers are hoping they can get the series back to Boston.

Offline metaldams

Eh, fuck the Tigers and their starting pitching...you can give them kudos after the series, lol. Both the Red Sox and the Pats coming up huge with comeback wins today, I needed that after the rough weekend I've had.

Nah, I'll give them kudos now.  I'll give them kudos now because to have three amazing starting pitching performances like that and still have Boston up 2  - 1 stresses how gutsy this Red Sox team is.

I had to work during the game, which especially blows considering for the first time in my life, I will be working normal day hours Mon - Fri starting next week. A week earlier with my new schedule and I could've caught most of the game.  Tazawa and Uehara striking out out Cabrera and Fielder first and third, one out in Detroit, game 3 ALCS, 1 - 0 lead, 8th inning, is beyond clutch.  The Lackey signing is looking better all the time, which over the past few years seemed like a 100 percent disaster.  Props to Napoli as well.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

If I permanently stop posting in the next few days, it's most likely due to heart failure because of the stress of these games.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
That was a very interesting and crucial Game 5. Now all we need to do is beat one of their top pitchers at Fenway instead of both. I knew that Sanchez wasn't going to blank the Sox again and something tells me Scherzer won't either.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Well Lefty called it a while back, whether it's the Red Sox or Tigers both teams are very familiar with the Cardinals as far as World Series' go. I have to say that even if Detroit does pull it off I'll be rooting against St. Louis (although I might not watch).

Offline JazzBill

I'm not a big Cardinal fan but I do like the way the organization is run. They are in the running year after year and do it on HALF the team salary of the New York Yankees. That's pretty impressive to me. 
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline metaldams

Morales has no business being on the playoff roster

Some things are worth repeating.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Victorino has all of the business in the world being there!

Offline metaldams

Victorino has all of the business in the world being there!

Damn right.  Just like Damon in '04, struggling mightily and breaking out with a huge grand slam.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

My Mom texts me to tell me she's with a mutual friend of a friend now who claims he umped in games Craig Breslow played in Trumbull. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Perhaps now the worst baseball commentating duo in the world will STFU about Detroit's pitching after this game. Thank goodness McCarver is retiring, wish Buck would too.