Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

"Catch the Connection" - Stooges Style

Offline Squirrelbait

Hi all,

For the past several years I have enjoyed watching 'Stooge-A-Palooza' on Me-TV. It has now been taken off the air, and although I have all 190 shorts on the DVD box sets, I still miss seeing the boys on TV.

For anyone who has seen the show, you are probably familiar with the 'Catch The Connection' game, in which Rich Koz run 5 shorts and has the viewer try and figure out the common element between each one. It can pretty much be anything (line of dialogue, the same co-star, joke etc.)

While watching some shorts last night, I thought up my own version of Catch The Connection, and was curious to see if anyone can find the element in THESE shorts:

Hoi Polloi
Brideless Groom
Cactus Makes Perfect
Hokus Pokus
I'll Never Heil Again

Anyone who is lucky enough to guess the correct answer will win..........well, uh, bragging rights.

What do you think?

[Note:  I decided this deserves it's own thread. - Dunrobin]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:36:38 AM by Dunrobin »
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

ThumpTheShoes

While watching some shorts last night, I thought up my own version of Catch The Connection, and was curious to see if anyone can find the element in THESE shorts:

Hoi Polloi
Brideless Groom
Cactus Makes Perfect
Hokus Pokus
I'll Never Heil Again

Anyone who is lucky enough to guess the correct answer will win..........well, uh, bragging rights.

Shaving. Next?
 :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:37:10 AM by Dunrobin »

Offline Squirrelbait

Shaving. Next?

NAILED it!

Hey Mister, did you have a pink tie on? No? Well here's your lip....Nyuk Nyuk!

Now try:

How High Is Up?
Tassels In The Air
Listen, Judge
Violent Is The Word For Curly
3 Dumb Clucks
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:38:44 AM by Dunrobin »
If there's no other place around the place, I reckon this must be the place, I reckon.

Offline Rich Finegan

"Men at Work" signs are used.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:37:30 AM by Dunrobin »

Offline Squirrelbait

"Men at Work" signs are used.

Right On!

I'll give one more for extra credit:

All The World's A Stooge
Mummy's Dummies
Three Little Pirates
Rusty Romeos
The Three Trouble Doers

Anyone have any other ideas for a 'Catch The Connection'?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:37:54 AM by Dunrobin »

ThumpTheShoes

Right On!

I'll give one more for extra credit:

All The World's A Stooge
Mummy's Dummies
Three Little Pirates
Rusty Romeos
The Three Trouble Doers

Comedy glasses, aka "bicycle-focals".

Just for fun, here's an easy but sneaky one:

What's the Matador?
The Yoke's on Me
I'm a Monkey's Uncle
A Ducking They Did Go
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 10:38:18 AM by Dunrobin »

Offline Squirrelbait

Just for fun, here's an easy but sneaky one:

What's the Matador?
The Yoke's on Me
I'm a Monkey's Uncle
A Ducking They Did Go

Best guess: Animals?

Also, in 'The Yoke's On Me', 'A Ducking They Did Go', and 'I'm A Monkey's Uncle', you can catch some salty language if you listen closely (not aware of anything like this in 'What's The Matador' though...) :D

ThumpTheShoes

Animals works, but language is the answer! Each short has a bit of bad language that slipped past the censors.

What's the Matador?- The third time Curly gets slapped on the shoulder by Jose, he lets out a kinda slurred, didn't-catch-himself-in-time "Goddammit!". I'd guess that was Curly's swear word of choice, as he comes so close to saying that in several other films. I think "Samoa" is one-- listen to Curly when he's  being snapped at by the "navigator".
The Yoke's on Me -  "Bastard!"
I'm a Monkey's Uncle - A smack in the eye with a leaf towel gets a "Shit!" from Larry
A Ducking They Did Go - Bud Jamison's famous "Shit!"

Offline Squirrelbait

Animals works, but language is the answer! Each short has a bit of bad language that slipped past the censors.

What's the Matador?- The third time Curly gets slapped on the shoulder by Jose, he lets out a kinda slurred, didn't-catch-himself-in-time "Goddammit!". I'd guess that was Curly's swear word of choice, as he comes so close to saying that in several other films. I think "Samoa" is one-- listen to Curly when he's  being snapped at by the "navigator".
I'm a Monkey's Uncle - A smack in the eye with a leaf towel gets a "Shit!" from Larry

Awesome! I'll have to go back and listen very closely to "What's The Matador."

And NOW...for my latest Stooge stumper...

Goofs And Saddles
Idle Roomers
Love At First Bite
Loco Boy Makes Good
Higher Than A Kite

This one might be a little tricky - WATCH CAREFULLY!  :o

ThumpTheShoes

Goofs And Saddles
Idle Roomers
Love At First Bite
Loco Boy Makes Good
Higher Than A Kite

Dogs! Woof! Plus, in each short, the Boys "fall into" a scene together.

Here's another easy one, but I got a chuckle just thinkin' about 'em!:

Spooks!
Hold That Lion!
Rusty Romeos
Corny Casanovas
Self-Made Maids

Offline ILMM

Just saw Samoa on Antenna tv and didn't hear him say that.
"That must be Nick Barker.... he's disguised as a black banana."-Shemp

ThumpTheShoes

Just saw Samoa on Antenna tv and didn't hear him say that.

Yeah, I dunno.. It kinda sounds like he's gonna say it, like "god---" and then stops abruptly. Like when someone bangs a knee or a toe and it catches them off guard and they almost say it, but don't.

Offline Squirrelbait

Here's another easy one, but I got a chuckle just thinkin' about 'em!:

Spooks!
Hold That Lion!
Rusty Romeos
Corny Casanovas
Self-Made Maids

The best answer I could come up with is Pictures. The first 4 have close-ups of photographs, and Self-Made Maids has the portrait with Larry and Shemp.

This one kinda stumped me a bit. Am I missing something else? Also thought of hammers.....

(Incidentally, my favorite photobomb is in Rusty Romeos when we see Joe's picture on the table, and then a little while later, Shemp miraculously appears - Great job editors!!)

ThumpTheShoes

The best answer I could come up with is Pictures. The first 4 have close-ups of photographs, and Self-Made Maids has the portrait with Larry and Shemp.

This one kinda stumped me a bit. Am I missing something else? Also thought of hammers.....

(Incidentally, my favorite photobomb is in Rusty Romeos when we see Joe's picture on the table, and then a little while later, Shemp miraculously appears - Great job editors!!)

Each of the shorts has someone yelling, "I'm losing my mind!" None better than Dudley Dickerson in Hold that Lion! His delivery of that line was the best!

I got one more that's a tough one so you'll need a clue:

Matriphony
Pardon My Backfire
Punch Drunks
Goof on Roof
Sing Song Six Pants

Each of these shorts has at least one instance of off-camera direction that turns up in the soundtrack. Slap on some headphones and see if you can find them.

Offline Squirrelbait

Each of the shorts has someone yelling, "I'm losing my mind!" None better than Dudley Dickerson in Hold that Lion! His delivery of that line was the best!

I got one more that's a tough one so you'll need a clue:

Matriphony
Pardon My Backfire
Punch Drunks
Goof on Roof
Sing Song Six Pants

Each of these shorts has at least one instance of off-camera direction that turns up in the soundtrack. Slap on some headphones and see if you can find them.

Sing A Song Of Six Pants - Cut! (when Moe is making pancakes)
Goof On The Roof - Go ahead (just before Shemp slips on the soap)
Punch Drunks - Sounds like 'Keep going - All the way' (When Porcupine is running down the street)
Pardon My Backfire - That's fine (as the crooks are pushing their car into the garage)
Matri-Phony - Had to listen closely for this one, but it sounds like 'Take hold!' (When the Stooges are hanging from the guard's spears)

Also, in 'Back From The Front' notice the shadow somebody's hand waving for the two German sailors to come on down (Just after the Stooges get onto their ship)

I just realized that I've been running a bit behind, and haven't posted a new Stooge brain-teaser for some time. So today, I will give a rare bargain: Two for the price of one!

Even As IOU
Blunder Boys
Three Little Beers
Hoofs And Goofs
Three Loan Wolves

AND, an all-Curly connection:

Nutty But Nice
Men In Black
Three Pests In A Mess
Healthy, Wealthy And Dumb
The Sitter-Downers

BONUS: What is the longest running gag in the Stooge universe? It appears in their first film, 'Soup To Nuts' and their very last, 'Kook's Tour.'

[3stooges]

I'd seriously love for us to use all 190 shorts (and possibly other stuff) in some sort of 'Catch The Connection', no matter how obscure the aforementioned connections may be!

ThumpTheShoes

Even As IOU
Blunder Boys
Three Little Beers
Hoofs And Goofs
Three Loan Wolves

AND, an all-Curly connection:

Nutty But Nice
Men In Black
Three Pests In A Mess
Healthy, Wealthy And Dumb
The Sitter-Downers

BONUS: What is the longest running gag in the Stooge universe? It appears in their first film, 'Soup To Nuts' and their very last, 'Kook's Tour.'

Well.. here's what I came up with:

alcohol references
wacky names/signs

inventions: fly catcher/soup/slogan/drinks/step-shelves, etc

Bonus:
Eye poke! (although I rewatched Kook's, I didn't screen Soup, so I could be way off base). I think both have a joke about snoring and there's certainly a Rube Goldberg-type contraption in both films.

Offline Squirrelbait

Well.. here's what I came up with:

alcohol references
wacky names/signs

inventions: fly catcher/soup/slogan/drinks/step-shelves, etc

Bonus:
Eye poke! (although I rewatched Kook's, I didn't screen Soup, so I could be way off base). I think both have a joke about snoring and there's certainly a Rube Goldberg-type contraption in both films.

#1 - Both good answers, but pay close attention to some of the more physical scenes in the shorts (Shemp on the mechanical horse, the beer barrels chasing them down the street) and near the very end of 'Hoofs And Goofs' when Moe is in drag as their sister....Each of the shorts have bad-looking stuntsmen/doubles in place of the Stooges.

#2 - This one could get wet and wild.....Stooges splash someone with a bucket (or buckets) of water!

Bonus Question: Again, good guess, but I was thinking of 'The arrow points half way - I don't know if it's half empty or half full'!

(Just finished watching 'Soup To Nuts,' but I couldn't spot an eye poke)

Bonus points for mentioning a Rube Goldberg invention, though!

Up for another try?

Back To The Woods
The Ghost Talks
So Long, Mr. Chumps
Three Hams On Rye
Fiddlers Three

ThumpTheShoes

Back To The Woods
The Ghost Talks
So Long, Mr. Chumps
Three Hams On Rye
Fiddlers Three

NBC chimes!

And now, a special edition of Catch the Connection-- it's called Spot the Jules!
Jules White is featured in each of the following shorts below in some form or other. Now, do us all proud and.. Spot the Jules!

Dizzy Doctors
Husbands Beware
Pies and Guys
Rip, Sew and Stitch
Heavenly Daze

Offline Rich Finegan

Additional Jules White trivia:

What was his unique contribution to the shorts NUTTY BUT NICE and FROM NURSE TO WORSE?

And what was his unique appearance in SAPPY BULLFIGHTERS?

ThumpTheShoes

What was his unique contribution to the shorts NUTTY BUT NICE and FROM NURSE TO WORSE?

The song, Cowboy from the Western Plains. Geez, I wish we could hear the whole record!

And, he's the guy paid to let the real bull out: "Sí, señor. ¡Gracias!"

And to further save a buck, it was likely his hand that crossed out the Stooges' name on the theatre playbill.

Offline Squirrelbait

The song, Cowboy from the Western Plains. Geez, I wish we could hear the whole record!

And, he's the guy paid to let the real bull out: "Sí, señor. ¡Gracias!"

And to further save a buck, it was likely his hand that crossed out the Stooges' name on the theatre playbill.

Wow - I didn't know either of those! I thought he just mainly did the bird chirping sounds....and some voice overs

Heavenly Daze - train announcer
Dizzy Doctors - his voice is dubbed in on 'Those are the birds that wrecked my car! Get 'em boys!
Rip, Sew And Stitch - radio announcer

Not sure of 'Pies And Guys' or 'Husbands Beware' though.

Geez, maybe I'm not such a Stooge scholar after all.........

ThumpTheShoes

Wow - I didn't know either of those! I thought he just mainly did the bird chirping sounds....and some voice overs

Heavenly Daze - train announcer
Dizzy Doctors - his voice is dubbed in on 'Those are the birds that wrecked my car! Get 'em boys!
Rip, Sew And Stitch - radio announcer

Not sure of 'Pies And Guys' or 'Husbands Beware' though.

Heavenly Daze - The train announcer is.. Moe! Imitating, I think, Mel Blanc from the Jack Benny Show (the Cuc---a-monga bit is the throwaway bit). Jules White provided the HUGE sneeze from Shemp. HUH-CHOOOOO!

Rip Sew and Stitch - Yup, radio announcer annnd.. when Phil Arnold leaves the second time, we don't see him we just hear Jules' "Thanks! So long!" off camera.

Husbands Beware - At the end when Shemp is married, a quick pan from Larry to Moe and... there's Jules, filling in for Emil. And who is the stand-in for Dee Green? I don't know, but that ain't her, either!

Pies and Guys - This one, actually upon listening again, I'm not sure. It may not be a real Spot the Jules moment. But when Moe goes to find something to cover the silverware it sounds like Jules imitating Joe with "What, is it rainin' or sump'm?" Sounds more like Jules' parrot voice than Besser.

Offline Rich Finegan

The song, Cowboy from the Western Plains. Geez, I wish we could hear the whole record!...

Yes, he wrote the song "I'm a Cowboy from the Western Plains". I have never found any documentation on who the singer was.

In SAPPY BULLFIGHTERS Jules White's name is printed on the poster shown as the film opens, but "translated" to Spanish: "Julio Blanco".

Offline Squirrelbait

Heavenly Daze - The train announcer is.. Moe! Imitating, I think, Mel Blanc from the Jack Benny Show (the Cuc---a-monga bit is the throwaway bit).

Attention Please! Attention! The train for Anaheim, Azusa, and Cuc... amunga will be delayed indefinitely. Definitely is two miles this side of cuc... amunga.

Offline Squirrelbait

Meanwhile, here's one more connection for ya:

Calling All Curs
A Missed Fortune
Ants In The Pantry
Stone Age Romeos
Sappy Bullfighters