Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Best "Stooge" footage few know about

Offline metaldams

I'm in the mood to discuss The Three Stooges, and I have a topic.  The filmography section is pretty in depth, ranging from the great Stooge classics to cameos of Joe Besser brushing his teeth as an extra.  OK, the latter is not literal, but the point is there's a lot of footage of the boys listed simply because they are present yet not doing much of value.

My question to you all is if you know of any of this obscure footage that is not released or generally known by many people, yet is comic gold?  Did Shemp have a great supporting role in some major studio film none of us know about?  Is there some priceless footage of Joe Derita from early television showing he was really funny?  Here's your chance to let us know what we've been missing.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline fearlessfrizzletop

Joe Besser and Eddie Cantor as a couple of gossipy old biddies in a laundromat on the Eddie Cantor Theatre is pretty darn funny.

Also, any of the "live" De Rita appearances on Ed Sullivan and Steve Allen. Those skits demonstrate that De Rita is actually really funny and fit in well with Moe & Larry, particularly "The Stand-In Sketch".

Chris

Offline metaldams

Joe Besser and Eddie Cantor as a couple of gossipy old biddies in a laundromat on the Eddie Cantor Theatre is pretty darn funny.

Also, any of the "live" De Rita appearances on Ed Sullivan and Steve Allen. Those skits demonstrate that De Rita is actually really funny and fit in well with Moe & Larry, particularly "The Stand-In Sketch".

Chris

It's been years since I've seen TV Stooge footage with Derita, but my memory does say he was by far at his best in that environment.  I'll have to go on you tube and search these things out....or look through VHS tapes.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Senorita Rita

I'm sure some of the more knowledgeable knuckleheads here have seen this, but I only discovered it a few months ago on YouTube. Rare color home movie footage from the late 30's:
...to say the least, if not less...

I've heard a few old timers tell me that DeRita was great on stage with a live audience, no so much on film.  The fact that DeRita is actually hilarious on those live Steve Allen appearances may bear this out.  If you look at DeRita's costume he wore in the late '30's and early '40's, you may notice that Pinky Lee used that exact same costume.
"Excuse me fellows, I have a terrible cramp!" - Schmool Horwitz, 1911