Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Questions About C3/Columbia Trademarks and Etc.

Offline sandmountainslim

Let me get this straight.   C3 as the heirs to the Three Stooges owns the images of the TS and hands out the licenses on Stooge merchandise like clothing and toys etc and Columbia/Sony owns the rights to the original shorts and features filmed for Columbia. 

Does Sony have to pay C3 to use the Stooges images on their DVD releases??
Does C3 have to approve a DVD release by Sony or Fox or any other company?
C3 was the company founded by Moe, Larry and Curly-Joe so does it own the images of Shemp or Curly?   If so why since neither of them are represented by the company?

Sorry if these are oddball nitpicky questions :)   I am just trying to learn all I can about the Stooges. 

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
C3 as the heirs to the Three Stooges owns the images of the TS and hands out the licenses on Stooge merchandise like clothing and toys etc and Columbia/Sony owns the rights to the original shorts and features filmed for Columbia. 

Yes.

Does Sony have to pay C3 to use the Stooges images on their DVD releases??

No.  As long as the artwork/packaging images are derived from the studio's proprietary/copyright-protected assets.

Related exception is the 1960s Columbia features produced after settlement was reached in the 1960 STOP! LOOK! AND LAUGH! lawsuit.  The Stooges' company receives a revenue % on those films.

Does C3 have to approve a DVD release by Sony or Fox or any other company?

No.  Unless a distributor is marketing a film owned by C3, and the only extant one is KOOK'S TOUR (1970).

C3 was the company founded by Moe, Larry and Curly-Joe so does it own the images of Shemp or Curly?   If so why since neither of them are represented by the company?

C3 owns the rights to Curly, owing to an early 1960s agreement reached between the company and Jerry's heirs.

Early 1960s litigation between Shemp's family and C3 was settled privately.  Shemp's trademark rights were not registered to C3.

Offline healyhouston

Then how does C3 sell some Shemp products like the "Legalize Shemp"??

Why doesnt shempcompany.com release more solo Shemp products?  They should be able to find photos from pre 1946

Offline healyhouston

Also what about Ted Healy?  C3 is making money from Ted Health and his stooges products

Offline sandmountainslim

Why doesnt shempcompany.com release more solo Shemp products?  They should be able to find photos from pre 1946

Good question.   I would like to see Shempcompany either become more active or form a partnership with C3.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Also what about Ted Healy?

C3 does not own a trademark on either.  You need to ask C3.

Offline sandmountainslim

How is C3 making money off Ted?   I don't recall seeing any merchandise for sale in their store with his pic on it.

Offline FineBari3

Good question.   I would like to see Shempcompany either become more active or form a partnership with C3.

Shempcompany is run by Shemp's granddaughters, Jill and Sandie.  If a legal settlement was reached with C3 as stated in a previous post in the thread, I don't think they would join a partnership with them. 
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson