Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

No films in 1931 or 1932?

It's always struck me as a bit odd that the Stooges appeared in one film in 1930 and then a whole bunch starting in 1933, but none in between. Does anyone know if there was any particular reason for this?
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
It's always struck me as a bit odd that the Stooges appeared in one film in 1930 and then a whole bunch starting in 1933, but none in between. Does anyone know if there was any particular reason for this?

Because they broke up with Healy after SOUP TO NUTS (1930), and there were no film offers.
 -  Healy hired replacement stooges and continued to headline the bigger revue shows, and star in Broadway musicals (THE GANG'S ALL HERE and CRAZY QUILT)
 -  Moe, Larry & Shemp toured with little fanfare for two years as "Howard, Fine & Howard: 3 Lost Souls," with hired straightman Jack Walsh

The "originals" rejoined Healy in August 1932 for the Schubert's Broadway revue PASSING SHOW OF 1932 (which also featured Joe Besser's act).
 -  Healy quit the show before it opened its preview tour in Detroit; Moe and Larry stayed with him.  They hired Jerry, continued touring and working their own stage act, and received an MGM offer in early 1933.
-   Shemp (and Besser) stayed with the Schuberts; PASSING received bad reviews and closed in Cleveland.  He returned to New York and soon signed on with Vitaphone Studios in Brooklyn.

That would make sense.
"Give me a smart idiot over a stupid genius any day." -- Samuel Goldwyn

The people who have your best interests at heart...
...are generally not the ones telling you whatever you want to hear.

Offline archiezappa

Because they broke up with Healy after SOUP TO NUTS (1930), and there were no film offers.
 -  Healy hired replacement stooges and continued to headline the bigger revue shows, and star in Broadway musicals (THE GANG'S ALL HERE and CRAZY QUILT)
 -  Moe, Larry & Shemp toured with little fanfare for two years as "Howard, Fine & Howard: 3 Lost Souls," with hired straightman Jack Walsh

The "originals" rejoined Healy in August 1932 for the Schubert's Broadway revue PASSING SHOW OF 1932 (which also featured Joe Besser's act).
 -  Healy quit the show before it opened its preview tour in Detroit; Moe and Larry stayed with him.  They hired Jerry, continued touring and working their own stage act, and received an MGM offer in early 1933.
-   Shemp (and Besser) stayed with the Schuberts; PASSING received bad reviews and closed in Cleveland.  He returned to New York and soon signed on with Vitaphone Studios in Brooklyn.

I never thought about this.  Thanks for the great information, BeAStooge!  Very interesting.