Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Remembering Larry

Offline hiramhorwitz

Has it really been 38 years since Larry's departure?  Seems like just yesterday, in more ways than one.  Nothing was more fun than receiving a letter from Larry, speaking with Larry on the telephone, or spending an afternoon with him.  A great talent, a kindly gentleman, and a true renaissance man -- the one and only Larry Fine.  What I wouldn't give to travel back in time and do it all again!   

Offline metaldams

Has it really been 38 years since Larry's departure?  Seems like just yesterday, in more ways than one.  Nothing was more fun than receiving a letter from Larry, speaking with Larry on the telephone, or spending an afternoon with him.  A great talent, a kindly gentleman, and a true renaissance man -- the one and only Larry Fine.  What I wouldn't give to travel back in time and do it all again!   

I would kill to meet Larry as a kid, awesome picture.  Don't leave us hanging, what did you guys talk about?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Curly4444

Has it really been 38 years since Larry's departure?  Seems like just yesterday, in more ways than one.
Not to me, i was 5 then. Would have loved to meet him. Hell, it would have been cool to meet any of them.

Offline hiramhorwitz

I would kill to meet Larry as a kid, awesome picture.  Don't leave us hanging, what did you guys talk about?
We covered lots of topics -- sports, arts, current affairs, geography, hobbies, and Larry's health.  Of course, we also discussed Larry's life as a Stooge, the other members of the Stooges, the supporting players, directors, and writers.  And we talked about specific Stooges shorts and accidents that occurred during filming.  Realize this was at a time when the only Stooge-related book was "Stroke of Luck" -- thus, very little of what is now well documented was available to the common fan.  Larry also talked about the possibility of making a comeback and his desire to take a trip to Philadelphia to visit his brother and sister, and to appear on the Mike Douglas Show (taped in Philly), as Moe had done.  Larry was a great conversationalist, so all topics were open ground.  The best part is that despite Larry's fame and success, he was very down to earth and was just as interested in hearing about his fan's lives as his fans were interested in hearing about his.  Definitely a great guy and one of a kind!

Offline metaldams

We covered lots of topics -- sports, arts, current affairs, geography, hobbies, and Larry's health.  Of course, we also discussed Larry's life as a Stooge, the other members of the Stooges, the supporting players, directors, and writers.  And we talked about specific Stooges shorts and accidents that occurred during filming.  Realize this was at a time when the only Stooge-related book was "Stroke of Luck" -- thus, very little of what is now well documented was available to the common fan.  Larry also talked about the possibility of making a comeback and his desire to take a trip to Philadelphia to visit his brother and sister, and to appear on the Mike Douglas Show (taped in Philly), as Moe had done.  Larry was a great conversationalist, so all topics were open ground.  The best part is that despite Larry's fame and success, he was very down to earth and was just as interested in hearing about his fan's lives as his fans were interested in hearing about his.  Definitely a great guy and one of a kind!

That's wonderful, thanks for sharing.  It's nice to hear he was such a diverse guy in conversation and can see the world outside of himself.  Some people, when they get to Larry's level of fame, can't.  Heck, some everyday people can't.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline ILMM

How did you first get the opportunity to meet Larry?
"That must be Nick Barker.... he's disguised as a black banana."-Shemp

Offline hiramhorwitz

How did you first get the opportunity to meet Larry?
The March 14, 1973 edition of the Philadelphia Bulletin newspaper featured an interview with Larry's brother, which identified that Larry resided in the Motion Picture Retirement Home in Los Angeles.  Based on this information, I contacted the Los Angeles telephone directory assistance, and the second time I called, they provided the address.  The first time I called, they said they didn't give out addresses, so I called again asking for the telephone number, and this time they asked me if I was referring to the Motion Picture Home located at 23388 Mulholland Drive in Woodland Hills. 

Subsequently, I wrote Larry a letter and within days received a very nice response from him, encouraging me to write back when able.  Surprisingly, Larry was responding to hundreds of fan letters per week at the time, and seemed happy to maintain this high level of correspondence. 

Shortly thereafter, my dad had a business trip to Los Angeles, so I came up with a plan for him to visit Larry, and being a great dad, he agreed to visit.  My dad's visit with Larry was very successful -- they both had a good time, and my dad was able to get me an audio recording of Larry answering all my Stooge-related questions. 

The net result of my dad's visit was that it made me realize I needed to figure out a way to see Larry, too.  So I saved up my money and a year later had sufficient funds to travel from NJ to CA to visit Larry.  However, the only mode of transportation I could afford was Continental Trailways Silver Eagle deal -- 30 days of bus transportation anywhere in the country for $149 -- so travel by bus it was.  As you can imagine, this trip became my gold medal standard of trips!         

Offline Curly4444

So I saved up my money and a year later had sufficient funds to travel from NJ to CA to visit Larry.  However, the only mode of transportation I could afford was Continental Trailways Silver Eagle deal -- 30 days of bus transportation anywhere in the country for $149 -- so travel by bus it was.  As you can imagine, this trip became my gold medal standard of trips!         

Then What Happen??

Offline hiramhorwitz

Then What Happen??
Spent the better part of a day with Larry, discussing the topics summarized above in my earlier post.  Details of the visit are documented in BearManor's book entitled Stooges Among Us (see the "Searching Out the Stooges" chapter) and the wonderful Steve Cox book entitled One Fine Stooge.  A once-in-a-lifetime experience that sticks with me each and every day!

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Details of the visit are documented in BearManor's book entitled Stooges Among Us (see the "Searching Out the Stooges" chapter) and the wonderful Steve Cox book entitled One Fine Stooge. 

Quick follow-up on Scott's behalf...

ThreeStooges.net Bibliography

Offline Curly4444

Spent the better part of a day with Larry, discussing the topics summarized above in my earlier post.  Details of the visit are documented in BearManor's book entitled Stooges Among Us (see the "Searching Out the Stooges" chapter) and the wonderful Steve Cox book entitled One Fine Stooge.  A once-in-a-lifetime experience that sticks with me each and every day!

Ok, thanks. I have alot of stooges books, but dont have those. Will have to pick them up someday.