Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Three Stooges 60's Feature Films

Offline archiezappa

I wonder if Sony will ever release a DVD set of the 60's features (Hercules/Orbit/Daze/Outlaws).

For those of you who own the already released DVD versions of these films: What is the quality?  Are they in the proper aspect ratio?  Do these even need to be restored/remastered?  Should I go ahead and buy them now?  Should I wait for a newer and, perhaps, better release?

Offline Jake Howard

Sony/Columbia released a Three Stooges Trilogy back in 2008-
Featuring Hercules Orbit and Outlaws remastered in HD.
Hercules & Orbit are in widescreen.
(Side Note- Sony makes a mistake and credits Outlaws as Moe Howard  Larry Fine
Shemp Howard and Curly Howard) [pie]

Sony/Columbia also released Daze in 2003 in widescreen and
remastered in HD

Fox released Snow White & the Stooges in 2005
which includes both wide/full screen versions

Offline HELLOLARRY

Jake,

Correct me if I'm wrong - 'cause I may very well be - wasn't that trilogy DVD exclusive to Wal-Mart stores? Do you know if that was the three separate releases repckaged or were they double sided discs.  I have all the separate releases, I'm just curious.

Thanks....

Offline falsealarms

The Triology release (no longer available) was just the three discs (ORBIT, HERCULES, OUTLAWS) packaged together on one spindle... which, by the way, is not a recommended way of packaging DVDs. It was a laughable release with several glaring errors on the packaging, like saying Shemp and Curly were in OUTLAWS.

You're better off getting the individual releases of ORBIT, HERCULES, OUTLAWS, and DAZE, which are currently 6-8 bucks new via Amazon third parties. Since these films are not in the new collection, who knows what Sony's plans for them are, but it may not be a bad idea to snatch them up now in case they go OOP. I don't have any big problems with the video quality of them... they look pretty good, especially upconverted via a Blu-Ray player.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
wasn't that trilogy DVD exclusive to Wal-Mart stores? Do you know if that was the three separate releases repckaged

Repackagings.  Sony released several "trilogy" sets around that time... in addition to the 3 aforementioned features, some of the short subject theme discs were similarly repackaged for bargain-priced clearance. 

All "trilogies" were 3 prior discs from slow-moving / unsold stocks, returned to Sony and repackaged in these bargain sets.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I wonder if Sony will ever release a DVD set of the 60's features (Hercules/Orbit/Daze/Outlaws).

For those of you who own the already released DVD versions of these films: What is the quality?  Are they in the proper aspect ratio?  Do these even need to be restored/remastered?  Should I go ahead and buy them now?  Should I wait for a newer and, perhaps, better release?
I believe you have asked this countless times in other Stooges DVD threads and have received countless answers.

Buy the current releases because a box set of the films is slim-to-none with Sony throwing The Three Stooges in Obit on the rarities set in the big box coming out in June.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline falsealarms

I believe you have asked this countless times in other Stooges DVD threads and have received countless answers.

Buy the current releases because a box set of the films is slim-to-none with Sony throwing The Three Stooges in Obit on the rarities set in the big box coming out in June.

You mean HAVE ROCKET will be on the upcoming set, not IN ORBIT. Easy to confuse the two.

Offline fearlessfrizzletop

Personally I think "The Three Stooges in OBIT" would be an awfully depressing film...  ;)

Offline metaldams

Personally I think "The Three Stooges in OBIT" would be an awfully depressing film...  ;)

Pick out two......
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

Yeah.  Perhaps I've asked this question too many times.  I apologize for that.  I won't do that again.  I guess I'll buy the current releases of these films and shut up.

I guess I was just hoping that Sony would...I don't really know what I was hoping for.  I guess another box. 

It's like beating a dead horse, I guess.  Again, I'm sorry for clogging up this board with this same old question.

Offline archiezappa

I finally caved.  Today, I bought The Three Stooges Meet Hercules on DVD.  Yes, I'll also be buying the rest in that series: Three Stooges In Orbit, Around The World In A Daze, The Outlaws Is Coming, and Stop Look & Laugh. 

Offline sandmountainslim

My daughter and I are watching Hercules now.   I have ordered all of the Columbia films and the Snow White except for Stop Look and Laugh.  I haven't decided if that one is worth owning.   Any advice?

ThumpTheShoes

Stop, Look and Laugh is totally unnecessary. The Stooge bits are edited and have orchestral music blaring all over the place. Instead of accentuating the onscreen action, the music kinda drowns out some parts.

Offline JazzBill

Stop Look and Laugh.  I haven't decided if that one is worth owning.   Any advice?

Only if you're looking for something to throw darts at.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline Paul Allen

I have ordered all of the Columbia films and the Snow White except for Stop Look and Laugh.  I haven't decided if that one is worth owning. Any advice?
To be honest, I decided a few years ago that Stop, Look & Laugh and Snow White
were not worth owning.

Read >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_White_and_the_Three_Stooges#Production
and
Read >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop,_Look_and_Laugh#Production

Personally, I feel that my collection is much better off without them.

Offline sandmountainslim

To be honest, I decided a few years ago that Stop, Look & Laugh and Snow White both
were not worth owning.
Read >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snow_White_and_the_Three_Stooges#Production
and
Read >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop,_Look_and_Laugh#Production

Snow White is one I dread watching now that I own it BUT it was essential to complete my "Fox Three Stooges Golden Collection"

Soup To Nuts
Snow White Meets The Three Stooges
The Three Stooges (The Movie)          >:D

ThumpTheShoes

Snow White and the Three Stooges.. an incomplete discussion.

It is my opinion that there is an inherent sadness to the Snow White picture that strives to make it all the more
endearing to me though, no less, insufferable. It truly is a picture I can't forget for better or for worse. It comes off as over-long and far too dramatic as a film, and I feel like the soundrack album is better as it encapsulates the story, abbreviates it and makes it seem like a better film that it ultimately became. Certainly, it should never have been billed as a Stooges picture, although that may have been all it had going for it by the time production was done. While it became too dramatic and far too much of a downer, such is a common fate for quite a bit of "family" fare. But that's what makes it memorable. You don't come away from that film remembering the Stooges' predilection for pugilistic punishment (as in their Columbia Shorts iteration), you remember it because the Stooges knelt and mourned Snow White's death.

Think of other pictures/stories like Charlotte's Web, or even Snoopy Come Home, both of which force us to face loss
and the emotional impact of never seeing someone that you care about ever again. Charlotte died and we knew it was
going to happen. But we watched anyway, and tried to enjoy the ride for as long as we could stand it. Until the tears came. Snoopy left home and left Charlie Brown utterly empty inside-- just as emotionally devastated as
us (Or me! hell I cried like a baby when I saw those kids pacing in circles while the song begged "Come home,
Snoopy"!) who were attached to those characters and who, at a predictably young viewing age, had never even
considered the impact such a loss would bring. At least not until those stories planted that little nugget in our developing, immature and overactive imaginations. What we failed to realise is that those films become an allegory for death (ultimate loss) and, in the case of Snow White and the Three Stooges, pluck our emotional strings as if to say, "This picture may not be the best telling of the story, but we sure as hell want you to remember it as being the one that hurt the most!"

These films and stories masqueraded as entertainment, only serving to introduce us to one facet of life and living that we never anticipated. Loss. And how you just have to deal with it.

Being a familiar tale, we know what will happen to Snow White, the effect it will have on the characters but, are
we prepared to see our Stooges wracked with real emotion? It is such a downer you can't help not forgetting the
film. Even the signature song "A Place Called Happiness" which, ultimately, should have been uplifting and
inspiring at its placement within the picture, seems more to accentuate the briefness of life and the losses
incurred.

Some do it better than others, as in the case of Spielberg's E.T.-- I don't recall a dry eye in the house when I
saw this during its original theatrical run. Even Garfield, yes Garfield! The cartoon sent up so many times for its
banal nature (Read: Kelly Bundy and higher forms of literature) attempted to tell a memorable (by being thoroughly
depressing) tale of Christmas in a prime time special years ago. Charlie Brown's Christmas? Somber, melancholy,
introspective and manic/depressive (he didn't have those worry lines around his eyes and that crinkly, frowning, drawn-down mouth for nothing, you know!).

Snow White and the Three Stooges.. memorable? Yes. For all the wrong reasons.

Offline Paul Allen

Thanks for the post, ThumpTheShoes.

Sadly we'll always have the four "Fake Shemp" shorts to remind us of Shemp Howard's death... that's the way I see it anyway.

Can you imagine how Moe Howard must've felt having to deliver the lines -
"Shemp, get up!" - Rumpus in the Harem :(
or
"I wonder what became of that Shemp?!" - Commotion on the Ocean [cry]

>>

Offline sandmountainslim

Thanks for the post, ThumpTheShoes.

Sadly we'll always have the four "Fake Shemp" shorts to remind us of Shemp Howard's death... that's the way I see it anyway.

Can you imagine how Moe Howard must've felt having to deliver the lines -
"Shemp, get up!" - Rumpus in the Harem :(
or
"I wonder what became of that Shemp?!" - Commotion on the Ocean [cry]

>>

That had to be horrible.  It depresses me just to watch the fake Shemp shorts.   You know it had to be rough on Moe.