Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE: alternative title suggestions

Offline Shemp Shady

A question for all you Stooge fans—especially metaldams, shemps#1, and any other old Stooge-board vets who will be familiar with this kind of question.

We’ve had various discussions (at other sites) about the meanings of Stooge short titles and about better alternative titles for certain shorts, especially those whose meanings don’t seem to make much sense. One such short, AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE, is going to be featured this November at a Stooges film fest (whose theme is lost/found Stooges filming locations [e.g., the infamous ACHE stairs]). Since I was/am on a committee that selected shorts for this year’s festival, I volunteered to put together a survey of fans to get their views on alternative titles; thus, I'm seeking suggestions from you, the more elite and knowledgeable fans.

I don’t know whether any of you remember any previously suggested alternative titles—or even where any of the old threads might exist—but specifically put, the questions is:

If you had your druthers and could offer a more appropriate title for AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE, what would that title be?

Your suggestion can take the style/form of other Stooge short titles (such as A[N] XXXX IN EVERY XXXX, or THREE LITTLE XXXXs), or in the style of some other film, television show, album title, book title, or the like. Ideally, the suggested title should in some way relate to the general theme of the short; one or more aspects of the theme; or one or more scenes in the short; or, perhaps, a line from the film. For the winning entry, there may also be a may be a mock title card made, which will be shown at the fest in November.

Thus, if you have one or more suggestions, please offer them here. Also, if you know of any other potentially interested fans—in real life or at another fan board—it would be great if you could get some input from them, too. (Finally, rest assured that no one is benefiting financially from any suggestions offered.)

Many thanks for your assistance in this matter.
—shady
Eet ees a klasseek!!

Offline Bum

How about:

"The Ice Box [Not The Music Box]" in honor of Laurel and Hardy's similar attempt to haul a heavy object up a long staircase.

Offline metaldams

My two suggestions are:

THE 2ND BEST STOOGE SHORT EVER
THE ICEMAN DUMBETH
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Bum

My two suggestions are:

THE 2ND BEST STOOGE SHORT EVER
THE ICEMAN DUMBETH

THE ICEMAN DUMBETH blows away my suggestion. I vote for that one!

Offline metaldams

THE ICEMAN DUMBETH blows away my suggestion. I vote for that one!

Thanks man.  The Stan and Ollie tribute is pretty cool as well.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp Shady

Thanks for the great suggestions, guys.

I do remember THE ICEMEN DUMBETH, Doug, from one of the old boards.

The chronology also essentially works: ACHE was released in 1941, and O’Neill published The Iceman Cometh the previous year (even though the play itself didn’t premiere on Broadway until 1946).

If the title is one of your originals, kudos. It’s one of those that probably all of us wish we’d thought of first, kind of like the titles “Fail Mary” and “Inaccurate Reception” for that fiasco of a call on Monday night.

Also, if anyone has any additional suggestions, keep ‘em comin’; I might try to do a top-five list.
Eet ees a klasseek!!

Offline metaldams

Thanks for the great suggestions, guys.

I do remember THE ICEMEN DUMBETH, Doug, from one of the old boards.

The chronology also essentially works: ACHE was released in 1941, and O’Neill published The Iceman Cometh the previous year (even though the play itself didn’t premiere on Broadway until 1946).

If the title is one of your originals, kudos. It’s one of those that probably all of us wish we’d thought of first, kind of like the titles “Fail Mary” and “Inaccurate Reception” for that fiasco of a call on Monday night.

Also, if anyone has any additional suggestions, keep ‘em comin’; I might try to do a top-five list.

If I've heard of ICEMAN DUMBETH before, it's so deep in my brain I don't know where it originated from.  As it stands now, I'll call it a Metaldams original.

Speaking of AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE, I don't know if any of you guys are watching the Mack Sennett shorts on TCM, but if you caught 1926's ICE COLD COCOS, you'll see a precursor to both THE MUSIC BOX and AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE.  There's a gag where Bill Bevan brings ice up the stairs with tongs, but it melts before it gets in the box due to the body heat he has when attracted to a female.  The gags are not as developed as ACHE or MUSIC BOX, but definitely an inspiration.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Faeriegirl

• Shemp's Darling Dilly
  • Grapehead
  • Dreaming of Shemp
    • I Surf for the Freedom!!
"TO THE ICEBOX!!!!" Then have them actually yell it out like it too

Moe: Where's the kicthen ?
Curly: upstairs!
Moe: TO THE ICEBOX!!
Larry & Curly: TO THE ICEBOX!!

Seriously why not ?
Shemp: Moe! Larry! Wait for me!! *hits himself with shovel*
~ Who Done It?

Offline Shemp Shady

If I've heard of ICEMAN DUMBETH before, it's so deep in my brain I don't know where it originated from.  As it stands now, I'll call it a Metaldams original.

It's also so deep in my brain that I can’t say for sure where I first heard, read—or thought of—the title. But I do remember, when I was watching this short about icemen, thinking of the title of the O’Neill play, and then thinking of THE ICEMEN DUMB-ETH as a much better title for the Stooge short (despite the grammar problem, as ICEMEN is plural and–ETH is a 3rd-person singular ending); I also seem to remember later either telling someone of or posting that suggestion somewhere. Thus, unless a better recollection of when or how you came up with the title comes to you, or unless I remember another place where I might have heard or read it previously, the title might well be a Shady original. (I hate not having old records!)
Eet ees a klasseek!!

Offline TIEFENRAUSCH

Hi!!! I need some help!!! Does anyone have "An ache in every stake" in spanish dubbing??? I can't find it!!