Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

William Windom, 88, Emmy-Winning Actor

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Me and William Windom, at Ben Franklin's grave in Philadelphia, Nov. 1998

William Windom has died at age 88, the sad news from his MURDER, SHE WROTE costar Ron Masak; press reports pending.  Windom was 1970's Emmy winner for Best Actor in a Comedy Series, and is best known for his roles on the TV series MURDER, SHE WROTE, MY WORLD AND WELCOME TO IT, THE FARMER'S DAUGHTER, and notably as the prosecuting attorney in 1962's classic film TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD.

Windom won the Best Actor in a Comedy Series Emmy Award in 1970, for his NBC series MY WORLD AND WELCOME TO IT (1969 - 1970).  Joe Besser guest-starred in two episodes, "The Night the House Caught Fire" and "Darn That Dream."

I had the great privilege of spending time with him back in Nov. 98 when he was a guest of The Sons of the Desert of Philadelphia.  I accompanied some of the Tent's fellow members, as we took him on a tour of Independece Hall and the Liberty Bell, and he was one of our honorees at the Fall banquet.  He was always one of my favorite actors, and there I found myself lifting a couple beers with him at the bar, listening to him tell [very funny] Hollywood war stories.  I was thrilled to have a chance to know him personally and will always carry fond memories of his good humor.

William Windom Discusses TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD for TCM

STAR TREK  The Doomsday Machine (1967)

BARNEY MILLER  Doomsday (1975)

MY WORLD AND WELCOME TO IT  Rally Round the Flag (1969)

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE  The Train (1967)

THE FARMER’S DAUGHTER  The Stand In (1965)

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD (1962)