Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

3Stooges Colorization Explained!

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
According to these guys, we got the real color! (Or as close as they could get) ... kudos for the effort!
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline falsealarms

The colorization was a lot better than it was back in the 1980s, but bottom line is, you don't colorize black and white films. It was a waste of everyone's time and money and Sony eventually released the shorts the way they should have been all along.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

The colorization was a lot better than it was back in the 1980s, but bottom line is, you don't colorize black and white films. It was a waste of everyone's time and money and Sony eventually released the shorts the way they should have been all along.

What he said. The whole piece just bored me. Keep your technicolor crayons away from the black and white classics.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline locoboymakesgood

That was a special feature on one of the the colorized DVDs that Sony put out back in 2004.

As long as they offer the original B&W version I've never been against colorization. A movie to me that looks weird not colorized now is March of the Wooden Soldiers. It's fine in its original black and white but it pretty much has only aired in colorized form since I was a kid so when I watch it now it's the way I need to see it.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Bum

I'd love to find these two talking heads nowadays and ask them: "Did you REALLY think that what you were doing was an improvement?".  All the money, all the "research" [for correct colors, etc]...... all for absolutely nothing. Now out-of-print and already forgotten. For all the complaints about the chronological DVD sets [and their recent re-release], I don't recall hearing or seeing a single one regarding the exclusion of the colorized versions of the shorts.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I'd love to find these two talking heads nowadays and ask them: "Did you REALLY think that what you were doing was an improvement?".  All the money, all the "research" [for correct colors, etc]...... all for absolutely nothing. Now out-of-print and already forgotten. For all the complaints about the chronological DVD sets [and their recent re-release], I don't recall hearing or seeing a single one regarding the exclusion of the colorized versions of the shorts.
I actually thought it was because of the colorized debacle that Sony realized there was a market for chronological sets like they ended up releasing (not because people bought them but because of the debacle and poor sales). The 4 colorized discs were the last "themed" releases they put put until finally getting it right.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

ThumpTheShoes

So their extensive research for correct colors consists of browsing Ebay? Way to lose credibility.

And I still say that the ruby-red "ketchup" should, technically, be colored dark brown since it was probably chocolate syrup-- if they wanted to be 100% accurate.

Color recipe? My foot!

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
They could've used a REAL color / shades of grey / dialogue reference - Men in Black ... the Green Canary!
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.