Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Ron Palillo, "Horshack" on WELCOME BACK KOTTER, 63

Offline falsealarms

Via thewrap.com:

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/column-post/ron-palillo-horschack-welcome-back-kotter-dies-63-51921

Ron Palillo, best known for his role as Arnold Horshack on the 1970s TV sitcom "Welcome Back, Kotter," has died, the Palm Beach Post reports. He was 63.

He died at 4:30 a.m. at his Palm Beach Gardens home, a friend, Stacy Sacco, told the paper.

Palillo had been teaching at the G-Star Academy, a Florida charter school. He previously taught at his alma mater, the University of Connecticut, according to Corporate Artists, which employed him for speaking gigs.

Palillo played the goofy Horshack from 1975 to 1979 on "Kotter," which starred Gabe Kaplan as a hip but beleaguered teacher who presided over a classroom that also included a young John Travolta.

Palillo said he came up with Horshack's trademark, an overly excited "Ooh ooh!"

He continued to work steadily after "Kotter," guest starring on shows including "The Love Boat," "The A-Team," and "CHiPs." He also did voice work for cartoons, including "Darkwing Duck," and played himself in several episodes of "Ellen."

Palillo was also a pen-and-ink artist who worked under his full name, Ronald G. Palillo. He said he used it as a tribute to his father.

Offline stooge1029

So this guy was 63...that means he was 30 playing a teenager. I guess its nothing new...and its not as bad as that guy from Hannah Montana who was supposed to be Mileys brother but was really old enough to be her FATHER. RIP Horshack.

Offline Lefty

My friends and I used to do the Sweathogs' catchphrases, if not quite their voices.

"Hi there.  I don't happen to have it here, hahn-dee."
"I got a note!"
"What.  Where.  I'm Lefty Bah-bah-ree-nooooooooooo!"
"Heh, heh, heh!  Ooo!  Oo-oo!"

For a show that was on in the 1970s, it has lost 4 people already -- Horshack, Epstein, Woodman (okay, he was 120 years old), and recurring member Hotsy Totsy (Debralee Scott).

R.I.P. Ron!

Offline ProfessorStooge

Offline Curly4444

There was also the popular "Up your nose with a rubber hose".

I use to go around saying that all the time when i was a kid. lol

Offline Larrington

So this guy was 63...that means he was 30 playing a teenager. ...

He was probably around 26 when he started playing Horshack.
Met the guy around the time the series began (I grew up with Bobby Hegyes, who played Epstein).  Actually smoked a blunt with the two of them and Travolta just before they headed to L.A.
Great bunch of guys. 
Bobby was only 60 when he passed in January.