Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Thoughts on HOT PAPRIKA, a 1935 Clyde Columbia short

Offline falsealarms

I recently had the chance to see HOT PAPRIKA, a 1935 Columbia two-reeler starring Andy Clyde. It's an extra on the otherwise unrelated ICONS OF ADVENTURE set.

HOT PAPRIKA is a fascinating two-reeler for a Stooge fan. It's a who's who of familiar faces of the era. You'll see Bud Jamison, Ethelreda Leopold, June Gittleson, Helen Martinez, Johnny Kascier, and Harry Semels. Phyllis Crane and longtime player Lew Davis aren't credited on IMDB, but can be seen in the film. Clyde plants a kiss on co-worker Crane, who seems to have some fans here.

Directed by Preston Black (Jack White), HOT PAPRIKA comes recommended and played better the second time I watched it. Clyde, wrongly led to believe he has only months to live, flees to the island of Paprika and gets involved in a revolution. The short, which runs a little more than 17 minutes, flies by with hardly a wasted moment. Not to spoil anything, but it was fascinating to see the closing gag, which was immediately recognizable from an early 40s Curly short.

The video doesn't look quite as good as the Stooge shorts of the era, but it still looks good for its age. If you liked what you saw from Clyde on the RARE TREASURES set, then you're likely to enjoy this short as well.

Fun fact: HOT PAPRIKA was released on 12/12/35, two weeks after THREE LITTLE BEERS (11/28/35).

Offline Rich Finegan

I recently had the chance to see HOT PAPRIKA, a 1935 Columbia two-reeler starring Andy Clyde...

Fun fact: HOT PAPRIKA was released on 12/12/35, two weeks after THREE LITTLE BEERS (11/28/35).

The two shorts were filmed consecutively, too:
THREE LITTLE BEERS from Wednesday, October 9, 1935 through Saturday, October 12.
HOT PAPRIKA from Tuesday, October 15, 1935 through Friday, October 18.

HOT PAPRIKA was Columbia Production #209.
THREE LITTLE BEERS was #210.

Offline Rich Finegan

I recently had the chance to see HOT PAPRIKA, a 1935 Columbia two-reeler starring Andy Clyde.

HOT PAPRIKA is a fascinating two-reeler for a Stooge fan. It's a who's who of familiar faces of the era. You'll see Bud Jamison, Ethelreda Leopold, June Gittleson, Helen Martinez, Johnny Kascier, and Harry Semels. Phyllis Crane and longtime player Lew Davis aren't credited on IMDB, but can be seen in the film.

Also uncredited (and also unknown to IMDb) are Stooges familiar supporting players Beatrice Curtis (appeared in 5 Stooges shorts between 1936 & 1939) and Charles Dorety (in 14 Stooges shorts between 1934 & 1943).
They both appear in HOT PAPRIKA.

And regarding Phyllis Crane, did you know that August 7 (the day of your original post) was her birthday?

Offline falsealarms