Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Shorts you like that are not critical favorites...

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Well, I'm sure we all have shorts we like that are not necessarily critics or fan favorites; here are a few of mine:

Woman Haters
Flat Foot Stooges
Sock-A-Bye Baby
The Yokes On Me
If A Body Meets A Body
Three Loan Wolves
Rhythm and Weep
All Gummed Up
Baby Sitters Jitters
Don't Throw That Knife
Cuckoo on a Choo Choo
Up in Daisy's Penthouse
Income Tax Sappy

Whew! That's my list, what about yours...

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline stooge1029

Rhythm and Weep? Really? I dont just think thats one of the worst Curlys...its one of the worst shorts period. I do like the Yokes on Me...I think it gets panned by critics because of the racial issues but its understandable when you consider the time the film was made and the anti-Japanese sentiment in the country at the time. Its still a funny short. I also like Cookoo...very original short. I dont remember Dont Throw That Knife being regarded as a bad short by critics..but thats a gooden too.

Offline GentWithoutCents

Mutts to You/Flat Foot Stooges - These seem to be the Charley Chase directed films that get the worst rap, but I honestly don't have a problem with either.

Booty and the Beast - The safecracking scene was an improvement on Hold That Lion's opening scene in the office, so I tend to prefer this over the original 1947 short. 

Hoofs and Goofs/Horsing Around - Often cited as the worst Joe B efforts, but I'd reserve that spot for the laziest of remakes like Pies and Guys or Triple Crossed. I dunno, maybe I just enjoy these in a "so ridiculous, they're good" kinda way.

Offline falsealarms

A dozen of mine -

HUSBANDS BEWARE
FLYING SAUCER DAFFY
MUTTS TO YOU
FLAT FOOT STOOGES
GEM OF A JAM
BEER BARREL POLECATS
WOMAN HATERS
BOOTY AND THE BEAST
A BIRD IN THE HEAD
MUSCLE UP A LITTLE CLOSER
HOT ICE
SCHEMING SCHEMERS

Offline locoboymakesgood

I couldn't say any in particular but I really don't have a problem with any Besser shorts or Shemp remakes. Some are weaker than others but I can still watch all of them and enjoy them.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline archiezappa

I've always liked "Sweet And Hot."  It's weird, but there's just something about it.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Archiezappa ... its because Moe plays a German (his favorite spoof since You Natzy Spy) and says "oh ... I got a shplinter!" And the tearing of newspaper to the beat of the song is cute (can't remember the earlier ep that had one of the boys doing that ... maybe the alphabet song)
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline archiezappa

Archiezappa ... its because Moe plays a German (his favorite spoof since You Natzy Spy) and says "oh ... I got a shplinter!" And the tearing of newspaper to the beat of the song is cute (can't remember the earlier ep that had one of the boys doing that ... maybe the alphabet song)

Perhaps, you're right.  Well, that and making fun of Muriel's weight.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
The short that immediately comes to mind is Cuckoo on A Choo Choo. Years ago, when we still had the Missing 60 the score the shorts had (pokes) on the site were not a tally of member vote but were from a book that said Cuckoo was the worst Three Stooges short. I hadn't seen it since I was a child and was intrigued...finally getting a chance to see it when I won the Goodtimes VHS set off eBay. I watched it and I thought it was a nice change of pace from the Stooge norm.

In regards to The Yokes On Me; I know it comes from a different time in history, but it is still very hard to watch. I see some others like Beer Barrel Polecats that I think some people are looking at with "Curly colored glasses" because that short is an awful mess. Sweet and Hot and the horse shorts, while I regard them as the worst shorts ever have taken a "B-Movie bad/entertaining" status, but are in no way "good".
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown