Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Dick Van Dyke Show On Blu-ray

Offline falsealarms

No wonder Amazon had a blowout deal on the complete DVD set not too long ago.

Offline luke795

Are there any fans of the Dick Van Dyke Show?  I never really got into the show.  How good is the show?

Offline falsealarms

Are there any fans of the Dick Van Dyke Show?  I never really got into the show.  How good is the show?

In 2002, it was named the 13th greatest TV show of all time by TVGuide. It lasted for 158 episodes. It has an 8.5 rating on IMDB. So, obviously, it has a lot of fans. Just about anyone with a sense of television history would say it was an important show.

That said, I have to take their word for it, because I've never seen a full episode. The show has managed to escape me over the years. I never ran into re-runs of that show like I did with LUCY, HONEYMOONERS, BEWITCHED, JEANIE, AITF, MUNSTERS, etc.

TV Guide list: http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-207_162-507388.html

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

One of the best sitcoms & TV shows of all time.  Showed that the sitcom format can also be done with intelligent, professional and mature characters, not just caricatures and over-the-top situations.  A true ensemble that (like THE ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW) anchored the show with a star, and scripts that put the talented supporting cast in the spotlight whenever it made for a better story.

Pilot Episode -  "The Sick Boy and the Sitter" (1961)

My favorite episode, "Coast-to-Coast Big Mouth" (1965)

To bring the topic around to the Stooges, here's a musical clip from "Too Many Stars" (1963) with guest star Sylvia Lewis (BEDLAM IN PARADISE's 'Helen Blazes')...

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 08:00:08 PM by BeAStooge »

xraffle

That said, I have to take their word for it, because I've never seen a full episode. The show has managed to escape me over the years. I never ran into re-runs of that show like I did with LUCY, HONEYMOONERS, BEWITCHED, JEANIE, AITF, MUNSTERS, etc.

I've seen a few episodes. It's a good show, but I just never became a fan for some weird reason. I just never got hooked on it like I did with "I Love Lucy" and "The Honeymooners."

Offline archiezappa

I thought this was a good show.  Pretty funny.  But if you don't like Dick Van Dyke, you won't enjoy this show.