Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Avengers vs Dark Knight Rises

Poll

Which movie will make more total box office?

The Avengers
Dark Knight Rises

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I know it's two comic book movies having nothing to do with the Three Stooges, but I they are the biggest movies this year. Avengers broke the record for biggest opening weekend and some people think the final part of the Dark Knight trilogy will top it. What do you think? Also, if you have seen these movies post which one you prefer. I am planning on seeing Dark Knight Returns in a little bit and will give my verdict after.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Curly4444

I think it will do good, but not near as good as the avengers. On Friday batman made 30 million, and at that same time avengers made $80 million. Avengers made over $600 million US, and i see batman making like around $400-$450.

I definitely want to see it, my friend said it was awesome. But then again he loves batman. I missed out seeing avengers(was so busy), and dont want to let this one slip by. I'll have to wait till there out on dvd to do a comparison.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I just got back myself and it is a great movie. Box Office Mojo is projecting DKR to narrowly top Avengers, which prompted this poll. If you had asked me if DKR had a shot of beating Avengers before then I would have said "no way", but it's interesting to find out. My one qualm with the film (again, excellent movie and the 2hr 45min runtime flew by) is Bane's voice. He kind of sounds like a 100 year old Brit...kind of like Alistair Cooke on steroids.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I think it will do good, but not near as good as the avengers. On Friday batman made 30 million, and at that same time avengers made $80 million. Avengers made over $600 million US, and i see batman making like around $400-$450.

I definitely want to see it, my friend said it was awesome. But then again he loves batman. I missed out seeing avengers(was so busy), and dont want to let this one slip by. I'll have to wait till there out on dvd to do a comparison.

The $30.6 million is actually from midnight screenings only. By comparison the Avengers made $18.6 million. It will be interesting, like I said.

Offline Curly4444

The $30.6 million is actually from midnight screenings only. By comparison the Avengers made $18.6 million. It will be interesting, like I said.

I didn't know that, that changes everything. It may beat it then.

Will it do as well in the foreign market? Avengers made a killing overseas. If it doesn't, Batman wont have a chance of topping the avengers.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
It should do just fine overseas, The Dark Knight pulled in $468.5 million in the foreign market and that is without IMAX tickets. Everybody knows Batman, arguably the most popular comic book character.

A couple of quick thoughts on the film:

1. I highly recommend it to anyone.

2. The acting is once again superb, especially for a movie licensed from a comic book. I did find Bane's "Masterpiece Theater" voice to be odd but in no way does it detract from Tom Hardy's portrayal, believe it or not and I got over it quickly. Anne Hathaway is more than eye candy, she gave what is by far the best portrayal of Catwoman on film period. Eartha Kitt, Julie Newmar, Michelle Pfeiffer etc. pale in comparison. The plot is very engaging, sucks you right into Gotham City. It was cool to see cameos from past villians, but when you did you couldn't help but think how cool it would be to see Heath Ledger's Joker. I don't want to spoil anything but there are lots of goodies to be had here.

I also saw a couple of trailers that caught my eye: one for a remake or reboot of Wizard of Oz by Disney (which, much like the Stooges movie no one was asking for) and Christopher Nolan's next project: Man of Steel. Yep, he's going from Bats to Supes and I for one will be interested to see what Nolan can do with Mr. Kent.

Almost forgot, you can't go wrong with either movie. Although they are both comic book movies they are very different from one another and that makes it hard to pick a favorite. I will probably have to watch them back to back when I get a chance to give a final verdict.

Offline falsealarms

I never did see BATMAN BEGINS and only saw THE DARK KNIGHT via Blu-Ray. I enjoyed it quite a bit and have watched it a few times. I should go see DARK KNIGHT RISES in theaters... it seems like the kind of the movie that really plays best on a big screen. I almost went to a local midnight premiere, but didn't feel like dealing with the crowds.

Speaking of that, the legacy of this movie isn't going to be how good it is... or how much money it makes.... it's going to be the horrific Aurora theatre massacre. The two will be forever linked.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I never did see BATMAN BEGINS and only saw THE DARK KNIGHT via Blu-Ray. I enjoyed it quite a bit and have watched it a few times. I should go see DARK KNIGHT RISES in theaters... it seems like the kind of the movie that really plays best on a big screen. I almost went to a local midnight premiere, but didn't feel like dealing with the crowds.

Speaking of that, the legacy of this movie isn't going to be how good it is... or how much money it makes.... it's going to be the horrific Aurora theatre massacre. The two will be forever linked.

It will make enough money and be a big enough hit that in time a lone lunatic shooting up a theater will not be the only thing this movie is known for.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
A quick update, WB has decided not to release this weekend's box office numbers out of respect to the victims of the shooting.

Offline Curly4444

A quick update, WB has decided not to release this weekend's box office numbers out of respect to the victims of the shooting.

They have to release them sometime?

Offline falsealarms

I'll miss Ledger, Eckhart, and Gyllenhaal this go around. But I'm looking forward to seeing Joseph Gordon-Levitt (500 DAYS OF SUMMER) and Hathaway.

PS: Estimates have this at $160 million (http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/moviesnow/la-et-mn-boxoffice-20120723,0,4338070.story)

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
They have to release them sometime?

Eventually they do, most likely in a few days or this coming weekend at the latest.

Offline Curly4444

Eventually they do, most likely in a few days or this coming weekend at the latest.

Said the estimate was $160 million. At this time avengers had $206 Million. So its close, but avengers is still winning out. I wonder if the tragedy will help or hurt the money it makes?