Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

A PEACH OF A PAIR (1934)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
A PEACH OF A PAIR (1934) starring Shemp Howard, Daphne Pollard, Cora Witherspoon and Ernest Truex.  If some of the gags look familiar, director Lloyd French used them 7 years later for his script of AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE (1941).

Offline falsealarms

I can't wait for these Vitaphone shorts to be cleaned up and released via Warner Archive. In proper condition, they'll be every bit the revelation the Columbia solos generally were.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I can't wait for these Vitaphone shorts to be cleaned up and released via Warner Archive. In proper condition, they'll be every bit the revelation the Columbia solos generally were.
I can't wait. We haven't heard anything about them in awhile, though. I just hope none are lost like some of the Columbia shorts turned out to be.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Rich Finegan

I can't wait. We haven't heard anything about them in awhile, though. I just hope none are lost like some of the Columbia shorts turned out to be.

No, none are completely lost. I don't know what exists as far as 35mm material, or nitrate, negatives, etc.  but all of them do exist in 16mm prints.
There are only seven of Shemp's Vitaphone shorts that I haven't had video copies of for years, but I do know where 16mm prints are of those seven. So unless any last-remaining prints have relatively recently been lost, stolen or deteriorated, there should be material on all of the Shemp Vitaphones when it comes time to put together a DVD set (assuming and hoping it really will eventually happen).

I just hope that if a DVD set does come out, the compilers won't avoid including 16mm prints when necessary, afraid of complaints of inferior quality, if that's all there may be on some of the shorts. Less-than-perfect looking Vitaphone shorts (PUBLIC JITTERBUG NO. 1, starring Hal LeRoy, for example) have been released on DVD and shown on TCM before and the real fans will be okay with it and be grateful that the material is finally coming out.

Offline archiezappa

No, none are completely lost. I don't know what exists as far as 35mm material, or nitrate, negatives, etc.  but all of them do exist in 16mm prints.
There are only seven of Shemp's Vitaphone shorts that I haven't had video copies of for years, but I do know where 16mm prints are of those seven. So unless any last-remaining prints have relatively recently been lost, stolen or deteriorated, there should be material on all of the Shemp Vitaphones when it comes time to put together a DVD set (assuming and hoping it really will eventually happen).

I just hope that if a DVD set does come out, the compilers won't avoid including 16mm prints when necessary, afraid of complaints of inferior quality, if that's all there may be on some of the shorts. Less-than-perfect looking Vitaphone shorts (PUBLIC JITTERBUG NO. 1, starring Hal LeRoy, for example) have been released on DVD and shown on TCM before and the real fans will be okay with it and be grateful that the material is finally coming out.

I do hope that this will come out soon.  Shemp's Vitaphones are really funny.  Hopefully, nothing will stand in the way of remastering all of the shorts.  Perhaps, with the release of Shemp's Columbia shorts, there may be some renewed interest in these shorts made at Vitaphone.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
WHILE THE CAT'S AWAY (1936) starring Shemp Howard and Johnny Berkes.  Anita Garvin appears as Shemp's wife, and keeping with a Hal Roach Studios nostalgia theme, this is a reworking of two L&H classics, HELPMATES (1932) and UNACCUSTOMED AS WE ARE (1929).