Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Stooge titles that were "borrowed" from other movies

Offline wallawalla

• Grapehead
  • I think the goat walked right through it, I'm sure
Some of the titles of Stooges shorts were twists on titles of popular contemporary movies, although today I doubt they would even be recognized as such.

Two that I can think of are:
Violent is the Word for Curly (from Valiant is the Word for Carrie)
They Stooge to Conga (from She Stoops to Conquer)

Are there others?

Offline wallawalla

• Grapehead
Another one I remembered...

So Long Mr. Chumps (from Goodbye, Mr. Chips)

Offline FineBari3

Some of the titles of Stooges shorts were twists on titles of popular contemporary movies, although today I doubt they would even be recognized as such.

Two that I can think of are:
Violent is the Word for Curly (from Valiant is the Word for Carrie)
They Stooge to Conga (from She Stoops to Conquer)

Are there others?

Men in Black (from Men In White
Termites of 1938 (Golddiggers of 1938...is that the name of it?)

Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline Baggie

A few I could think of are these, but they may be wrong so help me out if you can:-

Calling All Cars (Calling All Curs)
 Babes In Arms (Boobs In Arms)
 All The World's A Stage (All The World's A Stooge)
 Local Boy Makes Good (Loco Boy Makes Good)
 Vagabond Lover (Vagabond Loafers) ??
The artist formerly known as Shempetta

Offline Senorita Rita

Technically those aren't all movies. "All the world's a stage" s  a line from Shakespeare's play, "As You Like It." ."Vagabond Lover," was once a hit song from what I've heard. Speaking of which, I recently discovered the 30's jazz tune "Gotta Go Places and Do Things," which makes Minnie's line in False Alarms all the funnier ("Lets go places and eat things!")
...to say the least, if not less...

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Technically those aren't all movies. "All the world's a stage" s  a line from Shakespeare's play, "As You Like It." ."Vagabond Lover," was once a hit song from what I've heard. Speaking of which, I recently discovered the 30's jazz tune "Gotta Go Places and Do Things," which makes Minnie's line in False Alarms all the funnier ("Lets go places and eat things!")

There was a 1929 Rudy Vallee movie titled "The Vagabond Lover."  (There were also a couple of movies made in the 1930's in India, whose English titles were "Vagabond Lover", although I doubt that they were heard of here in the U.S.)

CURLYFAN

Booty and the beast
Beauty and the beast

Sock A bye baby
Rock-a-bye-baby, however it is a Jerry Lewis move, doesn't count

In the sweet bye and bye song
in the sweet pie and pie

Offline Bruckman

• Musclehead, juice addict, synthol abuser, and Booby Dupe
  • Birdbrain
Somewhere I have an entire lexicon of title origins for Stooge films, unfortunately I can't find which disk I put the info on.

Few I recall:

Dutiful but Dumb = Beautiful but Dumb (1941 film)
Three Little Pigskins = Three Little Pigs (1933 Disney cartoon)
Guns A-Poppin' = Hellzapoppin' (1941 film, costarring Shemp, based on stage revue of same name)
Goofs and Saddles = Boots and Saddles (1937 Western)
Three Dumb Clucks = Three Smart Girls (1937 Deanna Durbin film, cf. also THREE SMART SAPS)

Termites of 1938 takes off on the 1930s penchant for including a year in a musical comedy, which in turn derived from the popular stage revues (Follies, George White's Scandals, etc.). So it's a parody of things like Broadway Melody of 1936, Gold Diggers of 1935, etc.

Sometimes the working titles of a Stooge short reveal the film being parodied: e.g. the working title of SHOT IN THE FRONTIER was LOW AFTERNOON, clearly parodying HIGH NOON. The short spoofs the main action of High Noon, right down to closeups of a clockface and a burlesque "showdown" in which the Stooges and the villains walk right by each other on an otherwise deserted street. While you don't have to be familiar w/High Noon to appreciate the sendup, it's an unusually careful parody from the Stooges and really deserves comparison with the feature.

Just as many Stooge titles derived from popular songs. Some of the previous posts include a few of these. E.g. the two Hitler spoofs, YOU NAZTY SPY and I'LL NEVER HEIL AGAIN, both derive their titles from hit songs of the 30s ("Oh, You Nasty Man" and "I'll Never Smile Again"). In the case of YOU NAZTY SPY, the short actually went into production as "Oh, You Nazty Spy" before someone decided to shorten the title.

"If it wasn't for fear i wouldn't get out of bed in the morning" - Forrest Griffin

Offline wallawalla

• Grapehead

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
Hmmm.... this sounds like I should add an additional field to the database for storing "Title Origins", which would also make an interesting page on the Stooge Info menu.

Pilsner Panther

Hmmm.... this sounds like I should add an additional field to the database for storing "Title Origins", which would also make an interesting page on the Stooge Info menu.

This also suggests a future Pilsner's Picks segment. I've got some of those songs that were turned into Stooges short titles, including Rudy Vallee's "I'm Just A Vagabond Lover," "In the Sweet By And By" sung by the Chicago Symphony Chorus, and others. One more to put in the pipeline...

BTW, Rob, the new header art looks very cool... but I'm glad you kept Mercedes' colorized illustration, because it's got Shemp in it, while the official Stooges logo doesn't (actually, on the old VHS tape boxes, it has either Curly or Shemp depending on what shorts are on the tape, but not both of them).

Speaking of artwork, I "faked up" this original 78 r.p.m. record label, and it goes out with some of my e-mails, to people who I think might appreciate the site. Once they check out the Picks, they're bound to take a look-see at the rest of it... nyuk nyuk nyuk!

8)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 23, 2005, 08:53:50 PM by Pilsner Panther »

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster

Well, I took that as a challenge and I have added that feature into the site.  You'll find Episode Title Origins at the bottom of the Stooge Info menu, and the Title Origin will appear in the Production Notes on the episode pages, where available.

We aims to please!

Super soivace!
   ;)

Jimmie Adams

The White Bros. (Jack & Jules) recycled titles from their silent directing days.  There were two Lige Conley comedies named SPOOKS (1925, supervised by Jack) and SLIPPERY SILKS (1926, directed by Jules).  There are some more, but these are the only two that come to mind.  I'll make a list later this month.

Here's some Stooge trivia:

What is the earliest known film directed by Jules White?

GOAT GETTERS (Educational, 12/14/1924)  Starring the Educational fat boy Tommy Hicks.

Jules' older brother Jack is on my top five list of the best comedy directors ever.  He had a magnificent career and was much more successful professionally, but yet is totally forgotten today.  Around 95% of his films no longer exist.  I've seen about ten and they are stunning.

Offline FineBari3

The White Bros. (Jack & Jules) recycled titles from their silent directing days.  There were two Lige Conley comedies named SPOOKS (1925, supervised by Jack) and SLIPPERY SILKS (1926, directed by Jules).  There are some more, but these are the only two that come to mind.  I'll make a list later this month.

Here's some Stooge trivia:

What is the earliest known film directed by Jules White?

GOAT GETTERS (Educational, 12/14/1924)  Starring the Educational fat boy Tommy Hicks.

Jules' older brother Jack is on my top five list of the best comedy directors ever.  He had a magnificent career and was much more successful professionally, but yet is totally forgotten today.  Around 95% of his films no longer exist.  I've seen about ten and they are stunning.

OOOOOOOOOO! What a good question!!!!

BTW, is that a pic of Charley Chase as your avatar???? (my accelerator is on & I cant make it out)
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Jimmie Adams

Close FineBari, it's Charley's crony Jimmie Adams.  I didn't really die in 1933.  I faked my death in order to make room for other comedians to become famous, like the Stooges, Bob Hope, and El Brendel.     ;)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Not 'totally forgotten' as a director.  Assuming the name "Preston Black" to hide income from an alimony-hungry ex-wife, he directed some great Stooges and Andy Clyde comedies from 1936 to 1937.

Offline Hammond Eggar

That is so fascinating!  I had no idea about Preston Black actually being Jack White under an assumed name.  I never fail to learn something new from this site.  Posters such as Dunrobin, Garystooge, BeAStooge and others are a God-send.  I would love to read more about the "Preston Black" story.  If you have any more details, please pass them along.  Thanks!
"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." - Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder, 1971)

Offline Bruckman

• Musclehead, juice addict, synthol abuser, and Booby Dupe
  • Birdbrain
Jack White was an all-around gagman/director who did stints at practically every comedy studio. I'm sure he did time at Hal Roach, but am not certain. I know he contributed to a couple of the Our Gang shorts after the series had moved to MGM in 1938. One of them was 1938's MEN IN FRIGHT, which sounds awfully close to a title the Stooges took from another MGM film.....

They also had another brother, Sam White, who directed shorts at RKO and elsewhere (I have a couple Edgar Kennedy shorts directed by Sam in my library).
"If it wasn't for fear i wouldn't get out of bed in the morning" - Forrest Griffin