Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Supporting players we wish we saw more of

Offline falsealarms

Who are some supporting players from the Columbia shorts (the 190 and the solos) that you wish you saw more of? For whatever reason, these players didn't appear as often or as prominently as you might have liked.

Some of mine -

Norma Randall - Best known for SPOOKS, Randall has frustrated Stooge researchers for years and years. She could still be alive, but nobody knows. Her listed 1930 birthdate may or may not be accurate, though it's accepted she was probably born in that general period. Randall had a short Hollywood career and basically dropped off the face of the earth in the mid 1950s, but no death information has been found. Norma Randall might not even be her real name. Or it could be a married name. Reports from 1953 referred to her as a 21-year-old USC co-ed. Other Stooge researchers contacted a USC archivist, but no leads emerged. Had she stuck in films longer, we might know more about her. She is not Rebel Randall, another supporting player with the same last name.

Hilda Title - Spunky little actress best remembered for being the crab dinner companion from PAIN IN THE PULLMAN. IMDB only lists eight credits, seven of which have some connection to the Stooges. But she vanished from the Hollywood scene in the late 1930s.

Lorna Gray - Nearly stole the show as "Sherri Rumsford" in THREE SAPPY PEOPLE. Appeared in four shorts.

Eddie Laughton - Laughton appeared in many shorts, but it often feels like he was under-utilized.

Gino Corrado - Corrado made for a great Stooge nemesis in roles like the chef from AN ACHE IN EVERY STAKE or the singer from MICRO PHONIES. Sadly, he appeared in all of 4 shorts.

Early Cantrell - Shined brightly as Shemp's wife in two of his Columbia solo shorts, but regrettably never appeared in a Stooge short. She had no acting credits after 1947.

Walter Long - Gruff character actor had a memorable turn in THREE LITTLE PIGSKINS, his first and last Stooge short.

Offline metaldams

Good topic

Billy Gilbert:  Only appeared in two Stooge shorts (MEN IN BLACK and PARDON MY SCOTCH) and was great in both.  Seeing him at Hal Roach, it's a shame he did not work with the boys more.

Jean Willes:  No explanation needed.

Cy Schindell: In a lot of shorts, but I wish he got bigger roles.  Great comic timing and facial expressions.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Off the top of my head...

Rebel Randall: She was quite the sight to behold in Booby Dupes as a bathing beauty (Yowsers, what a dish). She pops up in a few of the Shemp solos, but unfortunately not in a bathing suit. Wish she did more films w/ the stooges.

Phyliss Crane: A nice little cutie, with great legs in Pop Goes The Easel. I wonder what happened to her after 1936. I believe A Pain In The Pullman was her last stooge short, correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh, and I would have liked to seen a lot more of Dianna Darrin (Yowsers!)...

Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
The woman that tamed Shemp in "His First Flame" ... Daphne Pollard ... a physical comic of the first order
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline metaldams

Off the top of my head...

Rebel Randall: She was quite the sight to behold in Booby Dupes as a bathing beauty (Yowsers, what a dish). She pops up in a few of the Shemp solos, but unfortunately not in a bathing suit. Wish she did more films w/ the stooges.

Phyliss Crane: A nice little cutie, with great legs in Pop Goes The Easel. I wonder what happened to her after 1936. I believe A Pain In The Pullman was her last stooge short, correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh, and I would have liked to seen a lot more of Dianna Darrin (Yowsers!)...

Rebel Randall is married to Shemp in WHERE THE PEST BEGINS (a world where Christine McIntyre is married to Tom Kennedy) and the girlfriend of Vernon Dent in BOOBY DUPES.  If Columbia comedy shorts mirrored real life, I would be swapping girlfriends with Derek Jeter.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

I just remembered this one while watching Heavenly Daze, Sam McDaniel; he was great as Spiffingham the butler. Would definitely have liked to seen him in more shorts with the stooges.
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline archiezappa

Phyllis Crane - I wish she had been used in more shorts.  She was great.  She could do physical comedy, too.

Gino Corrado - He was a great foil for the Stooges and should have been in more episodes.

Offline archiezappa

Ethelreda Leopold - I forgot about her.  I was watching "A Pain In The Pullman" last night and saw her as an extra on the train.  She was very talented and very pretty.  She definitely should have been used more.  I especially liked her role in "Wee Wee Monsieur."

Offline falsealarms

Fred Toones is another one. His only Stooge short was WOMAN HATERS.

Offline Rich Finegan

Phyllis Crane: A nice little cutie, with great legs in Pop Goes The Easel. I wonder what happened to her after 1936.

Phyllis Crane has always been a favorite of mine, too, and I also wish she'd appeared in more Stooges shorts.

Regarding what ever happened to her after 1936 I had wondered about that, too...ever since the 1970's! That's when I started researching her life & career. Continued research (much pre-internet) since that time has revealed much about her which I plan to cover in a future Three Stooges Journal article.
I was even given a large collection by one of Phyllis' step-daughters about 15 years ago of one-of-a-kind family photos and rare stills, many with descriptions and captions written on them by Phyllis herself. They range from wonderful stills of her posing in Vaudeville at age 8 all the way up to 1982, the year she died. Also a fascinating scrapbook on Phyllis' career from the mid-1920's through 1934 kept by her mother.

But basically here's some of what happened to her after 1936:
She gave up Hollywood in 1937 after increasingly smaller roles in films, moved east to try her luck there, and appeared in one east-coast-produced Vitaphone short. It's still not clear exactly what she was up to beween about 1938 and 1947 but I have numerous portraits she had taken during that time that look like head-shots for potential acting or modeling jobs. No further acting jobs are known, at least not in films. Anyway, about 1948 she met a married man with two daughters. He divorced his wife, married Phyllis, and reportedly all remained friends. Phyllis remained happily married to him and raised the two step-daughters. They divided their time between homes in New York and Florida until her death in 1982. Her husband who was older than she, outlived her by a few years.

Apparently Phyllis rarely spoke of her movie days to her family. In fact it wasn't until I sent copies of some of Phyllis' comedies to her step-daughters that they discovered how funny she could be. One of them wrote to me in an October 3, 1996 letter about the videos:
"As she never spoke of those days I was amazed to see what a comic flare she had. I would have loved to have heard stories of Moe, Larry and Curly. It must have been a riot on those sets... My sons can't believe Phyllis was so silly as she was a very humorless Grandmother and like W.C. Fields didn't like children!"
She went on to say about "Phyl" (as they called her): "Through the years she was very good to me and stood by me during some very bad times, much more so than my father!"
She said that her favorite among the videos of Phyllis' comedies that I sent her was her role in the 1936 Buster Keaton short THREE ON A LIMB.

Offline Rich Finegan

Who are some supporting players from the Columbia shorts (the 190 and the solos) that you wish you saw more of? For whatever reason, these players didn't appear as often or as prominently as you might have liked.

In addition to Phyllis Crane, some others I'd like to have seen more of are:
Beatrice Curtis (in 5 Stooges shorts between 1936 & 1939). Most memorable in FALSE ALARMS and BACK TO THE WOODS.
Sylvia Lewis (so memorable in BEDLAM IN PARADISE)!

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Phyllis Crane has always been a favorite of mine, too, and I also wish she'd appeared in more Stooges shorts.

Regarding what ever happened to her after 1936 I had wondered about that, too...ever since the 1970's! That's when I started researching her life & career. Continued research (much pre-internet) since that time has revealed much about her which I plan to cover in a future Three Stooges Journal article.
I was even given a large collection by one of Phyllis' step-daughters about 15 years ago of one-of-a-kind family photos and rare stills, many with descriptions and captions written on them by Phyllis herself. They range from wonderful stills of her posing in Vaudeville at age 8 all the way up to 1982, the year she died. Also a fascinating scrapbook on Phyllis' career from the mid-1920's through 1934 kept by her mother.

But basically here's some of what happened to her after 1936:
She gave up Hollywood in 1937 after increasingly smaller roles in films, moved east to try her luck there, and appeared in one east-coast-produced Vitaphone short. It's still not clear exactly what she was up to beween about 1938 and 1947 but I have numerous portraits she had taken during that time that look like head-shots for potential acting or modeling jobs. No further acting jobs are known, at least not in films. Anyway, about 1948 she met a married man with two daughters. He divorced his wife, married Phyllis, and reportedly all remained friends. Phyllis remained happily married to him and raised the two step-daughters. They divided their time between homes in New York and Florida until her death in 1982. Her husband who was older than she, outlived her by a few years.

Apparently Phyllis rarely spoke of her movie days to her family. In fact it wasn't until I sent copies of some of Phyllis' comedies to her step-daughters that they discovered how funny she could be. One of them wrote to me in an October 3, 1996 letter about the videos:
"As she never spoke of those days I was amazed to see what a comic flare she had. I would have loved to have heard stories of Moe, Larry and Curly. It must have been a riot on those sets... My sons can't believe Phyllis was so silly as she was a very humorless Grandmother and like W.C. Fields didn't like children!"
She went on to say about "Phyl" (as they called her): "Through the years she was very good to me and stood by me during some very bad times, much more so than my father!"
She said that her favorite among the videos of Phyllis' comedies that I sent her was her role in the 1936 Buster Keaton short THREE ON A LIMB.

Wow, thanks for the info Rich. That was definitely an interesting read & I look forward to any future articles you publish about Phyllis in the Journal.

Offline Dr. Hugo Gansamacher

Phyllis Crane--agreed.

"As she never spoke of those days I was amazed to see what a comic flare she had.

As long as she didn't fire it inside a movie studio!

Barbara Slater (Curly's dancing partner in Three Smart Saps and Lulu, the daughter of Professor Quackenbush, in Half-Wits' Holiday, also spliced into Pies and Guys)—just because she was insanely beautiful (with a sexy voice into the bargain); though I admit that she wasn't funny and so would probably not have been very interesting if she had made further appearances.

Offline Rich Finegan

Phyllis Crane--agreed.

Quote from: Rich Finegan on July 25, 2012, 07:15:24 AM
"As she never spoke of those days I was amazed to see what a comic flare she had."

Hey, that's how her step-daughter spelled it in the letter I quoted! Should have been "flair" I suppose...

Offline metaldams

Phyllis Crane--agreed.

Barbara Slater (Curly's dancing partner in Three Smart Saps and Lulu, the daughter of Professor Quackenbush, in Half-Wits' Holiday, also spliced into Pies and Guys)—just because she was insanely beautiful (with a sexy voice into the bargain); though I admit that she wasn't funny and so would probably not have been very interesting if she had made further appearances.

I have two weaknesses, (OK, I lie, I have millions of them), but my two greatest weaknesses are pretty redheads and taller women, and Barbara Slater falls into the latter.  If you ever want to see Barbara Slater in a good support role, check her out in Charlie Chaplin's highly underrated MONSIEUR VERDOUX (1947) as the clerk at the flower store.  She's great in that role.
- Doug Sarnecky

I have two weaknesses, (OK, I lie, I have millions of them), but my two greatest weaknesses are pretty redheads and taller women, and Barbara Slater falls into the latter. 
Are you unaware that she was a redhead?

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Billy Gilbert - I just thought of this one, BG was hysterical in Men in Black and Pardon My Scotch (More pigs). He definitely should have been brought back to work with the boys more often...

Offline metaldams

Are you unaware that she was a redhead?

If so...damn!  Black and white film makes it hard to identify redheads for me.
- Doug Sarnecky

If so...damn!  Black and white film makes it hard to identify redheads for me.

Well, I don't have independent confirmation, but I'm pretty sure of it, just from seeing how women whom I know to have been redheads (e.g., Greer Garson, Katharine Hepburn) look on black-and-white film. It struck me the very first time I saw her, in Three Smart Saps.

Offline Signor Spumoni

I would like to have seen more of Dudley Dickerson.  His facial expressions were great.  I love his famous line, "This house's sure gone crazy!"  I say that at home all the time.

Offline falsealarms

Another one -

Helen Martinez, maid from ANTS IN THE PANTRY. A small role, but she sparkles in her screen time. Currently one of our undocumented players, she appeared in just two other films besides ANTS (a pair of Columbia Clyde shorts in 1935/1936). She fell off the map after that.

Offline Rich Finegan

I'd like to have seen Claire Carleton appear in more Three Stooges shorts in addition to just FRIGHT NIGHT (and of course, its remake).