Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Larry's best moments

Pilsner Panther

Offline carpetman

larrys best moment was in an ache in every stake where the stooges are cooking and larry is using a bottle of something or other for hair tonic

Jimmie Adams

The major flaw with this topic is where the hell do you start?  Larry Fine is one of the most underated comedians in film history.  Maybe the best short that showcases Larry's talent is in HE COOKED HIS GOOSE.  Larry takes some amazing falls (another overlooked skill of his) for a 50 year old man.  He may have been given the lead role because Curly died during production and Moe and Shemp were probably not into it at that particular time.  Another great Larry short is CUCKOO ON THE CHOO-CHOO (which I like).

Ringworm

Wow Jimmie! A hundred carrots? You sure know your onions! I can possibly picture Shemp in Larry's role in that short, but not Moe

This is a great Larry short. He was a very versatile Stooge. Three Loan Wolves, he ssumes the Curly role as a third Stooge. Oil's Well That Ends Well, first scene, he assumes the Moe role!

Pilsner Panther

The major flaw with this topic is where the hell do you start?  Larry Fine is one of the most underated comedians in film history.  Maybe the best short that showcases Larry's talent is in HE COOKED HIS GOOSE.  Larry takes some amazing falls (another overlooked skill of his) for a 50 year old man.  He may have been given the lead role because Curly died during production and Moe and Shemp were probably not into it at that particular time.  Another great Larry short is CUCKOO ON THE CHOO-CHOO (which I like).

One of the things that's most overlooked about Larry is what a great physical comedian he was. He's not just "the Stooge who reacted to the others." From the near the beginning of his film career ("Punch Drunks"), almost to the end ("Goof On The Roof"), he did some pratfalls that were worthy of Buster Keaton, Oliver Hardy, or Red Skelton. Not as many, but Larry was right in there with the best when he wanted to be.

As to "Cuckoo On A Choo-Choo," the comments here on the short seem to indicate that it's a "love it or hate it" issue. It's certainly a departure from what (by then) was the standard Stooges fare, and it's also kind of disturbing, what with the claustrophobic atmosphere of the whole thing taking place inside one railroad car, and Shemp being depicted as a raving drunk with hallucinations.

Personally, I think it's brilliant— but then I see giant canaries, too.

Offline JazzBill

My favorite Larry Moment comes at the end of " So Long Mr. Chumps ". He is putting fake rocks on Curly's head and Moe is busting them up with a sledge hammer.The last rock is a real one and he and Curly break character.The grin on Larry's face goes ear to ear, and you can tell it is a real grin and not part of the bit.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Danl57

Larry's best moments?????????????
I agree......where do you start???????????
I do think that one of his best moments was in "Pop Goes the Easel" when Larry put a flower on top of Curly's head and said "Here's a flower for your hat madam"  who can forget the time when Larry looked to see what time it was and the clock stopped and Larry said "I stop more clocks that way"  I just purchased Larry's final interview...Its great!!!!

Curley91

I got a kick out of Larry's 'Mirror, Mirror on the wall' from "Gypped in the Penthouse".

Dog Hambone

Two Larry bits that still make me laugh out loud even though I've seen them a hundred times:

1. They're in Ichabod Slipp's office & Shemp has the fishbowl stuck on his head. Shemp says something that Moe & Larry can't understand. Moe asks, "What'd he say?" & Larry answers (I won't even try to spell it right), "Bo bo bo de bo bo de bo". I think this was in Hold That Lion & possibly one of the Shemp remakes.

1. During the pie fight near the end of Half-Wits Holiday (& probably one of the remakes), Moe gets ready to hit Larry in the face with a pie. Larry quickly ducks, squatting down next to Moe, & then points at Moe & smiles as if to say, "I really put one over on you". Then, Moe squats & smashes the pie into Larry's face (& Larry doesn't even try to avoid it the 2nd time!). 

Offline porcupinefan87

Well, sorry since I realize this topic hasn't been touched upon in some 100 years (okay more like one), but I just joined the board and since Larry's my favorite, I couldn't help putting in my two cents.

I loved the things that all of you posted. It's particularly true that he was a very good physical comedian, as well as being the "great reactor". He does take good falls, and just has a funny way of moving or being flung around the room, such as when Moe grabs him by the hair.

He's certainly one of the most underrated of the stooges and I feel he had a lot of acting talents. As one said, he didn't have to speak to be funny.

I had completely forgotten about that moment in "Rhythm and Weep" when he turns to the camera and makes that quip about the kissing and getting paid.

He's great in "Woman Haters", their first short and one of the few to feature him heavily. Shows he can carry things when needed and he can sing haha. I agree that he's particularly good in all of their earlier ones...such as "Men In Black", "Punch Drunks", "Ants In The Pantry", "Three Little Pigskins", "Uncivil Warriors" etc. All have their share of Larry moments.

I love how he'll often make some mumbled, under his breath comment, that some hear and others may not. For example, I love how in "Three Little Beers" when the other golfers tell them that they're supposed to follow them, Larry goes "You think you own the place?" as they walk off.

The Besser-era shorts are good ONLY in the respect that they show how Larry was dedicated and when he had to do more, he certainly came through and held things together. He took more slaps and such. He seemed the type who sort of didn't do all that much if he didn't have to (ie if Curly was there or something) yet when called to duty he came through every time and did the job.

Certainly love his random Tarzan yell in "Disorder in the Court" as well as how he flirts with the cop in "Pop Goes The Easel". Actually, he's got a lot of good bits in the latter...such as his comment about "What would you do if you held the queen alone?"..."That depends when the king is expected home."

I too love his illogical thinking. For example, in "A Ducking they Did Go" when the boat has a hole in it, and is sinking, Larry shoots another hole then explains "I'm making other hole so the water can go out."

Any time he plays the violin or piano or when he busts into his russian dance is wonderful.

In short he rocks.

Sorry again for sort of coming into this way late, but I just got on this board and it seems like you've done a good job here.

"Roses are red, and how do you do? Drink four of these and...woob woob woob woob!" - Curly, 'No Census, No Feeling'
------------
"Ehhh....money shrinks!!!" - Shemp, 'Don't Throw That Knife'
------------
"Even the comedians that make you laugh the hardest, have tragedies in their lives.  Laughter is all we have against the pain of life and death." - Larry Fine

Offline jrvass

• Dickey-Do Award Winner!
  • Birdbrain
Good observations. I enjoyed re-reading this thread. (Anyone ever hear from Pilsner Panther?)

James
This prestigious award, has been presented to you.
Because your belly sticks out farther than your Dickey-Do!

Offline kinderscenen

Wow...2 years later, and I just noticed I screwed up the fact that it was Three Loan Wolves that has some of Larry's best lines.  I loved his expression as he's getting slapped holding the baby!  (Also loved the fact that that baby changed genders about 3 times! I'm guessing it was a girl.)

Cukoo on a Choo-Choo has to be one of my favorites, even though it's in that love/hate category with so many fans.  I think the fact that it just doesn't make any damn sense (ala Family Guy) is what makes it hysterical for me.  "Don't spoil my sandwich with that stinky stuff!", indeed! Of course, He Cooked His Goose is a fine (pun intended) showcase for Larry's pratfalls and proved that he can lead the show, if needed.

Upon finally locating my ancient 1982 Stooge videos, I have to agree with those who say that some of Larry's finest moments come during the Besser era--thank goodness that Joe didn't want to take the slaps (although we know that changed), because it gave Larry a better chance to be something other than the one that reacts.
Larry: They’ll hang us for this!
Moe: I know! Let’s cremate him!
Larry: Can’t do that--we ain’t got no cream!

Offline ericcraddock

• Porcupine
  • Badlands Blackie to youse guys!
I can't believe no one mentioned the short (the title eludes me right now) where Larry is hiding from a woman's husband in the closet and when she asks "What will we do?" Larry puts on a floral ladies hat, flashes his winning smile and says "Tell him I'm your aunt." Also, I always loved Larry as a southerner.
"You all just ejaculated a mouthful!" - Moe (Uncivil Warbirds)

Offline porcupinefan87

Oh I agree!!!!!! I love that part. Larry's always able to work the mock-feminine thing, which I think just makes him more adorable. I think that is from "Don't Throw That Knife". 

"Tell him I'm your aunt" haha...it's great.

Oh yeah, he's great as a Southerner. He does a great accent. I love in "Uncivil Warriors" when he becomes their father  aka "Uncle Tom" (short for pappy haha) and he's all "Where's my  son? Where's capitan Dodge?" haha

"Roses are red, and how do you do? Drink four of these and...woob woob woob woob!" - Curly, 'No Census, No Feeling'
------------
"Ehhh....money shrinks!!!" - Shemp, 'Don't Throw That Knife'
------------
"Even the comedians that make you laugh the hardest, have tragedies in their lives.  Laughter is all we have against the pain of life and death." - Larry Fine

Offline BeatleShemp

I loved in UNCIVIL WARBIRDS where Larry responds to the young southern man: "What's a matter y'all?"  Larry is hilarious in anything he does.

I loved his bit in INCOME TAX SAPPY when he tackles the oyster stew gag.  I like when he gets snared in PARDON MY CLUTCH.  That was priceless! 

Or how about A SNITCH IN TIME, when he and Moe exchange words.

LARRY: Hey Moe, I finished the drawer!
MOE: Whaddya want me to do, kiss you?
LARRY: Well... (SLAP!)

Great!

Hoi Polloi has a bit where Moe is beating up Curly after the champange incident, and Larry walks across the room and inquires about it, and Moe just hauls off and slaps him.

Quiz Whizz has some great Larry bits, especially the blind man's bluff game, and when he and Moe kiss, Moe pulls off his blindfold and says "I'm poisoned!" followed by an eyepoke.