The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM (1941), August 7 on MOD DVD

Linked Events

• TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM (1941) on DVD: August 07, 2012 - August 13, 2012

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM (1941) is coming to DVD on August 7.  Sony will release it thru its "Choice Collection" (aka "Columbia Classics") line of Manufactured-on-Demand DVDs.

The Columbia musical-comedy stars Rudy Vallee, Ann Miller, Allen Jenkins, Rosemary Lane and Richard Lane.  Comedy relief is provided by costars Moe, Larry & Curly, and Elvia Allman & Blanche Stewart as 'Brenda & Cobina.'

Box art posted at DVDEmpire...
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 08:15:58 PM by BeAStooge »

Offline falsealarms

Despite being a DVD-R, this is an essential get. The Stooges have a big enough role in this and you see a prime Curly do the maharajah routine. These Sony DVD-Rs have typically have outstanding picture quality, so no worries on that front. Besides the Stooges, there's several standby's that pop up in the film - like Bud Jamison, Bess Flowers, Eddie Laughton, Richard Fiske, and Lew Davis.

This is better than ROCKIN IN THE ROCKIES. Now we need to see START CHEERING.

Offline ProfessorStooge

This is awesome news. I am definitely buying this one when it comes out.

ThumpTheShoes

Well it's about time! Especially since TCM has no interest in running it again. Different companies, but I'd rather see a sparkling clear release of Myrt and Marge rather than Start Cheering. Or even Fugitive Lovers.

Offline falsealarms

Well it's about time! Especially since TCM has no interest in running it again. Different companies, but I'd rather see a sparkling clear release of Myrt and Marge rather than Start Cheering. Or even Fugitive Lovers.

I'd certainly welcome all those films, especially MYRT and MARGE. I was disappointed that MYRT wasn't on the 30s rarities set Universal is releasing. That would have made a LOT more sense than some of those turkeys on there (of the four on there, only the Fields film is intriguing).

Offline locoboymakesgood

I watched Myrt & Marge over this past weekend and really enjoyed it again. I think the only copy circulating among us is a Cinemax airing from the mid-80s! Definitely deserves a proper release.

Time Out for Rhythm is a must-buy for sure. Not surprised Sony is taking the MOD route, but a proper release is welcome.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline archiezappa

"Time Out For Rhythm" is a good movie.  An essential for Three Stooges fans.  A funny movie and I love watching Ann Miller.

Some of the other Columbia feature films are not essential, such as "Start Cheering."  "Start Cheering" hardly has the Stooges in it at all and, most importantly, that movie sucks so bad I can't stand it.  The only time I "started cheering" was when that movie was over.  The Stooges deserved better; so did Jimmy Durante.  Jimmy was good, but not good enough to save this horrible waste of nitrate film.

"Myrt & Marge" is also essential for Stooge fans.  It's the best feature film that has Ted Healy & The Stooges with Curly.  They are major players in this, mainly, ensemble cast.  Great movie overall.  Very entertaining.

"Fugitive Lovers" is a good movie, but if you're watching it for the Stooges, you'll be disappointed.  They're not in it that much.  Ted Healy has a big role, but even he is only in the movie up to a certain point.  I like the movie simply because it's a good movie and not necessarily because it features the Stooges.  That's just a nice perk.

Offline CurlyShuffle

I'm very much looking forward to TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM on DVD, as I've never seen it before.  It sounds like I also need to add MYRT AND MARGE to my collection, as I haven't seen that one either.  Can anyone help me with a DVD copy?  I know it hasn't been released commercially, but figure someone on this board has a copy.  I'll make it worth your while  >:D

Thanks!!

Offline CurlyShuffle

TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM is up for pre-order at Amazon.com for $20.  Can't wait!!

Offline falsealarms

Offline ProfessorStooge

I just ordered a copy of this film. The Stooges provide excellent comic relief and Curly's performance in the Carmen Miranda getup was a classic.

Offline falsealarms

Offline fearlessfrizzletop

Still waiting for mine to arrive from oldies.com; shipment was delayed due to the "on demand" nature of the disc. Will happily post some screengrabs once I get my mitts on it!

xraffle

I'm still waiting for a price drop. $20.95 is too much for a DVD copy of a movie.

Offline falsealarms

I'm still waiting for a price drop. $20.95 is too much for a DVD copy of a movie.

It's as low as $14.26 via Amazon third parties.

ThumpTheShoes

Sony DVD
Taped from TV/VHS to DVD

Sony DVD
Taped from TV/VHS to DVD

Sony DVD
Taped from TV/VHS to DVD

The MOD dvd has no menu, no extra features, plays the movie (after the FBI warnings) on startup and loops infinitely.

For my old homebrew dvd, I made my own goofy menu screenies:

And even included special features (so special they had nothing to do with the feature), crappy photo-chop and all!  [pie]

It looks like the image for the MOD disc has been cleaned up some (dvnr), however if you look really closely at the scenes that were used in the (re-release?) trailer, you'll notice a heap of base scratches that weren't rubbed out, especially in the dark contrasty areas (like Moe's cape in the Maha bit). Maybe someone wasn't too careful with the neg when compiling that trailer?!

Offline falsealarms

The screenshots look very good to me.... thanks for getting them up. But I'm rather... perplexed ... at the bonus features. Why not include a non-Stooge/Keaton Columbia two-reeler from 1941 instead of a Stooge short easily available elsewhere? I just wish this was included in the big box set - seems odd to release it via MOD just two months later.

ThumpTheShoes

Note: The "menu" screens come from my homebrew disc-- the Sony MOD disc has no menu and no special features at all.

Offline falsealarms

Note: The "menu" screens come from my homebrew disc-- the Sony MOD disc has no menu and no special features at all.

Well, that makes more sense. I probably should have read closer.....

Offline HELLOLARRY

Thanks for the screen grabs. What was the source of the other DVD you used? Was that the print they ran on TCM last year (I think)?  I'm glad this film is available, it is the most enjoyable feature they did with Curly and unlike Start Cheering, Rockin in the Rockies, I don't find myself fast forwarding through the rest of the story to get to their next scene. Kind of like Abbott and Costellos debut film One Night in the Tropics. The film around it is pleasant enough. Too bad the Stooges didn't have more showcases like this in this time period. I for one am of the opinion that Curly's performance in Three Little Pirates is sad. Sure he get's through the routine but when you compare it to Time Out For Rhythm, it really accentuates how far he fell. The rest of their features with Curly are more curious to me whereas I actually 'enjoy' this entire film.  Nice job again on the screen grabs.

ThumpTheShoes

What was the source of the other DVD you used? Was that the print they ran on TCM last year (I think)?

TCM ran the picture in 2010. What I have on the old dvd is a bootleg from an airing some years before that. Might have been TCM or Showtime or something. I don't remember seeing a TCM logo but it might have been there. Nice to have the upgrade, for sure. I think there's some essential Stooge footage, there.

Offline archiezappa

Thanks for the screen comparisons.  I haven't bought this yet, but I probably will soon.