Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Beach Boys new album

Offline falsealarms

Has anyone had a chance to listen to it? If not, it looks like each song is streaming free at http://www.myspace.com/thebeachboys/music/albums/that-s-why-god-made-the-radio-18562262

I've listened to the album, most songs multiple times, and it's really not that bad. Is it Pet Sounds? Of course not, but it's a pretty good late career effort.

Offline Bum

Never in a million years did I ever fathom that I'd be saying these words, but here goes........

[gulp]..... "I find the new Beach Boys album more enjoyable than the new Rush album"

Wow, still can't believe I said it. You're right, it's not Pet Sounds......... however, the last three songs [which some people are referring to as a "suite", speaking of Rush] are very Pet Sounds-esque. If you're a fan of the Beach Boys nostalgic "fun sun & surf" stuff, you'll get some of that on this album [the title track, which I think is a great song; "Spring Vacation"; others], however you'll also get the "Brian Wilson genius" stuff as well [the aforementioned closing suite]. Not every track is a winner, but overall, a decent album from a bunch of septuagenarians, and definitely the best thing they've done since the early 70's. The most shocking aspect of this album: The amount of Brian Wilson lead vocals [over half the songs], and he actually sounds decent!

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
I heard "That's Why God Made the Radio" a few weeks back and liked it.
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline falsealarms

I heard "That's Why God Made the Radio" a few weeks back and liked it.

That song gradually grew on me, but it's probably only the fourth or fifth best song on the album. Bum is right - the last three tracks are especially worth a listen, as are 4, 7, 8, and 9. While I'm bigger on some than others, I didn't outright dislike any track on it.

Offline metaldams

I'll have to give the new Beach Boys album a listen (and Rush album too).  I'll post my opinion when I do.  I admit the concept of a suite sounds intriguing, but after being blown away by SMILE some months back, this is going to have to be really good to impress me.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

I'm way behind.  I have "Pet Sounds" on vinyl (an original, not a reissue), but I don't have their 2011 followup "Smile," as of yet.  So, I need to get "Smile" and "That's Why God Made The Radio."  I know "Smile" is on vinyl and I saw on Amazon that the new one will be on vinyl, as well.  Awesome!

Offline falsealarms

There really needs to be a complete Beach Boys box, like the Beatles one from a few yrs ago.

Offline archiezappa

Oh yeah, the Beatles LP box set is a pretty cool thing.  I wanted to buy it, but I found it cheaper to buy the individual albums.  I have all of the Beatles U.S. Capitol and Apple albums.  The original studio albums.  I found that cheaper than buying the box set.  Pretty cool, though.  I'd like to get the Beach Boys stuff the same way.  Probably easier to get the individual albums, but a box would be cool.  And I'd still like The Beatles Box, anyway, since it's the British albums, whereas I have the U.S. albums.

Offline metaldams

There really needs to be a complete Beach Boys box, like the Beatles one from a few yrs ago.

I'm completely happy with my Beatles mono box set, that thing is going on the desert island with me.

But a Beach Boys album box set?  Gotta disagree.  The Beach Boys made good albums from the mid 60's - mid 70's.  With  the earlier albums they were a singles oriented band and the albums are spotty.  Beach Boys albums in the late 70's - early 90's?  Pass.

But if you guys haven't done so already, do check out the two-fer (which all Beach Boys albums minus PET SOUNDS are released as) SUNFLOWER/SURF'S UP, which are the albums from 1970 and 1971.  Both excellent, especially the former. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

But if you guys haven't done so already, do check out the two-fer (which all Beach Boys albums minus PET SOUNDS are released as) SUNFLOWER/SURF'S UP, which are the albums from 1970 and 1971.  Both excellent, especially the former. 

The song FOREVER is worth the price of admission alone. That's about as good as it gets for anyone.