Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Hoi Polloi (In Color?)

Offline archiezappa

I've recently starting collecting the DVD's that feature the Three Stooges short subjects colorized.  Granted, when they started releasing these, about 8 or so years ago, I was appalled.  I really wanted to see all the shorts remastered in black & white.  Well, now that we have that, I got curious about the colorized ones. 

I bought "The Three Stooges In Color" from Legend Films.  Pretty good program, especially the wraparounds from Mike Nelson & the gang.  They are hilarious, anyway.  They are also huge fans of the Stooges.  Interesting seeing those four shorts (Disorder/Sixpants/Malice/Brideless) in color. 

I also got "Goofs On The Loose."  It's got four more shorts on it.  Again, very interesting.

I've found these "alternate versions" of the Stooges something to check out, anyway.  However...

Yes, I found a major discrepancy.  As a bonus feature on "Goofs On The Loose," they show some people working on colorizing the short "Hoi Polloi."  Also, on "The Three Stooges Meet Hercules," they have a commercial for the Three Stooges in color and show many colorized scenes from "Hoi Polloi."  But I've went through all 5 of the colorized DVD's that are available and I don't see "Hoi Polloi" anywhere.  Seems like a ripoff to me, but can anyone enlighten me on this? 

Offline locoboymakesgood

As silly as it may sound, it's a bonus feature on the Jamie Foxx movie "Breakin' All the Rules" released in 2004.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004WLTP/ref=assoc_qcb_im

The filmography on ThreeStooges.net shows it as well if you look under Videography for the short.

http://threestooges.net/filmography/episode/10

Or, if you're just curious to see what it looks like, someone put it on YouTube in 2 parts.

"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline archiezappa

Thanks for the info.  It seems that Columbia was still using the Stooges as a draw to get people to buy movies that they, otherwise, would not have been remotely interested in.