Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

THE THREE STOOGES (2012) DVD/Blu Ray, July 17

Offline falsealarms

A sad commentary -

LOS ANGELES, July 26 (UPI) -- The Farrelly Brothers' version of "The Three Stooges" is the top-selling DVD and Blu-ray in the United States, Rentrak reported Thursday.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/Movies/2012/07/26/Three-Stooges-tops-DVD-sales-chart/UPI-43111343333611/#ixzz223A7iGsC

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!

Offline Shemp_Diesel

A sad commentary -

LOS ANGELES, July 26 (UPI) -- The Farrelly Brothers' version of "The Three Stooges" is the top-selling DVD and Blu-ray in the United States, Rentrak reported Thursday.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/Movies/2012/07/26/Three-Stooges-tops-DVD-sales-chart/UPI-43111343333611/#ixzz223A7iGsC

Oh dear god... 
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I guess that means the movie was a success. :-\

How is a movie that had tepid box office and was rushed out to home video a success? They struck while the iron was hot and I don't blame them. The numbers are probably from the people who liked the movie and I expect them to drop. In order for the movie to be financially successful at this point it would have to make nearly as much in home video as they did in box office and I don't see that happening.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline stooge1029

Anyone think it was weird that the movie has the Stooges raised in a Catholic Orphanage when all three are Jewish?

xraffle

How is a movie that had tepid box office and was rushed out to home video a success? They struck while the iron was hot and I don't blame them. The numbers are probably from the people who liked the movie and I expect them to drop. In order for the movie to be financially successful at this point it would have to make nearly as much in home video as they did in box office and I don't see that happening.

Beats me. I can't seem to figure out how this kind of movie ended up as #1 best seller. Even if there were people that liked the movie, it's still shocking that the DVD sales were high. I didn't think that many people liked it. I figured it was just a small minority.

Offline locoboymakesgood

No other high profile releases came out the week it did. Makes sense to me. There was nothing else to outsell it.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline Sean Ferguson

Please take a look at my Blu-ray review of The Three Stooges: The Movie here: LINK REMOVED

Thanks!

I thought we went over this issue before; you do not need to constantly plug your blog. Now I'm putting you in time out. S#1
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:39:06 PM by shemps#1 »

Offline Jake Howard

From the 3 Stooges Facebook Page:

Ssssh! Rumor has it that C3 is beginning work on The Next Three Stooges Movie. What do you think the story should be in the next chapter of the great Three Stooges legacy?

::)

xraffle

What did I tell ya? I knew this would happen. Since many people here supported the movie by either paying to see it or by buying or renting the DVD/Blu-ray, C3 now wants to work on another movie.

Offline luke795

Ssssh! Rumor has it that C3 is beginning work on The Next Three Stooges Movie. What do you think the story should be in the next chapter of the great Three Stooges legacy?

The next movie will probably be with Shemp.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
What did I tell ya? I knew this would happen. Since many people here supported the movie by either paying to see it or by buying or renting the DVD/Blu-ray, C3 now wants to work on another movie.

You seemed to have convinced yourself that this movie was a smash hit when it fact it was anything but. Going back to an earlier post from Brent and using the worldwide total of roughly $44.3 million box office* as well as factoring in the $30 million budget and extra for marketing it barely broke even at best. You are also overly impressed with the home video list; just because it was #1 doesn't mean millions have flown off the shelves. Do you see any concrete sales numbers? No, you are looking at "#1" and imagining untold millions of copies being sold. The fact of the matter is during the summer months people are more likely to go to the movies (look at the unsightly numbers Avengers and Dark Knight Rises have put up) than they are to purchase a movie on Blu-Ray/DVD. The weather is nice and many people have more free time on their hands so they don't feel like staying at home. When The Avengers comes out soon I imagine it will blow away the home video numbers the Faux Stooges have put up and will put up overall in its first week.

C3 wants to make a sequel, so what? That doesn't mean Fox wants to. Let's say there is a sequel made; I can tell you a few things that will happen using common logic.

1. The budget for the sequel will be smaller than this one because of the tepid at best box office.

2. It would also get much less penetration (i.e. screens showing it).

3. Likewise, the marketing budget will be much lower.

4. Purely speculation, but I wouldn't rule out a straight to home video release.

What I have learned through this whole ordeal is this: at the end of the day it's not worth getting upset over. Yes, the Three Stooges intellectual properties are owned by a bunch of salad tossing attorneys named Benjamin and that sucks, but there is nothing that can be done about it. If they wanted to make The Three Stooges Do Debbie in Dallas they are within their rights legally. As long as we know that these are not the real Three Stooges and has nothing to do with them all the while preserving the legacy of the true talents who actually were Three Stooges (well the true talents and Joe Derita, suck it E&B!) for future generations, than there is nothing the Benjamin's, Farrelly's, or the no talents like Will Sasso can do to hurt it.

*Also keep in mind that of that total the foreign market accounts for under $1.9 million, which is downright anemic in this day and age.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline ProfessorStooge

I would also like to see Shemp in the sequel. Casting his role will be a challenge.

Offline stoogerascalfan62

I once had the DVD, but have since donated it to the local library.

Offline Mark The Shark

I picked up the DVD some time ago and watched it, I think just once.

It was OK. Not great. I was expecting to hate it, but I didn't hate it. I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it.

As was mentioned earlier in this thread though, this is not a Three Stooges film in the sense of "a film with the real Three Stooges in it." This film is to the Three Stooges what For Love Or Mummy is to Laurel and Hardy, i.e. a tribute or homage, or ripoff if you prefer.

Two things that stand out for me -- it's been quite some time since I watched it -- first, after watching it for a while, the thought crossed my mind that instead of watching this, I could just watch the real Three Stooges.

The second thing -- if you make it all the way through the end, maybe it's just me but I laughed out loud at the performance of the Spinners' "It's A Shame" with the Curly character doing the high falsetto part. It was worth watching for that alone.

It was fun, nothing great. I kind of liked the idea of the Moe character being on Jersey Shore (even though I've never watched Jersey Shore myself).

This movie's existence doesn't threaten the legacy of the "real" Stooges. The 190 shorts (and more) are safe and sound on my shelf, available to be watched any time.