Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

THE THREE STOOGES (2012) DVD/Blu Ray, July 17

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I never said that. I said that it is not the type of humor found in any of the stooges shorts. When I watch a Three Stooges movie, I want it to replicate the type of humor that the real stooges had.

I watch many movies/TV shows that have toilet and religious humor. But I watch those movies and TV shows for that reason. I watch classic shows and films like the stooges, the Marx Brothers, etc. because it's also nice to see a different side of comedy. I find a bit disrespectful to our boys because the Farrelly brothers are using a type of comedy that's not associated with the stooges. I know other people here have expressed this concern during The Master Debates and I agree wholeheartedly. Yes, the stooges were from a different time and if they were from this time and did indeed have toilet & religious humor in their shorts, then in that case, I can understand the Farrelly brothers adding that into the movie. But the thing is, the stooges are classic comedy and classic comedy is good in its own way. Seeing a nun in a bikini would be hilarious if I were watching a movie like "Dumb and Dumber." But when seeing it in a Three Stooges movie, it just looks off.

Perhaps I should really see it first before making any judgments. Even though most people agree that it's bad, I really think it's only fair that I see it before criticizing the film. But my comment about not paying to see it still stands.

There's your problem, well two of them anyway. Firstly, this is not a "Three Stooges movie" in any sense of the phrase and therein lies the main crux of the problem. The marketing ploy did work a bit as some people actually look at it as a work of the actual Stooges (including that guy on that blu-ray.com thread who dared rank it among the true Stooges actual work...I'm "Scowl" in that thread in case you didn't figure it out). It's not the Three Stooges, not a Howard nor a Fine nor even a Besser or Derita touched this film seeing as though all of them are long since dead. So get that out of your head.

Secondly, yeah you really should watch it before criticizing it by this point. Now that False has seen it I'm pretty sure you are the only one who hasn't seen it. There are ways to watch it free, and now in blu-ray quality no less.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

xraffle

There are ways to watch it free, and now in blu-ray quality no less.

I saw a couple of sites where I can stream it for free, but the audio is extremely out of sync and is unwatchable. If I see a better quality video available to stream, I'll watch it.

And the Blu-ray is $22.99 when I saw it at the store. Maybe if I see a copy at the store for $5 (DVD or Blu-ray), I may just buy it to see it. But I will not pay more than that. The reviews I've all read are negative, so I'm in no hurry to watch it. I'll patiently wait.

And yes, I know this is not a "Three Stooges" movie and that's why I'm not in favor of the film. But the thing is, the Farrelly brothers are using The Three Stooges' names to promote this film. I like comedians like Jim Carrey. In fact, he's my one of my favorites. But using Jim Carrey-like comedy in a movie and slapping on "The Three Stooges" in the title and naming the characters Moe, Larry and Curly, it's just not right, in my opinion. Like Curly4444 said, he may enjoy it because he likes toilet and religious humor. But he likes it because of that reason and that reason only. I doubt he will enjoy it because it was a true replication of "The Three Stooges."

Offline locoboymakesgood

There is absolutely nothing in that movie that is "Jim Carrey-like humor". In fact I'd go as far to say if I didn't know the Farrally's were involved with this movie, I wouldn't have thought they had anything to do with it.

The toilet humor is minimal and sure, they're raised in a Catholic orphanage, but there's no uncomfortable religious undertones.

I won't sit here and defend the movie, but don't go out and start blasting it and writing it off while being misinformed.

You said all of the reviews you read were negative, which is fine, but there are positive ones out there. It wouldn't be at 51% at Rotten Tomates if it was all negative.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1205530-three_stooges/

You're still the only one of the few here who hasn't seen it, even though most of us said we never would, so there's that. You have bragging rights. But don't assume this is some Jim Carrey, Farrally-filled joke-ridden piece of celluloid when it's really not.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

xraffle

You're still the only one of the few here who hasn't seen it, even though most of us said we never would, so there's that. You have bragging rights. But don't assume this is some Jim Carrey, Farrally-filled joke-ridden piece of celluloid when it's really not.

Yeah, that's the issue. When I first heard about it, I was like, ok, let's see what this movie is going to be like. However, before this movie was even made, everyone here was expressing their hate for it and vowed to never see ever. I finally saw the light and came to an agreement with all of you. Now that the project is finished and the DVD & Blu-ray are out, people here are suddenly telling me that I need to see it and it's at the point where I'm the only one here who hasn't seen it. I'm just a bit confused about where all of us fans stand.

And I don't know, from watching the trailers, it certainly does look like some "Jim Carrey, Farrally-filled joke-ridden piece of celluloid." I definitely could be wrong, but I'm just saying that from seeing the trailer, that's the impression I got.

Offline Shemp_Diesel

You're not the only one who hasn't seen it. My stance has been that I would never pay to see it in the theaters or pay for the dvd. Maybe if it runs on free television I'll give it a look, but my expectations won't be too high. I have no interest in watching three guys pretend to be the three stooges, whether it's the Farrelly Bros. movie or that awful made for tv movie that came out back in 2000. As long as I have the Columbia 190, I'll be content with the real Three Stooges. Just my $0.02...
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I saw a couple of sites where I can stream it for free, but the audio is extremely out of sync and is unwatchable. If I see a better quality video available to stream, I'll watch it.

And the Blu-ray is $22.99 when I saw it at the store. Maybe if I see a copy at the store for $5 (DVD or Blu-ray), I may just buy it to see it. But I will not pay more than that. The reviews I've all read are negative, so I'm in no hurry to watch it. I'll patiently wait.

And yes, I know this is not a "Three Stooges" movie and that's why I'm not in favor of the film. But the thing is, the Farrelly brothers are using The Three Stooges' names to promote this film. I like comedians like Jim Carrey. In fact, he's my one of my favorites. But using Jim Carrey-like comedy in a movie and slapping on "The Three Stooges" in the title and naming the characters Moe, Larry and Curly, it's just not right, in my opinion. Like Curly4444 said, he may enjoy it because he likes toilet and religious humor. But he likes it because of that reason and that reason only. I doubt he will enjoy it because it was a true replication of "The Three Stooges."

There are other avenues besides streaming to acquire a BD quality copy of the movie. As an Admin representing this site I cannot condone piracy, but I'm just letting you know that free BD quality copies are out there. What you decide to do with that information on your own is your decision to make. Oh, and despite the conclusions of a certain dim-witted member of the blu-ray.com forums, I hope you don't actually think I have been "scolding" you or that you are in any danger of being banned from here.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
You're not the only one who hasn't seen it. My stance has been that I would never pay to see it in the theaters or pay for the dvd. Maybe if it runs on free television I'll give it a look, but my expectations won't be too high. I have no interest in watching three guys pretend to be the three stooges, whether it's the Farrelly Bros. movie or that awful made for tv movie that came out back in 2000. As long as I have the Columbia 190, I'll be content with the real Three Stooges. Just my $0.02...

I applaud you (and X) for actually standing by your convictions and not spending money on the film (I wish I had done the same in hindsight).

xraffle

Oh, and despite the conclusions of a certain dim-witted member of the blu-ray.com forums, I hope you don't actually think I have been "scolding" you or that you are in any danger of being banned from here.

I saw that and no, I don't think that. People on Blu-ray.com are too much sometimes. Its one of reasons why I just lurk around there and rarely post.

xraffle

The toilet humor is minimal and sure, they're raised in a Catholic orphanage, but there's no uncomfortable religious undertones.

I decided to google a little bit on this and interestingly enough, I found this:
http://news.moviefone.com/2012/04/12/the-three-stooges-catholic-league-nun-bikini_n_1421937.html

Looks like this movie has angered Catholics, LOL! I didn't even know about this. Now, I should definitely see this movie.  ;D

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I saw that and no, I don't think that. People on Blu-ray.com are too much sometimes. Its one of reasons why I just lurk around there and rarely post.

Good; people like you, Diesel, Bill, Quad 4's etc. should have no fear of banishment from here lest you do something absolutely heinous and despicable that my hand is forced (and I don't think for a second any of you would). As I see it people who have been here for awhile and been active members of the community shouldn't live in fear of being banned. Contrary to popular opinion telling someone "hey, you're not welcome here" is not something I take pleasure in and I would love it if everyone knew how to conduct themselves. If that were the way of the land around here Doug and I wouldn't be needed as admin.

To paraphrase many a school teacher: I don't ban anyone, they get themselves banned.

Offline archiezappa

Perhaps I should really see it first before making any judgments. Even though most people agree that it's bad, I really think it's only fair that I see it before criticizing the film. But my comment about not paying to see it still stands.

Yes, you do need to see it before you criticize it.  This movie has been getting bad reviews for many years before it was released.  See it for yourself.  I really went to see this movie with an open mind.  Just remember that it's supposed to be funny.  It's a clean movie.  My kids saw it, too.  As far as I can tell, it's pretty much not offensive.

I'll admit (and feel free to question me, if you wish) that I'm one of the few who actually likes this movie.  The reason being that it brought old-time slapstick comedy back to theaters.  And it's basically a clean movie, one that I'm not embarrassed to show for my kids, who are also fans of the Three Stooges.

The movie is not just like the originals.  If you want to see the original Stooges, you know where to look.  As far as I'm concerned, it's a fairly decent tribute to them.

(I guess I'm gonna get some hate mail, now... :-\ )

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Yes, you do need to see it before you criticize it.  This movie has been getting bad reviews for many years before it was released.  See it for yourself.  I really went to see this movie with an open mind.  Just remember that it's supposed to be funny.  It's a clean movie.  My kids saw it, too.  As far as I can tell, it's pretty much not offensive.

I'll admit (and feel free to question me, if you wish) that I'm one of the few who actually likes this movie.  The reason being that it brought old-time slapstick comedy back to theaters.  And it's basically a clean movie, one that I'm not embarrassed to show for my kids, who are also fans of the Three Stooges.

The movie is not just like the originals.  If you want to see the original Stooges, you know where to look.  As far as I'm concerned, it's a fairly decent tribute to them.

(I guess I'm gonna get some hate mail, now... :-\ )

Nah we'll just burn you at the stake: gives more dramatic flair than hate mail.

Offline archiezappa

Nah we'll just burn you at the stake: gives more dramatic flair than hate mail.

Oh well.  A hot steak is better than a cold chop!

Offline archiezappa

I wonder if anyone said "Wow!  Curly looks good after all these years!  He gets around pretty good for his age.  How old is he?"

Moe:  "He's 108 years old, you dopes!"  *smack*

xraffle

Good; people like you, Diesel, Bill, Quad 4's etc. should have no fear of banishment from here lest you do something absolutely heinous and despicable that my hand is forced (and I don't think for a second any of you would). As I see it people who have been here for awhile and been active members of the community shouldn't live in fear of being banned. Contrary to popular opinion telling someone "hey, you're not welcome here" is not something I take pleasure in and I would love it if everyone knew how to conduct themselves. If that were the way of the land around here Doug and I wouldn't be needed as admin.

To paraphrase many a school teacher: I don't ban anyone, they get themselves banned.

Even though we may never be in total agreement with each other in our discussions, I would never call it an argument or scolding. We simply disagree with each others’ opinion on a topic. There’s nothing wrong with that. As long as it remains civilized (which it has), then I see no problem with it.

I think that is where the mistake is. People assume disagreement = scolding & arguing.  And scolding and arguing leads to banishment. That’s not the case. Whenever someone gets banned by you or another moderator, it’s because they flipped out, cursed, or blatantly disrespected a moderator. It is not because of their opinion.

Disagreement is not bad thing. It’s when people end their disagreements with a disrespectful comment to a moderator. They don’t stick to the topic. They name call and give an attitude. That is what leads them to be banned. If a person says to a moderator, “You’re an idiot if you don’t like the Three Stooges movie.” Then they’ll get banned for calling the moderator an idiot, not because they like the Stooges movie.

Offline archiezappa

Even though we may never be in total agreement with each other in our discussions, I would never call it an argument or scolding. We simply disagree with each others’ opinion on a topic. There’s nothing wrong with that. As long as it remains civilized (which it has), then I see no problem with it.

I think that is where the mistake is. People assume disagreement = scolding & arguing.  And scolding and arguing leads to banishment. That’s not the case. Whenever someone gets banned by you or another moderator, it’s because they flipped out, cursed, or blatantly disrespected a moderator. It is not because of their opinion.

Disagreement is not bad thing. It’s when people end their disagreements with a disrespectful comment to a moderator. They don’t stick to the topic. They name call and give an attitude. That is what leads them to be banned. If a person says to a moderator, “You’re an idiot if you don’t like the Three Stooges movie.” Then they’ll get banned for calling the moderator an idiot, not because they like the Stooges movie.

Yes, I totally agree.  I just want to say that I'm glad the moderators keep all the riff-raff off of this board.  I wish more boards were moderated as well as this one is.  Thanks, moderators!

Offline Curly4444

I dont think calling a moderator a idiot, would get you banned? I think it would take a bit more than that?

xraffle

I dont think calling a moderator a idiot, would get you banned? I think it would take a bit more than that?

I know. I was just using a light example. All of the banned members here have done a lot worse.

Offline JazzBill

I finally watched the movie, I bought it at Walmart. I found it to be pretty lame. The few times I did laugh were the scenes that had Larry David in. Other than that it was nothing more than a bunch of remade Stooge bits. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a 3. 
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
The neighbors invited me over to watch on their PPV.  Their dime, not mine.

One chuckle for the salmon farm scene, and that's it.  The rest of it was the abomination I predicted.  90 minutes wasted that I can't get back.

xraffle

I may rent this using Amazon Instant Video or iTunes for $3.99 when I have the chance. Since I'm the only one that hasn't seen it, I guess I'm left with no choice but to fork over a few bucks to see it and at least, give the movie a fair chance. I honestly don't know how to obtain this movie for free other than borrowing it from a friend or streaming it online. But I can't find any place to stream it online for free and none of my friends own this movie nor are they interested in seeing it.

Offline Bum

I still haven't seen it, and am in no major hurry to do so. Eventually, I will when the price is right [aka "free"]

Offline Curly4444

I may rent this using Amazon Instant Video or iTunes for $3.99 when I have the chance. Since I'm the only one that hasn't seen it, I guess I'm left with no choice but to fork over a few bucks to see it and at least, give the movie a fair chance. I honestly don't know how to obtain this movie for free other than borrowing it from a friend or streaming it online. But I can't find any place to stream it online for free and none of my friends own this movie nor are they interested in seeing it.

No local library where you can rent it free?

xraffle

Well, it looks like I didn’t have to pay to see this after all. I was able to watch it for free. I watched it when I got home from work today and now, I think you guys will be sorry that you told me to watch it as my opinion of it is worse than it was before. The movie was worse than I expected and not because I dislike toilet or religious humor. I’ll give a detailed explanation of why I found this movie abysmal.

First, the opening scene with stooges as kids doesn’t work. Now only did the kids do a poor acting job, but the whole scene was a bore. Which stooge are we going to adopt? Let’s adopt Moe! Oh wait, Moe wants to be with Curly and Larry! Let send him back and take another kid. Now Moe is sad and is about to cry. Wow, what a waste of 10 minutes! Second, babies peeing on the stooges?? Are you kidding me? I assume this is a variation of the seltzer bottle fights that the stooges have in their shorts? If so, then sorry, that just doesn’t work. Third, after a while, the three actors’ impersonations get irritating. Will Sasso’s imitation of Curly’s high pitched voice was very irritable and it just got to me when I was 30 minutes into the movie. However, I commend him for his effort because it does look like he did his best. Fourth, the movie is borrriiiing. The whole beginning scene in the orphanage and the hospital scene where they dress like women are two examples. They were just a drag to watch. I didn't find it funny at all. Fifth, the modern jokes, such as the iPhone and Pepto Bismol jokes, just don’t work. Perhaps those are something the real stooges would say had they been from this time. But for some reason, it just feels out of place in this film. Sixth, what’s with Moe and Curly & Larry hurting each others’ feelings and separating?? Again, it just doesn’t fit into a stooge film. I can't picture this happening with the real stooges. And finally, I found the whole saving the orphanage plot kind of lame. I'm sure some would argue that it's a touching storyline. But I, personally, didn't care for it.

I’m sorry, but I gave this movie a fair chance and wasted 90 minutes of my life to watch it. I expected the movie to be bad, but I didn’t expect it to be this bad. This movie is wrong on all counts. The story was bad, the acting was bad, and the impersonations were bad. The only part I somewhat enjoyed was the part where they were fixing the bell. Other than that, this movie was just a big bore and just found myself looking at my watch to see when the 90 minutes will be up. While many of us agree that creating a stooge film with new actors is a bad idea, I honestly think this movie could've been better. Like I said, it was worse than I expected. The problem is, the Farrelly Brothers took a risk in making a stooge movie and adding some unstooge-like changes (such as the babies peeing on the stooges, the lobster in the pants, the stooges trying to kill a man to save an orphanage, Moe and Larry & Curly hurting each others' feelings and breaking up, etc.), but they failed. They really should've tried staying as close to the real stooges as possible and maybe, just maybe, I would've liked this movie a little better. And the selection of actors could've been better too.

This is all my opinion, of course. Based on a couple of posts here and from reading the blu-ray.com thread, there are people out there that actually enjoyed it. That’s fine. But I, personally, don’t like this film at all.

Offline falsealarms

The best thing to do after watching this movie is what I did - pop up a few original shorts and you'll appreciate them all the more.