Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

CASABLANCA returns to theatres

Offline falsealarms

CASABLANCA, which was originally released 70 years ago, is returning to theaters. It was brought back to select nationwide theaters last month, but is back by popular demand.

I've actually never seen this movie, which some consider the greatest American film. But seeing Bogie on the big screen is tempting. I've probably seen about 8 of his other films on DVD, ones like KID GALAHAD, SAN QUENTIN, and INVISIBLE STRIPES.

Did anyone here go to a showing last month?

For participating theaters and tickets, go to: http://www.fathomevents.com/classics/event/casablancaencore.aspx

TCM PRESENTS CASABLANCA 70TH ANNIVERSARY ENCORE

Back by popular demand, NCM Fathom, Turner Classic Movies, and Warner Bros. bring Casablanca back to select movie theaters nationwide for a final one night showing on Thursday, April 26th at 7:00 p.m. (local time) for the 70th Anniversary Encore Event!

The event begins with Turner Classic Movies host Robert Osborne taking audiences behind the scenes of this epic love story in a special original production showcasing stories from those who were on set and those who simply admire this timeless classic. Then immediately following this special introduction audiences will be able to see Casablanca grace the silver screen.

Visit the Casablanca Date Night Guide to help couples, friends and groups young and old plan a special night to experience Casablanca and share in the romance that only the silver screen can provide.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I didn't see Casablanca but I saw the first Boondock Saints when Fathom Events re-released it for its 10th anniversary back in 2010.

They're digital projections, which I understand is the wave of the future now, but it doesn't do it for me. If I'm going to see an older film in theaters (which I've done plenty of times), I want to see it the way it was originally shown in theaters.

Since Fathom Events are at theaters nationwide it feeds off of a satellite. I remember the DirectTV logo when the channel it was going to air on was started.

When I still lived in New York the theater that had Stooge Festivals every year transitioned from original 35mm prints to DVD projections. That killed it for me -- I stopped going. Their rationale was that was too tiresome to find original prints. I can understand, the average-going public doesn't care about that kind of stuff.

These Fathom Events tend to be more expensive than traditional film-going experiences, too. I paid $15.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline metaldams

I've never seen CASABLANCA on the big screen, but several times on the small screen, it's a great movie, and in all seriousness, a good movie to play for a girlfriend if you want to show her an old movie.  Truly a movie with wide appeal from my experiences.  Just don't admit afterwards you were able to identify Evan Stone dressed up as Larry on a Three Stooges message board and you will probably have a good night.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Giff me dat fill-em!

• Oh, Vici Kid!
  • Team Stooge
  • Bunionhead
  • Vici Kid
Have a goodnight anyway, Metaldams, ... as for me, I'll be searching for the "Moe & Curly" names on the dreaded nightmare movie poster for you ...  pleasant dreams? ... (creaking door slamming shut)
The tacks won't come out! Well, they went in ... maybe they're income tacks.

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!

Offline falsealarms

I want tickets.  Badly.

Not playing around you, I assume? Luckily, I have one option about a 20 minute drive away.

Offline Liz

• Donald O'Connor's and Gene Kelly's #1 Fan
  • Puddinhead
    • The Psycho Ward's Classic Film Reviews - Request a film to be reviewed!
Not playing around you, I assume? Luckily, I have one option about a 20 minute drive away.
Actually, no, I just bought tickets for a theater a couple minutes away by trolley. ^_^
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'd go but at $12 a pop and considering I have it on Blu-Ray I'll pass.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

The one in Delaware is in the Brandywine Town Center, which is literally in the same building I work.  I'll have to go.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline locoboymakesgood

I want tickets.  Badly.
Do you have any of the chain theaters around you? It should be playing in all participating theaters, which would be anything under the AMC, Regal, or Cinemark umbrella.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline falsealarms

Do you have any of the chain theaters around you? It should be playing in all participating theaters, which would be anything under the AMC, Regal, or Cinemark umbrella.

She later posted she found tickets :)

But not many theatres are showing this. Only a couple dozen in the entire state of NY, for instance.