Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

2012 THREE STOOGES MOVIE REVIEWS

Guest · 96 · 24770

stooged and confused

The old saying that curiosity killed the cat certainly did me in tonight. I killed an evening at the updated "Stooges" movie.

It was HORRIBLE! I really wanted to like it in a strange kind of way for the sake of the original greats that we love so much. I really wanted it to draw a new generation to the originals--I just knew it wouldn't-- and it won't! With rare exception, kids just won't give black and white any consideration. Plus, the kids who were in attendance rarely laughed. It was a weird audience made up of men, fathers and their kids, and traditional families. There was one hottie who was dragged by her boyfriend and she just wanted to kill him at the end for making her sit through it all. You can bet he won't be getting any tonight--or for quite awhile from the look on her face as they exited! The older men laughed the most--very surprising as they should have been the most familiar with the original Stooges and realized that this was more than a weak substitute.

The fact that Entertainment Weekly gave this an A- proves that these reviewers are on the take.

The first trailer was awful and it showed in the film. Several more creative trailers followed- like the "Stoogesta" medical parody, which was funnier than anything contained in the actual movie.

The entire orphanage back drop was unneeded and unfunny...and after a few minutes, the whole Larry David bit wore out what very little welcome it brought.

Jane Lynch was wasted and they gave her absolutely NOTHING to do!

This was like a bad made-for-TV movie and is every bit as terrible as The Little Rascals deal from the 90s. It was sloppily made, cut and staged. In fact, there was one scene with "Moe" and "Larry" fixing the bell tower. This movie was filmed in Atlanta during the hot summer and the actor playing "Moe" was sweating down his neck like crazy and it showed on the screen.

The three split up segments were pointless because they were all tied together anyway. Even the titles were weak...."No Moe Mister Nice Guy." Really? That's the best die hard Stooge fans could come up with?

Splitting Moe from the others during the last"act' was a colossal mistake--something the Farrelly's should have known, being die hard fans.

The actors did passable impersonations, but I never thought that they were the "Stooges." Sasso's "Curly" was, by far, the weakest of the three, yet another major misfire of the movie, because Curly was supposed to be the heart of the team. His voice didn't come close to matching the sing-song octave of Curly Howard's. Additionally, his Curly ( and I have a hard time saying that because he WASN'T Curly) had none of the grace, charm and warmth of Jerome's portrayal.  Seeing as the Farrelly's hold the Stooges in such high esteem, why did they make the blunder of making Moe such a softie and showing his sensitive side so often? The brothers Farrelly couldn't decide who their audience should be--kids or nostalgic baby boomers. They decided to try for both and missed the target on all sides. The impressions were forced and it showed. The actors tried too hard to be Howard, Fine and Howard. Like an Olympic athlete, the original Stooges made it seem effortless, and that was the beauty of their talent. From the very beginning, this was doomed to fail, as you simply cannot take three strangers, plop a hair piece on them, make them watch hours of original shorts, study their moves and expect them to become the Three Stooges. We all know that the real Stooges perfected their timing and craft on stage and had a BOND! They came up through the muck and meier together and honed their skills.

The pissing babies and the whole Jersey Shore thing was so un-Stooge like. Not to mention, by the time this mess finally made it to theatres, the bloom was off the rose for the reality trolls and it was already dated in itself. The Farrelly's created perhaps their biggest blunder in the movie by putting Moe in with these mooks. In a Stooges film, nobody should be dumber or more lowbrow than the Stooges. By placing Jersey Shore on the same playing field as a stooge, Moe is no longer the biggest dim wit in the room. This is the movie's biggest misstep! Seltzer bottles are too old school for today's elevated comedy taste, I guess. God help us!

I don't know, maybe because it was in color, but the buzz saw to Curly's noggin wasn't even remotely funny like in the real Stooges comedies. Nah, it was Sasso's reaction not selling the bit that is to blame. Seeing as this was in present day, why were the Stooges dressed from the 30s? And why were their overalls always looking like they just came back freshly pressed from the dry cleaner? If that was what the Farrelly's wanted, then they should have dropped the orphanage plot and employed the Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure premise instead. The iphone gag was pointless on two counts: first, just because you live in an orphanage, doesn't mean you're completely cut off from the world--they would have at least seen ads on TV. It is the present day, after all. They most likely had a TV somewhere on the premises. Plus, when Sasso as Curly looks into the thing, he says, "there's nobody there." Not that this would have made the unfunny gag much better, but he should have said, "I don't SEE anybody." Just another sloppy example of how weak the script is. That, and in twenty five years, none of the nuns aged one bit!

The pacing was off, the plot was dull, the gags weren't staged right and there were too many characters who did and contributed nothing to pad it out to 92 minutes. None of the character actors had a smidgen of what the Columbia stock players brought to the table.

As for the Farrelly's, I never cared for any of their movies...Dumb and Dumber was Stooge like, I guess, but the slapstick was too mean spirited to be funny for me. There's Something About Mary left me cold. I never saw any of their other movies.

For people who say they love the Stooges as much as they do, this was a massive failure and I suspect they used this whole project as a spring board to announce that they are making Dumb and Dumber II with the original cast...something they conveniently mentioned throughout the premiere footage I saw for the Stooges movie.

The last bit at the end with two actors pretending to be the Farrelly's was perhaps the strangest thing of this entire fiasco. I could just see some Fox suit lawyer telling them that if any kid got hurt from doing any of the Stooges bits, you'll have to put a warning in as some sort of a safety clause. The PC police strikes again. That's reason enough to have left the Stooges alone and drop the entire idea of this movie. The Farrelly's figured that if they have to give in and do it, then let's at least do it in a "funny" way. I don't think these guys would know funny if it bit them in the ass!

The shorts were the best gift the real Stooges ever got, even though they didn't know it. Nobody watches the Three Stooges for major plot or story lines. They were live action cartoons and 16-18 minutes per episode was just right. It's the main reason why the Stooges endure today, while most other comedians from the past are barely known in current times. The Stooges are one of the very few products from the 30s that receive any regular air time on modern television schedules! I would suspect if they had made features on a regular basis, as Moe would have wanted, even with a prime Curly, they would not have earned the pop culture status they now have. Look what happened to Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello and The Marx Brothers.

To wrap up, the Farrelly's claim they made this movie because they felt the Stooges were "going away." Hmmm---all 190 shorts were recently issued on DVD and sold better than expected. Film festivals still pop up all over the nation, and major markets still show them on TV. They are also on cable outlets like AMC, IFC and Antenna TV. So, where are they going away to, exactly? I think the Farrelly's wanted to use the Stooges brand in hopes that it would be the life preserver for their ever sinking careers. This project is their Titanic, and I'm not referring to the James Cameron movie (which I also have issues with).

Fox should be sued for false advertising because this "new" movie is NOT The Three Stooges! It should be re-titled The Three Phoneys!

Like one of those stuffy society dames said from the Stooges shorts of yore, "What's the meaning of this?" That's what I'd like to know, toots!

One last thing...FUCK YOU FARRELLY BROTHERS!

P.S..FUCK YOU TOO, C3!

Offline FineBari3

The old saying that curiosity killed the cat certainly did me in tonight. I killed an evening at the updated "Stooges" movie.

It was HORRIBLE!

Thank you for that detailed revue!  That was one of the best I have read so far, and you aren't a real film critic!  (I especially loved the very last part, which I didn't quote!)
Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Friday Estimates are in:

Hunger Games - $6.45 million
Three Stooges - $5.625 million
Cabin In The Woods - $5.5 million

I should also put the per screen average because Cabin is in fewer theaters:

Cabin In The Woods - 2,811/$1,957
Hunger Games - 3,916/$1,647
Three Stooges - 3,477/$1,618
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline jjknap

I just took my 12 year old son to see the movie.  The theater was full and most everyone was laughing aloud throughout, including me.  I reall enjoyed it and I consider myself a Stooge fan.  I am glad I didn't listen to some of the negative reviews on this site.  I think the boys would be proud.

Offline Curly4444

I just took my 12 year old son to see the movie.  The theater was full and most everyone was laughing aloud throughout, including me.  I reall enjoyed it and I consider myself a Stooge fan.  I am glad I didn't listen to some of the negative reviews on this site.  I think the boys would be proud.

Were you sober?  ;D [pie]

Offline vomit

A friend just saw it with his kids (age 8 & 5) and he said it was enjoyable.  Kids liked it.  He was indifferent....but he noted "NO Shemp....NOT the Three Stooges!"  Probably gonna wait for the DVD. 
Specto Caelum!

Offline ThunderStooge

Okay, I'll admit I kind of liked the Salmon Farm clip.
"Wake up and Go ta sleep!"

Offline falsealarms

An endorsement from the grave?

Diamantopoulos cites an interview Moe Howard did in 1966 in which he said "it would be great to find three young guys, teach them the moves and the timing, and have them keep it going. That's an endorsement from the grave, essentially, as far as I'm concerned," Diamantopoulos said. (http://www2.timesdispatch.com/entertainment/2012/apr/15/moe-stooges-farrellys-resurrect-the-knuckleheads-ar-1838534/)

(it was this 1966 article being cited - http://www.stripes.com/news/an-interview-with-moe-howard-of-the-three-stooges-1.7526)

Offline QuinceHead

Hey everyone,

I saw the movie on Saturday afternoon, and I didn't think it was half-bad!  Certainly not the trainwreck I was expecting/dreading.

I can see where some people will be utterly disappointed in it, but I found it surprisingly... reverent for a Farrelly Brothers movie!

Unlike other posters, I thought the three leads did credible jobs as Moe, Larry and Curly, and I had a good time spotting all the "routines" that appeared throughout, occasionally with some updates (like "say a few parables!" instead of "say a few syllables!", and so on).

Also, for those complaining about the schmaltz -- more than a few Stooge shorts had the boys helping out an orphanage or someone down on their luck, so I didn't mind this overly.

But I'm still puzzled that the movie didn't end with a huge pie fight -- there certainly seemed to be a setup for it!  [pie]

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka Quince Head

Offline jjknap

But I'm still puzzled that the movie didn't end with a huge pie fight -- there certainly seemed to be a setup for it!  [pie]

Yes, I assumed a pie fight would occur at the party in the third section, but that didn't happen  [pie]

Offline LoU fRoM pRiSoN

All I can say is: it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but was far from what I thought it could be.

I will be using "Hey, Jumbotron" and "There's talk of pizza" on the necessary occasions for the rest of my life.

I'd give it a C+

Offline Barry the Nomad

First time posting, but I have been lurking the forums reading up on news about the movie, so I figured I'd join and give my two cents:

I was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting much, but it turned out to be pretty good. First off, I'm a big fan of the franchise. I caught the classics all the time on TBS back in the '90's. For me, the film has plenty of fanservice. The classic-style title cards with the different theme songs were probably the greatest and ONLY way they could have kicked off the film. Wacky 3D letters and a rock n roll version of the theme song would have been awful.

When the Stooges are on screen, it's great. The mannerisms and voices are near perfect. That isn't to say they beat the real thing. Downsides would have to be some child actors, the period in the film in which the Stooges are separated and the first ten minutes in which the Stooges are played by kids. They do a decent job, but I wanted to see the adult actors. Also, I wasn't a fan of the gross out humor, but it's far tamer than other Farrelly brothers flicks.

Favorite bits: the bell tower repair scene, the whole hospital scene, this bit where that guy gets stuck in a street sweeper, the salmon farm, Larry David as a nun, Jersey Shore cast getting smacked around (hate them), the way the Stooges exited the film and the extended Stooge fight on a stage (very stripped down and felt very classic).

Overall, I'd give it a 7/10 as a fan of the old shorts. Compared to other similar comedies, like Dumb and Dumber, it's not as good. I'd say D&D and Kingpin are the Farrelly bros at their best. If one didn't like or didn't care about the Stooges, it would probably be a 5/10. Appreciation of the old routines really helps the film, IMO.

---

Really, I think it's good they made the movie. Even haters have to appreciate that it brings the franchise back into the spotlight. We get to see special Stooge displays at video stores highlighting the old releases and that complete DVD set due for release is sure to get more sales thanks to the movie.

I'd actually like to see more of Will, Chris and Sean as Stooges. Not a sequel, but it would be great if 20th Century Fox green lit a few 15 minute shorts that could be attached to upcoming PG-rated films from the studio.

Offline ProfessorStooge

As a fan of the Three Stooges since age 14, I had mixed feelings about this film. That all changed when I saw it. I felt that Peter and Bobby’s attempt at this film was well-executed. They did a great job staying true to the original material. All the classic sound effects, hilarious wordplay, and even their theme song, “Three Blind Mice”, were all intact. It definitely had the feel of the Stooges’ classic short subjects.

Although the Farrellys are known for using a lot of off-color humor, it is toned down to make the film more family-friendly. There are a few crude moments, such as the Stooges using infants as human squirt guns, and a scene of flatulence. This type of humor was not overemphasized, and I had high praise for that.

Finding the right actors to play the Stooges was a real challenge. The original choices were Sean Penn as Larry, Benicio del Toro as Moe, and Jim Carrey as Curly. All three dropped out for various reasons. In my opinion, they would not have made good Stooges. I don’t view Penn and del Toro as comedy material. Jim Carrey as Curly would seem just bizarre, despite his penchant for playing goofy characters. I believe the film would have failed if they tried to emulate the Stooges.

The film was recast with Sean Hayes (Will and Grace), Will Sasso (MADtv), and Chris Diamantopoulos (24) as Larry, Curly, and Moe, respectively. These three were excellent choices, and their portrayals of them were right on the money. Hayes did a great job as frizzy-haired and sour-faced Larry.  Sasso’s performance as Curly is not to be sneezed at, either. The physicality and high-pitched voice of just about everyone’s favorite Stooge were dead-on. Diamantopoulos had Moe’s signature scowl, quick temper, and voice right on target. He was definitely a shoe-in for the part. This casting decision was a smart move.

There were some funny moments that can be described as vintage Three Stooges. The comical names for the different offices are a good example. One big part of Stooge comedy was funny wordplay. The gag names are sure to make anyone laugh. The way they use the fire hose to get off a roof, and the salmon farming sequence also had me chuckling. These were perfect examples of the Stooges’ trademark ineptitude. I mean, who jumps off a roof while holding a hose instead of reeling it down, or waters a salmon like it's a plant? Only Larry, Moe, and Curly would.

To put it in a nutshell, The Three Stooges really captured the spirit of the old shorts. Slapstick comedy never seems to get old. If you’re a Stooges fan, or someone who likes physical comedy, then this “soitenly” is the film for you.

Offline locoboymakesgood

To those that saw it, I had read that the film was broken up in to 3 shorts. Did it have opening titles and short names? I'd be interested in seeing what the intros to the "shorts" looked like.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline jjknap

To those that saw it, I had read that the film was broken up in to 3 shorts. Did it have opening titles and short names? I'd be interested in seeing what the intros to the "shorts" looked like.

To the best of my memory, they were not exactly the same poses as the original titles, but they looked like they could have been.  They seemed to have the same styles.

Offline QuinceHead

And didn't each of the "shorts" introductions use different versions of the Stooges' themes from over the years?

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka Quince Head

Offline Larrington

...(snip)...
It was HORRIBLE!
...(snip)...
This was like a bad made-for-TV movie...
...(snip)...
One last thing...FUCK YOU FARRELLY BROTHERS!
P.S..FUCK YOU TOO, C3!

...But how do you really feel about it?    :o

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
First time posting, but I have been lurking the forums reading up on news about the movie, so I figured I'd join and give my two cents:

I was pleasantly surprised. I wasn't expecting much, but it turned out to be pretty good. First off, I'm a big fan of the franchise. I caught the classics all the time on TBS back in the '90's. For me, the film has plenty of fanservice. The classic-style title cards with the different theme songs were probably the greatest and ONLY way they could have kicked off the film. Wacky 3D letters and a rock n roll version of the theme song would have been awful.

When the Stooges are on screen, it's great. The mannerisms and voices are near perfect. That isn't to say they beat the real thing. Downsides would have to be some child actors, the period in the film in which the Stooges are separated and the first ten minutes in which the Stooges are played by kids. They do a decent job, but I wanted to see the adult actors. Also, I wasn't a fan of the gross out humor, but it's far tamer than other Farrelly brothers flicks.

Favorite bits: the bell tower repair scene, the whole hospital scene, this bit where that guy gets stuck in a street sweeper, the salmon farm, Larry David as a nun, Jersey Shore cast getting smacked around (hate them), the way the Stooges exited the film and the extended Stooge fight on a stage (very stripped down and felt very classic).

Overall, I'd give it a 7/10 as a fan of the old shorts. Compared to other similar comedies, like Dumb and Dumber, it's not as good. I'd say D&D and Kingpin are the Farrelly bros at their best. If one didn't like or didn't care about the Stooges, it would probably be a 5/10. Appreciation of the old routines really helps the film, IMO.

---

Really, I think it's good they made the movie. Even haters have to appreciate that it brings the franchise back into the spotlight. We get to see special Stooge displays at video stores highlighting the old releases and that complete DVD set due for release is sure to get more sales thanks to the movie.

I'd actually like to see more of Will, Chris and Sean as Stooges. Not a sequel, but it would be great if 20th Century Fox green lit a few 15 minute shorts that could be attached to upcoming PG-rated films from the studio.

That is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. Let's go one step further and super-impose the Faux Stooges over the real ones in the actual shorts!

Welcome to the site.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Barry the Nomad

That is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard. Let's go one step further and super-impose the Faux Stooges over the real ones in the actual shorts!

Welcome to the site.

Uh.... thanks. I never stated replace the old shorts or remake them. I just threw out the idea of bringing back live action shorts to the movies, with the "tribute band" actors in new 15 minute shorts. I know shorts are one of my favorite things about Pixar. If not the stooges (because it's the worst idea you're ever heard, my reply to that: [pie]) then some new or existing comic teams. I know sites like Funny or Die have more than enough talent to produce live action shorts. 

And didn't each of the "shorts" introductions use different versions of the Stooges' themes from over the years?

The "short" titles were: “More Orphan Than Not,” “Bananas Split,” and “No Moe Mister Nice Guy”

The first theme was the "wah wah wah wah wah wahwahwah" theme (my favorite) the second was either a variation on that theme or Three Blind Mice (can't remember) and the final theme was Three Blind Mice. I can't remember what they ended on, but I think it was the Three Blind Mice finale.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
It's "the worst idea" because those guys are not the Three Stooges. So the movie is not the absolute worst; intimating that those imitations could carry on the legacy of the real deals is asinine.

Offline metaldams

OK, it's time for my review.  I saw the movie with my brother this past Friday night.  There were probably about 10 - 15 people in the theater.

Overall, my reaction to the film was very much the same as my reaction to the trailer, and that would be interesting at first but once the novelty wore off, I realized I was watching an imitation and longed for the real thing.  My brother felt the same way.

The movie starts out with the boys as, well, boys.  We see the Stooges in childhood and I felt myself really wanting to see the grown up Stooges very quickly.  At first, when they finally appeared, I was thrilled.  I actually enjoyed the scene on the roof.  Curly running up a ladder with a chainsaw wrapped around his ankle sawing each step of the ladder behind him was pretty clever.  The Three Stooges performing slapstick on a Cathloic priest, while perhaps tasteless to some, really made me laugh.  I think the mere idea of a priest getting a shirt pulled over his head and having armpit hair ripped out, well...look at it this way, NO WAY that would've been allowed during the production code days.  You simply could not portray a religious figure in that manner, so i thought that was interesting.

OK, so the boys make their initial appearance, a few good gags are thrown in, I get thrown into a strange world where a priest gets slapstick performed on him, I'm thinking I might like this, and then, the film just dies.  We get a lame orphanage saving plot, babies being used as pee shooters (in other words, urine soaked Stooges), an awkward scene where Moe breaks away from Larry and Curly, and just graceless gag after graceless gag thrown in one after the other.  Very much like the trailer, my initial promise of liking this film was dashed away.  Let's not even mention The Jersey Shore, as this dates the film before it's release. 

I really don't have much else to say about this one, and frankly, my interest is a bit lacking to scour my brain further for what I can remember.  Disinterest at this point is the best word now that I've seen it.  My initial gut reaction is that this movie will have a small cult following among Farrelly Brothers fans, Stooge completists will see it, and everybody else will forget about it quickly.  The imdb rating for this film is in the low fives as I type this, and that average, non-descript rating best sums up how I feel about this film.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

There's a second-run movie house near me that gets films several weeks after they're first released.... $4.50 is easier to swallow than $11. The reviews here definitely don't scream "run out and see right away." My curiosity can wait.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
There's a second-run movie house near me that gets films several weeks after they're first released.... $4.50 is easier to swallow than $11. The reviews here definitely don't scream "run out and see right away." My curiosity can wait.

You're in the right frame of mind as far as the movie goes. It is definitely not something to run out and see.