Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Most-Used Routines

Offline middlenamewayne

Nobody's responded to my long-winded post in the General section, so I'll put the question more directly:

Is there any routine that was filmed with Curly, Shemp, Joe and Curly-Joe?

(For that matter, what classic bits did they re-do with Joe Besser, period? I can't recall offhand. I know that a lot of the Joe shorts were rehashes of earlier ones...)

- mnw

Offline metaldams

Nobody's responded to my long-winded post in the General section, so I'll put the question more directly:

Is there any routine that was filmed with Curly, Shemp, Joe and Curly-Joe?

(For that matter, what classic bits did they re-do with Joe Besser, period? I can't recall offhand. I know that a lot of the Joe shorts were rehashes of earlier ones...)

- mnw

That's actually a really good question, but the reason why I didn't respond is because, well....I couldn't think of any.  The problem with Besser is his output was much smaller and less Stooge-like than the other line-ups, so it's hard to think of similar routines he did that would fit in with all the other line-ups, so I'm at a loss for thinking of a single routine.  Perhaps somebody else will prove me wrong, and if so, I'd be interested to see what routine it could be.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline GentWithoutCents

Just been through the Curly Joe filmography and gathered the following from the Routines sections:

Hair standing up on end
When Moe gets scared by something, his hair flies up and stands up on end.
Used in:  SPOOK LOUDER  ·   IF A BODY MEETS A BODY  ·   GHOST TALKS, THE  ·   SCOTCHED IN SCOTLAND  ·   CREEPS  ·   SPACE SHIP SAPPY  ·   OUTER SPACE JITTERS  ·   QUIZ WHIZZ  ·   HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL

Hard head
After Moe hits one of the other Stooges on the head with a hard object, the object gets ruined.
Used in:  YES, WE HAVE NO BONANZA  ·   OILY TO BED, OILY TO RISE  ·   COOKOO CAVALIERS  ·   SO LONG, MR. CHUMPS  ·   IN THE SWEET PIE AND PIE  ·   DIZZY DETECTIVES  ·   DIZZY PILOTS  ·   IDIOTS DELUXE  ·   BEER BARREL POLECATS  ·   CORNY CASANOVAS  ·   GUNS A POPPIN!    ·   HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL

Mention Of Title In Film
A Stooge or supporting character says the title of the film that they're in.
Used in:  WOMAN HATERS  ·   HOI POLLOI  ·   YES, WE HAVE NO BONANZA  ·   CALLING ALL CURS  ·   YOU NAZTY SPY!  ·   I CAN HARDLY WAIT  ·   MICRO-PHONIES  ·   BIRD IN THE HEAD, A  ·   OUT WEST  ·   FIDDLERS THREE  ·   HOKUS POKUS  ·   LOVE AT FIRST BITE  ·   PARDON MY BACKFIRE  ·   HOT ICE  ·   CREEPS  ·   HORSING AROUND  ·   OIL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL  ·   SNOW WHITE AND THE THREE STOOGES  ·   HAVE ROCKET, WILL TRAVEL

Ducking when about to get hit
When Moe is about to hit another Stooge, the Stooge ducks and covers his face. Moe then ducks down next to the Stooge and hits him.
Used in:  POP GOES THE EASEL  ·   FLAT FOOT STOOGES  ·   HALF-WITS HOLIDAY  ·   PEST MAN WINS  ·   SCHEMING SCHEMERS  ·   PIES AND GUYS  ·   JERKS OF ALL TRADES ·   THE THREE STOOGES MEET HERCULES

Running through open door
When somebody is about run into a locked or barricaded door to bust it open, the door is opened at the last second, causing the person to run inside the room and straight into a wall.
Used in:  ROCKIN' THRU THE ROCKIES  ·   GENTS IN A JAM  ·   THREE DARK HORSES  ·   QUIZ WHIZZ  ·   THE THREE STOOGES MEET HERCULES   

Nearsighted Glasses Gag
The third stooge puts on a pair of glasses that makes him terribly nearsighted. This causes a lot of trouble.
Used in:  THREE TROUBLEDOERS, THE  ·   THREE LITTLE PIRATES  ·   MUMMY'S DUMMIES  ·   TOOTH WILL OUT, THE  ·   CORNY CASANOVAS  ·   RUSTY ROMEOS  ·   JERKS OF ALL TRADES ·  THE THREE STOOGES GO AROUND THE WORLD IN A DAZE

Offline middlenamewayne

Just been through the Curly Joe filmography and gathered the following from the Routines sections:

Hair standing up on endHard headMention Of Title In FilmA Stooge or supporting character Ducking when about to get hitRunning through open doorNearsighted Glasses Gag

This is a nice list that suggests a lot of possibilities for creative editing; any one of those bits compiled with all the different teamings could make for a Youtube clip with pretty decent amusement value.

However, it still doesn't answer the question of which actual routines (ie "Niagara Falls!", "Pop Goes The Weasel" etc.) were done with all four third Stooges. The nearsighted glasses gag is the only no-Joe bit listed above, though (if I read everything right); that at least eliminates one routine: "Maha? Aha!" They seemed to enjoy pulling that one out for TV appearances, so it was the one I would've bet on if we had wagers going.

-- mnw

Offline QuinceHead

What about pie fights?  [pie]

I know that Hoi Polloi was remade into Half-Wits Holiday which in turn begat Pies and Guys -- or is this too generic a "routine"?

For duty and humanity,
JohnH aka QuinceHead

Offline middlenamewayne

I think the key to defining a "routine" is: if any other act performed it, viewers would instantly think "they're ripping off the Stooges!!!"

However, once again, a pie fight collage with all the Stooges included (as well as God knows who else!*) would make for a great clip -- perhaps set to music (Cherry Pie by hair-metal band Warrant would fit, as would the Village People post-Disco semi-hit Food Fight!... or for a more traditionalist touch, a nice merengue** would be appropriate!)

- mnw

*(See my new post under "questions/lists" for more on this subject!)

**(Me·ren·gue [n.] A ballroom dance of Dominican and Haitian folk origin, characterized by a sliding step***)

***(A pie-spattered floor would definitely encourage a "sliding step"!)