Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Davy Jones, 66

Offline falsealarms

Davy Jones, lead singer of The Monkees, has died of a heart attack. He was 66.... The Monkees weren't for everyone, but they had some fun songs.

Read more @ http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/29/davy-jones-dead-monkees/

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
I'm not clicking on a TMZ link for any reason. "Weren't for everyone" is an understatement and "fun songs" is your opinion, but it is a little bit surprising that Jones is the first Monkee to die. My heart goes out to his family and friends firstly and  secondly all of the inexplicable Monkees fans out there saddened by this death. This does have a more "sad" element to it than Whitney overdosing,
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Until today, The Monkees are the only 60's band I can think of where all original members are still alive.....scratch that, Cream counts.

Anyway, R.I.P. Mr. Jones.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

Offline metaldams

Trivia, and nobody cheat and look it up:

What rock star's real name is Davy Jones and he changed it to avoid confusion with the Monkee?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
What rock star's real name is Davy Jones and he changed it to avoid confusion with the Monkee?

Bowie.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
More trivia...

Here's Davy Jones' 1964 U.S. TV premiere, with the cast of Broadway's OLIVER!; Davy in his Tony-nominated role of the Artful Dodger.

This same episode has an historical importance.  And it is?

(Imbedding is disabled; to watch, follow the prompted link to Youtube.)

stooged and confused

The first appearance by The Beatles on February 9, 1964.  It's eerie that I had the last major print interview with him for my Goldmine piece.

Offline Bum

Until today, The Monkees are the only 60's band I can think of where all original members are still alive.....scratch that, Cream counts.

Anyway, R.I.P. Mr. Jones.

There's still a few, although most are ones that got their start at the tail end of the '60's. ZZ Top comes to mind right away [they're the longest running band that I can think of with no lineup changes and no major hiatuses] and everyone that was with The Hollies in the '60's and '70's is still alive. Most amazing to me is one of my favorite bands, "Yes", going since 1968 with nearly 20 different members [several of whom have come and gone several times], and all of them still alive.

I'm sure there are a few others and I'll post them when they pop into my brain.......

Offline Bum

Thought of a couple more; both are huge British bands who never meant much in America:  Slade and Status Quo have both been going since the mid '60s, and everyone who has played with both bands is still alive.

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Thought of a couple more; both are huge British bands who never meant much in America:  Slade and Status Quo have both been going since the mid '60s, and everyone who has played with both bands is still alive.

Both bands actually have songs that have been covered over and become hits: Slade's "Cum On Feel The Noize" was covered by Quiet Riot and Status Quo's "Pictures Of Matchstick Men" was covered by the collaboration of Ozzy Osbourne and Type O Negative.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Q: What band has had the most songs on the UK charts?
A: Status Quo

That is a band who is relatively obscure in America but huge in the rest of the world.

Until recently, the Kinks had all their members living, but Pete Quaife died about a year or so ago.  They started during the '64 invasion too, not late 60's like these other bands.

You can technically throw Deep Purple into the list of "60's bands" whose members from that era are all still living (MK I line-up was 60's, though their best stuff was the MK II and III line-ups in the 70's).  You can throw Vanilla Fudge into the list as well.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

Jones' last performance, not even 2 weeks ago:

He sounded pretty good for a 66 year old singer. His voice aged well, unlike others from that era (i.e Beach Boys).

Offline Bum

You can technically throw Deep Purple into the list of "60's bands" whose members from that era are all still living (MK I line-up was 60's, though their best stuff was the MK II and III line-ups in the 70's).  You can throw Vanilla Fudge into the list as well.

I forgot about Vanilla Fudge. I was going to list Deep Purple, but I didn't  know whether I should because of Tommy Bolin. He wasn't an original member, and he wasn't with them in the 1960s, but he was with them at the tail end of the original "run" of the band. All original members of Black Sabbath are still alive [at least physically], and if it wasn't for Ronnie James Dio dying, Sabbath would top Yes for being the longest-running band in which every member who has ever played with them [in Sabbath's case, about 900 people at last count] was still alive.

Another fun thing to ponder is something I call the "Spinal Tap" game [based on their history of dead drummers]. Can you think of a band with the most dead members on one particular instrument? I can think of a couple bands with three: the Grateful Dead have three dead keyboardists, and the Allman Brothers Band have three dead bass players. Do I hear four anywhere?

Offline archiezappa

As many of you already know, I'm a huge Monkees fan.  I'm unnerved by this, to say the least.  He will be missed very much.  He left behind a huge legacy of records, tv shows, etc.  I've been playing my 45's of him today.  Some solo and some with The Monkees.

RIP Davy Jones

Offline metaldams

I forgot about Vanilla Fudge. I was going to list Deep Purple, but I didn't  know whether I should because of Tommy Bolin. He wasn't an original member, and he wasn't with them in the 1960s, but he was with them at the tail end of the original "run" of the band. All original members of Black Sabbath are still alive [at least physically], and if it wasn't for Ronnie James Dio dying, Sabbath would top Yes for being the longest-running band in which every member who has ever played with them [in Sabbath's case, about 900 people at last count] was still alive.

Another fun thing to ponder is something I call the "Spinal Tap" game [based on their history of dead drummers]. Can you think of a band with the most dead members on one particular instrument? I can think of a couple bands with three: the Grateful Dead have three dead keyboardists, and the Allman Brothers Band have three dead bass players. Do I hear four anywhere?

Not true about Sabbath.  Before Dio, Cozy Powell died in 1998 and Ray Gillen died in 1993.

I'll have to give some thought to the Spinal Tap game.  Interesting question.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Bum

OOPS, I should have known better than to post about a band of which I'm not an aficionado [Sabbath]. I didn't even know Cozy Powell played with them....... but I should have assumed so, since he played with EVERYONE.

Offline metaldams

OOPS, I should have known better than to post about a band of which I'm not an aficionado [Sabbath]. I didn't even know Cozy Powell played with them....... but I should have assumed so, since he played with EVERYONE.

Thinking about your question, I thought, OK, think of a band Cozy Powell played with and then think about other dead drummers, because like you said, Cozy played for everyone.  So far, all I have is Rainbow has 2 dead drummers, not quite enough.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

More trivia...

Here's Davy Jones' 1964 U.S. TV premiere, with the cast of Broadway's OLIVER!; Davy in his Tony-nominated role of the Artful Dodger.

This same episode has an historical importance.  And it is?

(Imbedding is disabled; to watch, follow the prompted link to Youtube.)

I watched it an remembered because I have this performance on DVD.  It was the same night as.....

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

Yes, Davy was there with the Beatles.  There from the very beginning.  Following his performance on Ed Sullivan, he was offered a record deal with Colpix Records.  Colpix eventually became Colgems, the label set up to release Monkees records, exclusively.  The rest is history. 

Okay, that's two histories:  The Beatles and The Monkees.  Two great bands.

(In my opinion, anyway...)

Offline shemps#1

• Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
His appearing on Ed Sullivan with an ensemble cast on the same night does not = "Davy was there with the Beatles".

Offline archiezappa

I know that.  I just meant that night was the beginning, in a way, for both.

Offline archiezappa

And one more thing, for those who love the Beatles and hate the Monkees, I did not mean to put them on the same level, or even put them in association with each other.  I was just merely stating that they were in the same place, on the same night, and at different kinds of beginnings in their careers.

Offline Curly4444

I heard the official report was out, and it was indeed a heartache.