Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

I feel creepy asking this, but now I'm curious

Offline Senorita Rita

Greetings fellow Moronikans!

It's been a while since I've visited here. Still love the stooges, even though I don't see them on TV much anymore. In fact, the stooges hadn't been on my mind at all until a couple of days ago, and I decided to do a couple of Google searches for possible new articles or info. I actually found a few great articles analyzing the films and careers of Moe, Larry and Curly. But it was something I saw about Curly that raised an eyebrow. On at least two articles published online in 2011, I read information in the comments section that suggest his failing health was much more complicated that published bios lead us to believe. Specifically, I've read that Ed Bernds and/or Jules white stated in an interview that along with any other health concerns, Curly was suffering from syphilis, and that is what ultimately caused his physical/mental deterioration in the 1940's.

Now, I've never heard this before, and certainly never read about it in any of the bios.  But I am someone who has always found it frustrating that there seemed to be so many unanswered questions in this man's (recorded) life story, specifically his declining health. I'm always left with the wish that I could read/hear his own words, and that people telling his story were purposely over-simplifying him and his troubles. So about the syphilis thing- is there any truth to this, or just the imagination of classic movie fans with too much time on their hands? Yeah, I know it's the internet, but I have never seen that suggested anywhere on the internet prior to this recent search.  If something like a terminal STD caused a star's illness/death back in those days, of course I'd expect it to be covered up, both by studio execs and loved ones... Old-time online stooge fans know me and know I'm not trolling here. I think it's interesting, and regardless of the true factors, Curly's life was tragically cut too short.

http://deancarnegie.blogspot.com/2011/03/magical-three-stooges.html
http://greatentertainersarchives.blogspot.com/2011/07/curly-howard-tragic-stooge.html
...to say the least, if not less...

Offline metaldams

It's food for thought, Rita, and I wouldn't feel creepy asking it.

I'm probably the wrong person to answer as I am not a syphilis expert nor have I researched Curly's medical records, but I would not be surprised if I were to find out Curly did have something other than a stroke.  I'll put it to you this way, I'd believe a man in his early 40's in general has a better chance of contracting an STD as opposed to having a stroke, though of course the latter is still possible.

That said, stroke is the official line, and unless if some research comes out that says otherwise, I'll stick with stroke.  What also needs to be said is I've yet to read those links you posted below, so let me get to that.  Good to see you Rita.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
I've read that Ed Bernds and/or Jules white stated in an interview that along with any other health concerns, Curly was suffering from syphilis, and that is what ultimately caused his physical/mental deterioration in the 1940's.

is there any truth to this, or just the imagination of classic movie fans with too much time on their hands?

The latter.

There is no truth to it, and to the best of my knowledge neither Bernds or White made any such comment in an interview.

Offline archiezappa

In Larry's book, "Stroke Of Luck," he mentions that they had to take several shots and vaccinations before going overseas to perform in the USO.  He says that Curly had some kind of allergic reaction to one of these shots and never really recovered from it.  The reaction, over a period of time, had caused him to start having strokes, the first being on the set of "Half-Wits Holiday." 

Anyone else have any thoughts?  This is just what I read.  Maybe someone else has more information?