Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Rare Three Stooges Home Movies 1938 & 1969

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
A 1938 color home movie of Moe, Larry & Curly on the Atlantic City Steel Pier boardwalk...

1-minute & 15 sec. of Larry Fine, circa 1969, in New York City (it's followed by the 1973 interview with Larry at the Motion Picture Home).  The NYC video is labeled as 1970, which is incorrect.  Larry suffered his stroke, in L.A., on January 9; the people in the background are dressed for warm weather, which rules out the first week of January.  Guessing, this is from Summer 1969...

Offline falsealarms

Holy shit, this stuff is amazing, especially the first video (amazing quality). The music in the first video is pretty good as well.

Offline metaldams

Yes, that was great, thanks Brent!

Reminded me of Evel Ed, an old C3 era poster who was obsessed with Larry nipple sightings (like I can make this stuff up).  That first video would've been his favorite.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Interesting stuff, although I have to admit it's tough to watch Larry in his post-stroke years.   :(
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline falsealarms

Curly's reactions from about 1:45-1:52 are great (when he looks at the tall man's chest).

Offline locoboymakesgood

Thanks for sharing those. It looks like they had an audience in Atlantic city. If you look closely in some of the shots you can see the people down on the beach looking up to where they are.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
NBC L.A. Channel 4's webpage report on this film discovery, with backstory information...

Rare Three Stooges Color Film Discovered

A 1938 color home movie of Moe, Larry & Curly on the Atlantic City Steel Pier boardwalk...

Offline garystooge

A few other pieces of info that were not mentioned in the article or Youtube description are:

1. The footage was taken on July 1, 1938
2. Appearing as the Stooges' straightman at this Steel Pier engagement was Eddie Laughton
3. Also on the bill at Steel Pier that week were Abbott & Costello.
4. If you freeze the film at the 2:00 mark you can see a small child holding a woman's hand. That's Larry's son Johnny and wife Mabel.
5. about a dozen b&w still photos from this session have been on display at the Stoogeum since 2004, obtained from Mann's daughter-in-law. The b&w photos show a few things not seen in the color video (including Moe posing as Hitler, and the Stooges clowning with a Barbara Bradford next to a life boat).

Gary

Offline horwitz-halfwits

• Team Howard
  • Grapehead
  • Stooge it to the man!
  A few other pieces of info that were not mentioned in the article or Youtube description are:

1. The footage was taken on July 1, 1938
2. Appearing as the Stooges' straightman at this Steel Pier engagement was Eddie Laughton
3. Also on the bill at Steel Pier that week were Abbott & Costello.
4. If you freeze the film at the 2:00 mark you can see a small child holding a woman's hand. That's Larry's son Johnny and wife Mabel.
5. about a dozen b&w still photos from this session have been on display at the Stoogeum since 2004, obtained from Mann's daughter-in-law. The b&w photos show a few things not seen in the color video (including Moe posing as Hitler, and the Stooges clowning with a Barbara Bradford next to a life boat).

Gary
So much good stuff to know. I just discovered this not too long ago. Last week as a matter of fact. I'd love to see if there are more home movies in color.
<3 Green Day~Jeff Dunham~King of the Hill <3

"When I want your advice I'll ask for it!" - Moe Howard
"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking til you do succeed." - Curly Howard

Offline Rich Finegan