Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Swear Word uttered in "The Yokes on Me"?

· 64 · 34114

xraffle

Yeah, I just watched "Knutzy Knights" and you're right. Shemp says that to Moe when they are trying to cheer up the princess. It's the new footage in the beginning. I can't believe I never noticed that before.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
THREE HAMS ON RYE (1950)

Shemp: "Thou art face to face with a great thesbian lover."

A malaprop, and imo the best double entendre in any Stooges film.

Offline Dr. Belch

Let us not forget that moment in "Dizzy Detectives" where it sounds like Curly passes gas while rounding a corner quickly.  It could be just his shoe squeaking on the floor, but I never heard a shoe make a noise like that....    :P

I wonder if any of the Stooges ever forgot themselves and let loose a few choice words into a hot mike when they actually got hurt doing those stunts? I know I'd do some powerful cussing if I cracked a couple of ribs falling on a breakway table or cut my head open on a loose board....

Offline metaldams

Let us not forget that moment in "Dizzy Detectives" where it sounds like Curly passes gas while rounding a corner quickly.  It could be just his shoe squeaking on the floor, but I never heard a shoe make a noise like that....    :P

I wonder if any of the Stooges ever forgot themselves and let loose a few choice words into a hot mike when they actually got hurt doing those stunts? I know I'd do some powerful cussing if I cracked a couple of ribs falling on a breakway table or cut my head open on a loose board....

There's a pretty famous story involving Larry swearing in front of some school children.  I don't know if you remember the part in HEAVENLY DAZE where a fountain pen gets caught in Larry's forehead.  Apparantly, it really hurt, and he let a few fly not knowing there was a group of schoolchildren watching on a field trip.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Dr. Belch

I don't know if you remember the part in HEAVENLY DAZE where a fountain pen gets caught in Larry's forehead.  Apparantly, it really hurt, and he let a few [swears] fly not knowing there was a group of schoolchildren watching on a field trip.
I knew about the pen screwup--seems it missed the mark by an inch or two--but not about Larry cussing. Another story goes that Moe chased the director around the room in a fit because he promised Larry wouldn't get hurt doing that stunt. With that little circus going on, I imagine those schoolkids were either thrilled or traumatized for life.

Oh, "Punch Drunks" has always been a favorite of mine, but now I have a new reason to watch: seems some joker in the audience flipped off the camera.  Speaking of, Moe asks Larry to give someone the "bird" in "Whoops, I'm an Indian", but Larry does this weird duck call thing with his mouth rather than offer up his middle finger. It's still enough to get him smacked, though.

Offline Dunrobin

• (Rob)
  • Administrator
  • Spongehead
  • Webmaster
    • The Three Stooges Online Filmography
Oh, "Punch Drunks" has always been a favorite of mine, but now I have a new reason to watch: seems some joker in the audience flipped off the camera.  Speaking of, Moe asks Larry to give someone the "bird" in "Whoops, I'm an Indian", but Larry does this weird duck call thing with his mouth rather than offer up his middle finger. It's still enough to get him smacked, though.

I've always assumed that Larry was about to give him a raspberry (a.k.a. "Bronx cheer"), which I think was also referred to as giving someone the bird.

curlydude

In BOOBY DUPES, Curly pulls out a recording and reads the title to Moe, which is " Don't Chop the Wood Mother, Father's Coming Home With a Load"...

:D I couldn't believe it when I first heard it because it is very, very suggestive for that time and even now ! They crack me up every time they pushed the line in such a clever way.   [3stooges]

Offline metaldams

In BOOBY DUPES, Curly pulls out a recording and reads the title to Moe, which is " Don't Chop the Wood Mother, Father's Coming Home With a Load"...

:D I couldn't believe it when I first heard it because it is very, very suggestive for that time and even now ! They crack me up every time they pushed the line in such a clever way.   [3stooges]

Y'know, I never gave much thought to that line, but now that you mention it....WHOA!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead

I couldn't believe it when I first heard it because it is very, very suggestive for that time and even now ! They crack me up every time they pushed the line in such a clever way.

"With a load" is a colloquialism for "drunk." It wasn't intended to suggest anything other than that.

curlydude

Incorrect on several levels. First, you do not, and cannot, know what the original writers or the stooges intended at that time. This, of course, only applies if you are not one of the original writers or one of the Stooges (which I doubt, and one of those options being impossible). So...again, the Stooges played on many sexual innuendo which seemed fun for them and the audience. There are instances of names like " Mrs. Throttle Bottom" and " Mrs. Van Bossom". The Stooges loved the ladies and like most famous male celebrities, enjoyed the natural, beautiful physical ralations between a man and woman as often as possible  [pie] There's also instances of phrases like " He threads a fast needle.." and many others that obviously are part of the Stooge nomenclature of fun sexual references. Back to the cussing thing, the episode where they go down to Mexico to do the comedy bullfight has Curly almost saying, " God Damn It", several times, once to the jealous husband of Esther (the attractive female lead), once to a Mexican character, and once to Moe...check it out.  [3stooges] Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk... :D

Offline FineBari3

Incorrect on several levels. First, you do not, and cannot, know what the original writers or the stooges intended at that time. This, of course, only applies if you are not one of the original writers or one of the Stooges (which I doubt, and one of those options being impossible). So...again, the Stooges played on many sexual innuendo which seemed fun for them and the audience. There are instances of names like " Mrs. Throttle Bottom" and " Mrs. Van Bossom". The Stooges loved the ladies and like most famous male celebrities, enjoyed the natural, beautiful physical ralations between a man and woman as often as possible  [pie] There's also instances of phrases like " He threads a fast needle.." and many others that obviously are part of the Stooge nomenclature of fun sexual references. Back to the cussing thing, the episode where they go down to Mexico to do the comedy bullfight has Curly almost saying, " God Damn It", several times, once to the jealous husband of Esther (the attractive female lead), once to a Mexican character, and once to Moe...check it out.  [3stooges] Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk... :D

I would say that Brent, who is one of the leading Stooge experts in the WORLD, is most certainly correct here. Brent has been closer to the writers of the Stooges' shorts than any of us here. How many Stooges scripts have you researched? How many archives and private libraries have you been to?

Did you ever hear of a thing called the Hays Code? Sexual innuendo of any kind was forbidden. I'm sure some instances got through, but nothing as brasen as you are interpreting. Pre-Code, yes....post 1934, absolutely not.

Mar-Jean Zamperini
"Moe is their leader." -Homer Simpson

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Incorrect on several levels. First, you do not, and cannot, know what the original writers or the stooges intended at that time.

This, of course, only applies if you are not one of the original writers or one of the Stooges (which I doubt, and one of those options being impossible).

Reasoning that applies to your point of view and yourself as well... you do not know, and you weren't there.

I have read and researched scores of the original shooting scripts in Jules White's files at the AMPAAS Library, and there is an undeniable undercurrent of conservatism throughout them. Scripted sequences with even a modicum of inference are usually accompanied by Jules' pencilled notations, directing himself, the A.D., or the screenwriter to get clearance from Mr. Briskin (White's boss at Columbia, who was Cohn's VP in charge of B pictures and the shorts dept.) or "the front office."

As noted, "having a load" is a longtime and common colloquial for being drunk. In context of the times (the 1940s) and all the short subject scripts I've read, that was the joke's intended meaning.

curlydude

Looking at scripts is FINE (no pun intended  [pie]) but when you look to some of the humor, jokes and specifically selected terms/phrases/words and references within certain contexts as a thread and connect all the dots, it is pretty clear. Curly chasing the pretty girls all the time, and the "ejaculated a mouthful" line and all the " Mrs. Throttle Bottom" type nicknames, and Curly doing his funny yell when a girl would rub on his "wonderful head of bone" and his convulsions whenever a girl would get near him or kiss him, and on, and on...in short, the Stooges ALWAYS had an undercurrent of very sexually suggestive energy in some of the humor, especially evident whenever attractive females were introduced into the filmed sequences (which is a great thing, fun and part of their irreverent charm). Just an educated point of view based on many years of in depth research which included many a night with many a " Mrs. Throttle Bottom" ! ...  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline metaldams

Curlydude, Moe Howard himself would not argue with BeAStooge about The Three Stooges.  As somebody who posted here for years...trust me.  I'm sure he's right about the BOOBY DUPES reference, even though I can certainly see where you're coming from.

That said, The whole "Big Zipper/Bulge Area" thing on the YOU NAZTY SPY map.......I don't care what Jules White's notes say (not that I'm aware what they say), too coincidental.
- Doug Sarnecky

curlydude

I'm not arguing, just pointing out what many of the great comics had in common, a strong passion for all things pleasurable. I wasn't aware of the map thing, but I will check it out. Also, there are differences between original scripts, re-writes and the various multitudes of revisions in a production. It's not even a point of contention, it's a pretty obvious thread through Curly's comedic interactions with all the attractive female characters. It's one of the most enjoyable aspects of the Stooges in a way. Again, part of the charm and irreverence of the genius of the Stooges. As an aside, Curly was married five times, so that pretty much tells us about his focus on chasing women and always looking for the next "pleasantly plump" throttle bottom and buxom pair of van bossoms... [pie] I guess if you're healthy and happy it's natural !!! And fun, too !!

Offline metaldams

I'm not arguing, just pointing out what many of the great comics had in common, a strong passion for all things pleasurable. I wasn't aware of the map thing, but I will check it out. Also, there are differences between original scripts, re-writes and the various multitudes of revisions in a production. It's not even a point of contention, it's a pretty obvious thread through Curly's comedic interactions with all the attractive female characters. It's one of the most enjoyable aspects of the Stooges in a way. Again, part of the charm and irreverence of the genius of the Stooges. As an aside, Curly was married five times, so that pretty much tells us about his focus on chasing women and always looking for the next healthy throttle bottom and voluptuous pair of van bossoms... [pie] I guess if you're healthy and happy it's natural !!! And fun, too !!

From SAVED BY THE BELLE.

SeƱorita Rita: But my General, the fat one does not look like a spy. He looks very innocent.

Curly: Oh, I don't know, I've been around!
- Doug Sarnecky

curlydude

Hi all, I'm fairly new (don't wear diapers, or anything) but have been into the genius of the Stooges for a while. I'm too new to start a new topic (but not new enough to wear diapers) and since the crux of many of the cussing quiries emanated from the gentleman who was cussing out that "bastard" of a truck in the initial question, it seems almost tangentially related and a quarter-half borderline genius to extrapolate my query  ;D  from the aforementioned, thusly...  [pie]  I would like to forward some questions regarding some of the funny, interesting and unusual vehicles that Moe, Larry and Curly used to sport around in during various episodes. I thought of this idea when I was watching DIZZY DOCTORS, in which our handsome heroes were forced to get a job and had no choice but to find menial employment as salesman of "BRIGHTO" ! " The Savior of a Nation ..The Scientific Marvel of the Age " !! Anyway, there is a moment in the short when Curly tries to hitch a ride and a little tiny, teeny weeny, itsy-bitsy, miniature, super-duper-sub-sub-sub-sub-compact (it was very small  ;D) two-seater convertible drives up, picks him up, makes a quick U-turn and comes back to his initial spot on the sidewalk. To make a long, sort of funny description not so long and even less funny, what type of car was that ?? Also, while we're at it, what type of truck were they selling the fish out of in those other shorts, the famous West Coast Customs " HOOK, LINE AND SINKER" truck ~ ?  [3stooges]  ;D

Offline Smaug

Reading about the man in "Punch Drunks" flying the middle finger reminds me of Harold Lloyd in "Speedy". He is mugging for a funhouse mirror, thinking everyone is enjoying his hijinx when he realizes they were laughing at the wet paint on the back of his suit. He then flips the bird at himself in the mirror. Can't find a clip online, though......
Anyone else remember this?

Offline metaldams

Reading about the man in "Punch Drunks" flying the middle finger reminds me of Harold Lloyd in "Speedy". He is mugging for a funhouse mirror, thinking everyone is enjoying his hijinx when he realizes they were laughing at the wet paint on the back of his suit. He then flips the bird at himself in the mirror. Can't find a clip online, though......
Anyone else remember this?

Don't have a clip but I have the DVD...you're 100% correct.

Check out the heroin gags in Lloyd's "Get Out and Get Under" and Chaplin's "Easy Street."
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline Smaug

Don't have a clip but I have the DVD...you're 100% correct.

Check out the heroin gags in Lloyd's "Get Out and Get Under" and Chaplin's "Easy Street."

Is "Easy Street" the "contraband in the salt shaker" gag? Whatever they were smuggling into prisons back then......

Offline metaldams

Is "Easy Street" the "contraband in the salt shaker" gag? Whatever they were smuggling into prisons back then......

No, that's MODERN TIMES, and the contraband is cocaine mistaken as either salt or sugar.  That was filmed in 1936, and I'm surprised they got away with it.  VERY funny scene.  I think you can see that on youtube.  I'll post it tonight when I'm at home.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

[youtube=425,350]PoJtNQinInA[/youtube]

Enjoy.
- Doug Sarnecky

xraffle

Reading about the man in "Punch Drunks" flying the middle finger reminds me of Harold Lloyd in "Speedy".

Speaking of middle finger, did anyone else notice that Curly sticks his middle finger up in "Disorder In The Court" during the part where he's chewing the gum? I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but that part always shocked me. I noticed this since I was a kid when I first saw that short.

Offline Smaug

Speaking of middle finger, did anyone else notice that Curly sticks his middle finger up in "Disorder In The Court" during the part where he's chewing the gum? I'm not sure if this has been brought up before, but that part always shocked me. I noticed this since I was a kid when I first saw that short.

Never thought much of it, till I found out what the finger means.  Just like the girls playing "bra-less" basketball in "Violent is the Word for Curly" that I ignored until I hit puberty! (wish they would have finished that song, tho.....)

Metaldams, thanks for the cokey Chaplin!