Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

Beach Boys at the Grammy's

Offline falsealarms

Here's video of the Beach Boys performance at the Grammy's last night:

http://929nin.com/maroon-5-foster-the-people-and-the-beach-boys-grammy-performance/

How do you think they sounded?

Brian Wilson, especially, looked like he's seen better days but overall they don't sound bad for a bunch of guys in their mid-late 60s. Though I have to say I'm not sold that it was Mike Love REALLY singing there... kind of sounded like he was lip synching to an older vocal of that song.

Offline metaldams

I'll have to watch the clip later tonight, but I'm not so excited about this.

I will say though, speaking of older guys portraying a youthful gimmick, I heard about 5 or 6 songs off the new Van Halen, and it was better than I was expecting.  Not a classic, but respectable.  Eddie's kid can play bass much better than I would've thought, I'm a bit jealous, but then again, I don't have Van Halen genetics.  Also bear in mind I'm a casual Van Halen fan, and reactions are pretty mixed amongst the hardcore.  But hey, if Van Halen in 2012 can pull off something passable to my ears, maybe The Beach Boys can too.

Anybody following the whole political fiasco of the Black Sabbath reuinion?  It's disgusting they can't come to financial terms at this late stage in the game.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Just got through the whole clip, here's a couple of notes:

1. The Grammys suck. They always have and as far as the awards and such those are a joke too.

2. It was kinda sad to see an Alzheimer's riddled Glen Campbell in the audience.

3. Everybody knows I think current music sucks and do not follow it so I have no idea who Maroon 5 and Foster the People are. While I was not impressed with their covers at least neither group butchered the song. They played it straight without giving it a personal flare, which is probably best for an awards show appearance as opposed to recording their own versions. If I had to pick "which one was better" I guess I would go with Maroon 5 because the lead singer is better than the Foster the People guy. I still wouldn't run out to buy either of their albums.

4. Ryan Seacrest is an intolerable douche bag.

5. Now for the Beach Boys...sigh. Rock or Pop music is a young man's game and these are definitely not young men. I think the main reason why old farts like the Beach Boys get on these shows is because when they were young they made such incredible music; much better music than the groups who covered their songs (again I've never heard a Maroon 5 or FTP song, but I feel safe in my assumption that nothing they have done can ever hope to compare to something like Pet Sounds). Those days are gone and I'd much rather listen to them in their prime than as 70 year old men barely able to move...or sing for that matter. Their voices were cracking on the harmonies and high notes and I noticed they stuck the youngsters in there to help out. It was disheartening to see a bunch of seniors get up there and warble out Good Vibrations, and in a way surreal. I would much rather remember the Beach Boys for their primes rather than for that performance. I also don't think it did anything for the youngsters who actually know who the other groups are.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

Older rock and pop artists vary.  Singer/songwriters like Bob Dylan and Ray Davies tend to age better, especially since those two were old men when they were 25.  Mick Jagger looks like a fool shaking his ass at his age and regurgitating the hits, The Beach Boys are sad because, well...who wants to see a 70 year old sing "Be True To Your School?"  Lemmy at age 66 kicks the ass of most...I mean ALL 18 year olds because he's so genuine.  Lemmy's the Johnny Cash of rock.  Ozzy's a fucking caricature and is more known to the general public for his persona than music, sadly.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline vomit

Older rock and pop artists vary.  Singer/songwriters like Bob Dylan and Ray Davies tend to age better, especially since those two were old men when they were 25.  Mick Jagger looks like a fool shaking his ass at his age and regurgitating the hits, The Beach Boys are sad because, well...who wants to see a 70 year old sing "Be True To Your School?" Lemmy at age 66 kicks the ass of most...I mean ALL 18 year olds because he's so genuine.  Lemmy's the Johnny Cash of rock.  Ozzy's a fucking caricature and is more known to the general public for his persona than music, sadly.

Well Spoken truth here.  Lemmy lives and breathes RnR.  Hell, he IS rock and Roll.  Don't question it....and yet another thread is hijacked by LEMMY & MOTORHEAD over here.  1st it was NKOTB, now the Beach Boys....hehehehe.  I bet Lemmy's favorite stooge is Shemp.  Both a wonder to look at and behold!
Specto Caelum!

Offline falsealarms

How much do you think it's worth to see these guys in concert at this point? You're not getting anything near their best at these ages, but it also might be the last time they go on tour.

Offline metaldams

How much do you think it's worth to see these guys in concert at this point? You're not getting anything near their best at these ages, but it also might be the last time they go on tour.

I don't know, my friend actually asked me if I wanted to go see The Beach Boys with him, and I passed.  Like I said in a past post, some artists I'm OK with seeing at 70, others it's just ridiculous.  I also think ther fact Mike Love and Brian Wilson haven't done anything artistically valid together in my lifetime (and I'm 33), makes this less appealing.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

One of their sold out shows in CT - tickets were $55 and $75.