Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

IRON MAIDEN NORTH AMERICA TOUR 2012

vomit · 39 · 7854

Offline middlenamewayne

MD: I've got a wiped out old copy of Audio Buyway somewhere -- they're kinda hard to find, being promos, but aren't really pricey when you find one, as far as I've seen. I swear I spotted a LP or CD copy for sale once, but the discographies I checked all say "cassette only!"

Vom: Did you know that Tap's roots go all the way back into American vaudeville? Check out this clip, in which director Marty DiBergi looks into Nigel's ancestry through his aged uncle, big band leader Augie Gibbons:

-- MNW

(Now YOU'LL all be stuck doing The Cold Potato! Haw! Haw! Haw!)

Offline metaldams

That roots of Spinal Tap footage was great!  Here's Spinal tap meeting Metallica.

D minor - the saddest of all keys

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline middlenamewayne

I have a copy of the Spinal Tap/Metallica confrontation off Youtube, but where is it from originally? I thought it was in the VH1-Classics "Behind the Music" (or whatever) on Metallica, but I skimmed that and found no Tap...

BTW: I met the members of SAXON when they opened for Iron Maiden, and after a return gig we made this slapstick video together (Did you know that Harry Shearer studied SAXON in the process of writing the Tap script?):

While I'm at it, the local "avant pop" band Glass Eye used to have a heavy metal alter-ego called Monikker. Here's a rare look at one of their performances:

Rock'n'rollers is the cwaziest people!  -- mnw

Offline metaldams

I have a copy of the Spinal Tap/Metallica confrontation off Youtube, but where is it from originally? I thought it was in the VH1-Classics "Behind the Music" (or whatever) on Metallica, but I skimmed that and found no Tap...

BTW: I met the members of SAXON when they opened for Iron Maiden, and after a return gig we made this slapstick video together (Did you know that Harry Shearer studied SAXON in the process of writing the Tap script?):

While I'm at it, the local "avant pop" band Glass Eye used to have a heavy metal alter-ego called Monikker. Here's a rare look at one of their performances:

Rock'n'rollers is the cwaziest people!  -- mnw

The Metallica/Spinal Tap footage origins...

It was taken in 1992 backstage at the Freddie Mercury tribute concert and is commercially available on the YEAR AND A HALF IN THE LIFE OF METALLICA DVD.  I had that on VHS back in the day when I was in my early teens, and that video, along with the LIVE SHIT: BINGE AND PURGE box, are probably responsible for me and my brother having the mouth of a sailor. 

http://www.amazon.com/Metallica-Year-Parts-Jason-Newsted/dp/6305633193/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1331516030&sr=1-3

Saxon fucking rule (there's that influence I was just talking about), and they indeed influenced Spinal Tap.  I hear Derek Smalls was given wisdom like hit an open string whenever possible so you can pump your fist to the crowd.  That video is great too, is that really you interviewing them?

The great Spinal Tap band of the modern era is Steel Panther.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline middlenamewayne

The SAXON interviewer is my old drummer -- who actually was the one whose friend dated Maiden's road manager. I had to stay behind the camera for these things or there wouldn't be any footage worth salvaging; it was nearly impossible to make this semi-coherent as it was!!!

-- mnw

Offline metaldams

I thought some of you guys might get a kick out of this.  If you only want the Stooge part, fast forward to 3:30.  The other guy with Alice is Dennis Dunaway, his original bass player.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline middlenamewayne

Alice Cooper is a comedy genius -- he was pals with Groucho Marx, too, as I'm sure you already knew. Here's a little AC comedy special I edited together (Many people find it worth watching for the Lace & Whiskey footage alone -- see the chickens get their revenge at last!):

BTW: I know Christopher Cross is gonna be around for SXSW -- if I get a chance to chat with him, I'll HAVE to ask him what he thinks about SAXON's excellent version of Ride Like The Wind!:

-- mnw

Offline metaldams

Alice Cooper is a comedy genius -- he was pals with Groucho Marx, too, as I'm sure you already knew. Here's a little AC comedy special I edited together (Many people find it worth watching for the Lace & Whiskey footage alone -- see the chickens get their revenge at last!):

BTW: I know Christopher Cross is gonna be around for SXSW -- if I get a chance to chat with him, I'll HAVE to ask him what he thinks about SAXON's excellent version of Ride Like The Wind!:

-- mnw

I'll have to check out that youtube footage later tonight since I can't view youtube on a work computer, but Alice Cooper fighting with a chicken sounds great!  That said, LACE AND WHISKEY is the weakest of his 70's albums, but I'm still sure I'll enjoy the footage.  Alice no doubt is a comic genius, the main reason why he's one of my favorite lyricists.  You'll have to post your comedy video findings for sure.

As far as "Ride Like the Wind," I was eating at a Friendly's a couple of months back and they had the Christopher Cross version piped in.  I was probably the only person in the place thinking, "Damn, they're ripping off Saxon!"  OK, I was probably the only person in the place who knew who Saxon was.

Some nerd trivia to connect the two:  Biff Byford admitted on a recent episode of That Metal Show that the song "Denim and Leather" was inspired from a line in the Alice Cooper song off the FROM THE INSIDE album (which would be "Jacknife Johnny.")
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Middlewaynename, since you collect comic clips for hard rock and heavy metal bands, are you aware of KISS's 1979 interview with Tom Snyder?  Ace Frehley, a drunken one I may add, absolutely steals the show from an obviously pissed off Gene Simmons.  Definitely worth watching for the whole half hour, tons of comedy here, and it holds up to repeat viewings.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline middlenamewayne

Middlewaynename, since you collect comic clips for hard rock and heavy metal bands, are you aware of KISS's 1979 interview with Tom Snyder?

No, I wasn't aware of this! As far as "We Will Mock You" goes, my kurrent KISS komedy kollection konsists of klips from MAD-TV; What's New, Scooby Doo?; The Paul Lynde Halloween Special; and Family Guy. You kan never have too much KISS, though!

-- mnw

BTW: Until his death in 2001, Stan "Doc" Penridge (Peter Criss' songwriting partner) regularly played in little clubs around Austin -- my friend LeeAnn Atherton often was his duet partner at these acoustic shows,

Offline metaldams

No, I wasn't aware of this! As far as "We Will Mock You" goes, my kurrent KISS komedy kollection konsists of klips from MAD-TV; What's New, Scooby Doo?; The Paul Lynde Halloween Special; and Family Guy. You kan never have too much KISS, though!

-- mnw

BTW: Until his death in 2001, Stan "Doc" Penridge (Peter Criss' songwriting partner) regularly played in little clubs around Austin -- my friend LeeAnn Atherton often was his duet partner at these acoustic shows,

The only footage I know about is the Paul Lynde special, I'll have to youtube those others.

As far as KISS goes, I have met their now late manager Bill Aucoin and Bruce Kulick, the latter who took too much of a liking to my ex for my tastes, though so many years have passed I can now joke about it.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline middlenamewayne

The only footage I know about is the Paul Lynde special, I'll have to youtube those others.

As far as KISS goes, I have met their now late manager Bill Aucoin and Bruce Kulick, the latter who took too much of a liking to my ex for my tastes, though so many years have passed I can now joke about it.

Hey, if you could get everything in my shows on Youtube, they wouldn't be very impressive!

Ace played a local club once and pissed everyone off by never leaving his trailer except for the show. Turned out he had a lackey signing stuff for him!

- mnw

Offline metaldams

Ace played a local club once and pissed everyone off by never leaving his trailer except for the show. Turned out he had a lackey signing stuff for him!

- mnw

Ace is a funny guy sometimes like with Tom Snyder, but there are other stories I've heard about him that make him out to be a grade A asshole.  I've read a few books on the guy, and at this point nothing I hear would surprise me.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline vomit

Vom: Did you know that Tap's roots go all the way back into American vaudeville? Check out this clip, in which director Marty DiBergi looks into Nigel's ancestry through his aged uncle, big band leader Augie Gibbons:

-- MNW

(Now YOU'LL all be stuck doing The Cold Potato! Haw! Haw! Haw!)

I know that now!  thanks for the info.  great video!   Love how this thread (Maiden) was hijacked by Spinal Tap....just like the NKOTB was taken over by MOTORHEAD!
Specto Caelum!