Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

IRON MAIDEN NORTH AMERICA TOUR 2012

vomit · 39 · 7676

Offline vomit

I know there are quite a few metal heads out there.  And I wanted to see what you all thought of there "Maiden England" 2012 retro-tour?  I am pumped.  Was gonna hit the Chi-town show, but just seen that they are headlining Summerfest in Milwaukee...since that's closer I think that's where I'm gonna go.  And finally a DECENT opener...Alice Cooper.

UP THE IRONS!!

http://www.summerfest.com/iron-maiden/
Specto Caelum!

Offline metaldams

This tour is going to have two openers for different legs, Alice Cooper and Coheed and Cambria.  Thank God it's Alice Cooper in Philly.

Here's the thing.  I have seen just about everybody I've wanted to see in concert that's living, (sadly never saw Dio).  The lone exception, and my number one bucket list guy is Alice Cooper, who I love just as much as Maiden (I have every album by both artists).  When I heard Maiden were touring the U.S., I thought a slight maybe because I'm in a situation where I need to start saving money and I saw Maiden three times, including once on the tour for THE FINAL FRONTIER.  When I heard they were going to do The Maiden England/Seventh Son show, my chances of seeing them a fourth time grew even greater as SEVENTH SON OF A SEVENTH SON is my favorite Maiden album.  It became definite I'd go when I found out Alice Cooper's opening.  Never mind Alice should be co-headlining and not opening, it's still going to be awesome.

By the way, I hope this means the 3rd volume of vintage "History" DVD's is coming, because those first two are great, and I really need to replace my VHS copy of MAIDEN ENGLAND.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Vomit, did you get tickets yet?  June 29th, Camden , NJ. (even though the tour dates for Camden shows always say Philly), I'll be there.  Very good chance this will be my only concert this year, but man I'm pumped!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline vomit

Vomit, did you get tickets yet?  June 29th, Camden , NJ. (even though the tour dates for Camden shows always say Philly), I'll be there.  Very good chance this will be my only concert this year, but man I'm pumped!

Indeed I did.  Gonna go to Summerfest.  This should be a great show.  Can hardly wait.....will be my 6th Maiden show!!!  Everyone has been spectacular.
Specto Caelum!

Offline metaldams

Indeed I did.  Gonna go to Summerfest.  This should be a great show.  Can hardly wait.....will be my 6th Maiden show!!!  Everyone has been spectacular.

What tours did you see?

For me it's Ed Hunter, Brave New World, and I guess Final Frontier, though the latter the album wasn't quite out yet and they played one song from that album.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline middlenamewayne

I know there are quite a few metal heads out there. 

I haven't seen Iron Maiden since the '80s, when their road manager was dating a friend of mine. (Handy, eh? I witnessed a great "Spinal Tap moment" with a jammed inflatable spaceship and the resultant backstage brouhaha afterwards!)

Maybe you could answer a question for me, though -- the IM guys have a great sense of humor (See Dive! Dive! Dive!, Mission From 'Arry, etc.) but I don't know where to find good examples of it on video. So far I don't have one "Maiden moment" on my new "bibliodoc" We Will Mock You: The Lighter Side of Heavy Metal, and I need one (or three!) Some help?

- mnw

PS: In the Stooges Scrapbook or one of the similar volumes there's a great shot of Moe, Larry, and Curly-Joe with electric guitars & amps, posed in such a way that leaves a perfect space to Photoshop in a pic of Iggy Pop as their front man (the resulting visual pun should be obvious...)

Offline metaldams

Offline vomit

What tours did you see?

For me it's Ed Hunter, Brave New World, and I guess Final Frontier, though the latter the album wasn't quite out yet and they played one song from that album.

I saw the same tours as you...plus....AMOLAD in '06 & "Somewhere Back In Time" in 2010.  Great times.  Looking forward to bringing my kids with!
Specto Caelum!

Offline metaldams

Looking forward to bringing my kids with!

Bring your daughter to the slaughter?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline vomit

Bring your daughter to the slaughter?

Naw....have two boys (9 & 6)...almost brought them to the SBIT tour in 2008 but thought they were too young.  They are really looking forward to it...and so am I!
Specto Caelum!

Offline metaldams

Naw....have two boys (9 & 6)...almost brought them to the SBIT tour in 2008 but thought they were too young.  They are really looking forward to it...and so am I!

That's awesome man!  Hope you guys all have a good time, I know I will.  I'm going with a friend.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline vomit

That's awesome man!  Hope you guys all have a good time, I know I will.  I'm going with a friend.

Barring Sharon Osbourne throwing eggs & cutting the power I think we are safe knowing it's gonna be a great show!!!
Specto Caelum!

Offline metaldams

Barring Sharon Osbourne throwing eggs & cutting the power I think we are safe knowing it's gonna be a great show!!!

Oh, fuck that bitch.  She's a despicable human being.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline vomit

Oh, fuck that bitch.  She's a despicable human being.

I'll buy that for a dollar! 
Specto Caelum!

Offline metaldams

I'll buy that for a dollar!

You better watch out. She'll sue you for that dollar and replace all your posts on this site with Ozzy's current session drummer. 
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Vomit, since I'm in a mood to discuss all things related Maiden, I gotta ask, did you ever check out Bruce Dickinson's solo career?

I got into Maiden shortly after he left in 1993, and I bought BALLS TO PICASSO when it first came out when I only owned about two or three Maiden albums, and it's great, but ACCIDENT OF BIRTH and CHEMICAL WEDDING are all-time metal masterpieces that are just as good as any maiden album.

I ask if you are aware of these albums because it never ceases to amaze me how many Maiden fans don't know about Bruce's solo career (and for the record, I'm such a hardcore Dickinson fan I even have the albums he did with Samson).
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline vomit

Vomit, since I'm in a mood to discuss all things related Maiden, I gotta ask, did you ever check out Bruce Dickinson's solo career?

I got into Maiden shortly after he left in 1993, and I bought BALLS TO PICASSO when it first came out when I only owned about two or three Maiden albums, and it's great, but ACCIDENT OF BIRTH and CHEMICAL WEDDING are all-time metal masterpieces that are just as good as any maiden album.

I ask if you are aware of these albums because it never ceases to amaze me how many Maiden fans don't know about Bruce's solo career (and for the record, I'm such a hardcore Dickinson fan I even have the albums he did with Samson).

I have been a die-hard Maiden fan since '83....AND I have all of Bruce's solo albums from the 90s.  You are correct sir, CW & AOB are FAR FAR superior to the two albums they did with Blaze, and in some ways are better than No Prayer & Fear of the Dark as well.

His 1st solo try "Tattooed Millionaire" is OK.  Two standout tracks are the title and "Born in '58"...the rest is kind of shlocky.  I like "Balls" but, for being more polished still lacks an edge...."Tears Of The Dragon" is a good 'un though.  Bruce wanted Skunkworks to be released with that as the Band's title: SKUNKWORKS.  The record company balked and he released it as a solo effort.  Has some good tunes...but he saved the best for last......and I did not hear his latest "Tyranny of Souls".  I have been mostly happy with the reunited maiden lineup so I did not pick that one up.  Any way you slice it, he is a veritable renaissance man: Airline pilot, author, Radio host, world class vocalist and fencer, few can measure up to him inside or out of the metal community.

Up the IRONS!
Specto Caelum!

Offline metaldams

You are correct sir, CW & AOB are FAR FAR superior to the two albums they did with Blaze, and in ALL ways are better than No Prayer & Fear of the Dark as well.

Fixed that above sentence for you.

I agree with you about TATTOOED MILLIONAIRE.  I like the two songs you mentioned, (actually, I love "Born In '58"), and "Son of a Gun" is cool as well, but yeah, I think the band seemed thrown together and Bruce hadn't found his solo voice yet.

BALLS TO PICASSO - love the diversity and production on that one, and "Tears of the Dragon" is no doubt a classic.  Bruce spread his wings on this album.

SKUNKWORKS - hated it when it came out, but it has grown on me over the years.  That was an interesting backing band he had there.  "Back From the Edge" should've been a massive hit.

ACCIDENT OF BIRTH and THE CHEMICAL WEDDING - I went to high school from 1993 - 1997, which was an all-time low being a metal fan.  I was one of the few kids in my school who listened to metal, and all the new "metal" releases were massive disappintments at the time.  When those two albums came out, I felt for the first time I was buying metal classics as new releases, and those two albums compare to any classic metal release of the 70's and 80's.

TYRANNY OF SOULS - Lacks the hunger of the two mentioned above since Bruce was conquering stages with Maiden again, but still an enjoyable release.  Been a while since I listened to it, should give it another spin.  "Navigate the Seas of the Sun" is my favorite track.

Bruce Dickinson is one of my heroes in life, for the renaissance reasons you mentioned above.  He's also well read and always comes across as intelligent in every interview, there needs to be more like him.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

Look at this gem I found.  I always knew Bruce put up an amazing vocal performance in this song, but who knew the only thing missing was....Ian Anderson.  Performed at Canterbury Cathedral this past December, a classic version of The Chemical Wedding song "Jersulaem."  I love you tube.

- Doug Sarnecky

Offline vomit

Look at this gem I found.  I always knew Bruce put up an amazing vocal performance in this song, but who knew the only thing missing was....Ian Anderson.  Performed at Canterbury Cathedral this past December, a classic version of The Chemical Wedding song "Jersulaem."  I love you tube.

That is pretty cool.  But was anyone else reminded of Spinal Tap's "Stonehenge" just a bit?  and I LOVE that song.
Specto Caelum!

Offline metaldams

That is pretty cool.  But was anyone else reminded of Spinal Tap's "Stonehenge" just a bit?  and I LOVE that song.

You wanna see Spinal Tap?  There's a performance on youtube from the same show of them performing Tull's "Locomotive Breath," where Dickinson is having mic problems and there are crew guys fixing his mic on the stage!  Quite funny actually, I'll see if I can find the link later tonight.

Yes, "Jersusalem" is a classic song, and I never would've thought to throw Ian Anderson in there, but now that I think about it, it makes perfect sense.  "Jersualem," both lyrically and musically, would fit perfectly for Jethro Tull.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

I'll have to watch these links tonight, Vomit, since I'm at work now, but apparantly, there's a performace of "Revelations" too!

http://www.skullsnbones.com/profiles/blogs/bruce-dickinson-performed-at-canterbury-cathedral-footage-here
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline middlenamewayne

You wanna see Spinal Tap?  There's a performance on youtube from the same show of them performing Tull's "Locomotive Breath," where Dickinson is having mic problems and there are crew guys fixing his mic on the stage!  Quite funny actually, I'll see if I can find the link later tonight.

Have you heard this promotional cassette? It's hilarious:

AUDIO BUYWAY
Interviews +
Son of a gun
Tattooed millionaire
Dive dive dive
All the young dudes

Especially his explanation of why they couldn't use actual samples from Run Silent, Run Deep in "Dive Dive Dive!"! Another totally Iron Tap moment!

Thanks for that first video, though -- oughtta be all the Maiden I need in my "movie"! (If I could get Bruce to record a couple of additional audio quotes, I could almost cobble a "narrator" element out of the various bits in that... At the moment, Jason McMasters from Dangerous Toys is agreeable to play host, so I should probably just stick with what I've got!

-- mnw

PS: Who has the funniest song title -- Budgie or Blue Oyster Cult?

Offline metaldams

Have you heard this promotional cassette? It's hilarious:

AUDIO BUYWAY
Interviews +
Son of a gun
Tattooed millionaire
Dive dive dive
All the young dudes

Especially his explanation of why they couldn't use actual samples from Run Silent, Run Deep in "Dive Dive Dive!"! Another totally Iron Tap moment!

Thanks for that first video, though -- oughtta be all the Maiden I need in my "movie"! (If I could get Bruce to record a couple of additional audio quotes, I could almost cobble a "narrator" element out of the various bits in that... At the moment, Jason McMasters from Dangerous Toys is agreeable to play host, so I should probably just stick with what I've got!

-- mnw

PS: Who has the funniest song title -- Budgie or Blue Oyster Cult?

Never heard of this, appears to be a rare item.  Can't find the interview on you tube, so if you or anybody else can find a link, I'd be much obliged.

To answer the last question  - Budgie.  "Hot As A Docker's Armpit" and "Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman" are the best titles in the business, though BOC's "She's As Beautiful As A Foot" ain't half bad either.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline vomit

"Tonight I'm gonna Rock you (Tonight)".  Spinal Tap....GENIUS!

BEST. LYRICS.  EVER.

Little girl, it's a great big world
But there's only one of me
You can't touch 'cause I cost too much
But tonight I'm gonna rock ya (Tonight I'm gonna rock ya)
Yeah, tonight I'm gonna rock ya (Tonight I'm gonna rock ya)
Tonight!

You're sweet but you're just four feet
And you still got your baby teeth
You're too young and I'm too well hung
But tonight I'm gonna rock ya (Tonight I'm gonna rock ya)
Yeah, tonight I'm gonna rock ya (Tonight I'm gonna rock ya)
Tonight, whoa yeah!

You're hot, you take all we've got
Not a dry seat in the house
Next day, we'll be on our way
But tonight we're gonna rock ya (Tonight we're gonna rock ya)
Yeah, tonight we're gonna rock ya (Tonight we're gonna rock ya)
Tonight!

Little girl, it's a great big world
But there's only one of... Me!

Specto Caelum!