Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

The Buster Keaton discussion thread

Offline metaldams

Since a lot of people here like to discuss Blu-Ray and DVD releases, how about we discuss his actual career and films?  I'll let somebody else answer first but lets start the conversation this way - name your favorite short and feature, and explain why.

Let's get to it, Damfinos.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

I need to re-watch these, but offhand, I'd say his best were:

Among the Educationals: JAIL BAIT (good jail break scenes) and BLUE BLAZES (Buster does a good job as a bumbling fireman and I liked Arthur Jarret's performance)

Among the Columbias: PARDON MY BERTH MARKS (funny train scenes) and NOTHING BUT PLEASURE (clever vegetable soup scene, good ending)

Offline falsealarms

Expanding on PARDON MY BERTH MARKS, which I just re-watched.

* A who's who of Columbia supporting players circa 1940: Dent, Appleby, Boniface, Laughton, Fiske, Tyrell, Schindell, Toones, Jamison, Eva McKenzie, and Lynton Brent. It feels like one big family reunion.

* Some of the highlights of the train scenes - Buster talking to his bird while the other passengers think he's talking to Mary Christman (Buster saying "you bad girl" seems pretty risque for 1940)

* The cleverness of the Mary Christman/Happy New Year lines.

* Everyone sticking their head out and singing the wedding march song at Buster.

* Fred Toones shaking his finger at Buster when he pokes his head through the curtain.

A definite classic in my book.

Offline falsealarms

No other Keaton fans here?

Some other quick thoughts on most of the Columbias -

Why wasn't Elsie Ames ever in a Stooge short? After watching these (again) it's even more apparent to me that she would have been a good fit.

NOTHING BUT PLEASURE - One of the best. Love the exterior shots, the bus scene, and Buster making vegetable soup.

SO YOU WON'T SQUAWK - Strong fast paced short with a good chase scene and Buster doing some good work hanging out of the buildings. Also liked the light bulb sequence.

PEST FROM THE WEST - A little tedious for me, a weaker effort.

THE SPOOK SPEAKS - A scare comedy that isn't very scary or funny.

HIS EX MARKS THE SPOT - Pretty good. Appleby and Ames really go at it in the kitchen. There's also a good dining room table scene (a pie makes an appearance).

GENERAL NUISANCE - Like the exterior shooting in this one.... some of the same locations as BOOBS IN ARMS.... a great end with the chaotic hospital room scene.

TAMING OF THE SNOOD - Solid. Enjoyed the hat shop scene.... Buster and Ames had a pretty fierce scene in the apartment... and another dramatic scene with Buster hanging outside of a building.

Offline metaldams

No other Keaton fans here?

I kind of find this endearing in a way, but you're the only guy on the planet who starts a Keaton thread by mentioning his favorite Educational and Columbia shorts and totally bypasses his silent work!

I'll chip in my opinions soon, but yeah False is right, more people should be chipping in on this one.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

I'm not much of a fan of the silent era. That's not for a lack of trying, but I can't get into it. That being said, I really enjoy the vast majority of his talkie shorts.

Offline metaldams

I'm not much of a fan of the silent era. That's not for a lack of trying, but I can't get into it. That being said, I really enjoy the vast majority of his talkie shorts.

Is it Keaton silent you don't like or silent you don't like?  Keaton by far had the most creative control and in turn did his best work in the silent era.  What silents have you seen?
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline metaldams

False, what do you think of the MGM talkies?

It's been a while since I've seen them, but I remember  PARLOR, BEDROOM, AND BATH and SPEAK EASILY being halfway decent (the latter with the help of Thelma Todd), but FREE AND EASY and SIDEWALKS OF NEW YORK being particularly dreadful.  The latter two suffer from overly dramatic scenes that really hurt the comedy, and I could never warm up to the "Elmer" character MGM saddled Keaton with. 

I admit though the Keaton MGM talkies are a body of work I would not mind re-evaluating.  Like I said, it's been a while.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

I haven't seen the MGM talkies, but have been meaning to see at least WHAT, NO BEER? for awhile.

As far as the silent era, the era in general. I've dabbled in Lloyd, LH, and Chaplin... but the result is usually the same... I just get bored. It's not my cup of tea. I liked Lloyd talkies like MOVIE CRAZY and FEET FIRST, but something SPEEDY I was done with after about 20 minutes. About 2 years ago, I went to a showing of METROPOLIS. It turned out to be one of two movies I've ever walked out on.