Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

3 Stooges Ultimate Collection DVD, June 5

BeAStooge · 360 · 99070

Linked Events

• Three Stooges Ultimate Collection DVD: June 05, 2012 - June 11, 2012

xraffle

I just watched my first DeRita film last night, Have Rocket, Will Travel. And my first thought is that DeRita did a much better job as a Stooge than Besser did throughout his 16 shorts. Except, the talking unicorn was a low point lol.

I'ill be getting the other 5 DeRita films in the mail over the next day or 2, so I can watch the rest of them.

Sadly, that was DeRita's best performance. I'm not saying it was good. I'm just saying his performance in HAVE ROCKET was better than the other 4 films.

Offline stooge1029

Never saw any of the DeRita films although im sure theyre better than the Bessier shorts. I dont think of my dvd collection of the 8 volumes as incomplete just because I dont have the DeRitas. It was almost like a Stooges revival geared more towards kids with the violence tuned waaay down...almost doesnt feel like necessary stooge material to own. Like I said though never sat through one of those movies so I dunno...I tried once couldnt really hold my interest.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Never saw any of the DeRita films although im sure theyre better than the Bessier shorts. I dont think of my dvd collection of the 8 volumes as incomplete just because I dont have the DeRitas. It was almost like a Stooges revival geared more towards kids with the violence tuned waaay down...almost doesnt feel like necessary stooge material to own. Like I said though never sat through one of those movies so I dunno...I tried once couldnt really hold my interest.

No, they really aren't "better" than the Besser shorts. Sure "Curly-Blow" was less over-the-top than Besser, but at least the Besser shorts were done in 16 minutes or so.

Snow White and the Three Stooges is the worst Stooges project ever for my money, no matter the third Stooge.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline Stooges#1

Snow White and the Three Stooges is the worst Stooges project ever for my money, no matter the third Stooge.

That is what I hear and to be honest, I am embarrassed owning anything called Snow White and The Three Stooges, let alone how bad the film is.

The only reason I've bought these films is because they're the last projects of Moe Howard and Larry Fine as Stooges on film.  Would I prefer if Besser and DeRita never existed? Yes.

But I cant begrudge Moe and Larry no matter how crap one/all of their films are.

Offline Mark The Shark

I like Snow White And The Three Stooges for what it is -- essentially an early 1960s kids movie adaptation of the story, but with the Stooges instead of the seven dwarfs. As long as I don't go into it expecting "Uncivil Warriors," I'm fine. How great it is that it's now possible for fans to watch just about any of the Stooge films, from any era, any time they like.

Offline archiezappa

Yeah, I have to be in the right mood to watch "Snow White & The Three Stooges."  But it's great to have it on DVD when I'm in that mood.  My kids enjoyed it, and, of course, I'll watch it with them.

As far as Curly Joe is concerned, I always thought "The Three Stooges Meet Hercules" was him at his best.  Although him at his best is not The Three Stooges at their best.  If you want The Three Stooges at their best, you need stuff like "No Census, No Feeling" or "Cactus Makes Perfect."

Offline Stooges#1

I watched Soup To Nuts last night for the first time. Moe, Larry and Shemp really stole the show, which is totally unsurprising, as we all know, they would later do years down the track.

I read the history about the movie and it was my first time watching Fred Sanborn in anything. Let me just say, I am pleased he left the group after that movie. To say he wasn't even remotely funny would be an understatement. His walk, his eyebrow thing, all a bit odd.

Offline archiezappa

Ah, yes.  "Soup To Nuts" is a very entertaining film.  The Stooges first appearance on film was a good one.  I love early talkie movies like this.  This was during the era of the Four Marx Bros. and it makes me think about how they made comedy films back then.  "Animal Crackers" was released the same year.  If I were alive back then, I would definitely go to the theater to see both of these films.  Maybe I will, one day, when I can get Doc and Marty to loan me their Delorean.

Offline Stooges#1

I'm onto watching "Snow White and The Three Stooges" right now. The first thing I caught in the first scene with the Stooges was Mel Blanc doing his Bugs Bunny voice. I could catch his voice anywhere, and doing a bit of IMDb searching it was in fact him, voicing "Quinto" the hand puppet.

The movie though, simply sucks.

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
The first thing I caught in the first scene with the Stooges was Mel Blanc doing his Bugs Bunny voice. I could catch his voice anywhere, and doing a bit of IMDb searching it was in fact him, voicing "Quinto" the hand puppet.

ThreeStooges.net...

Offline JazzBill

I just ordered the Ultimate Collection for $44.99 on Amazon. They wanted $39.99 for the 3 disc Rare Treasures. For a lousy $5.00, I was happy to double dip. It never hurts to have a spare in case something bad happens to one of your originals.
"When in Chicago call Stockyards 1234, Ask for Ruby".

xraffle

Someone at Amazon is selling this NEW for $24.99. It's was a "Fulfilled by Amazon" item. I went ahead and ordered it. And here's the thing, I didn't have anything else to buy, so I just paid the $2.98 shipping all because I missed the $25 Free Shipping quota by a penny! I don't want to be bothered buying those crap filler items, so I was like, what the heck. And I decided to just pay the shipping. Since this is a third party item fulfilled by Amazon, I don't get charged tax. So, with the $2.98 shipping, it was about $27.97, but since I had a $13.17 gift card balance left, the order total was $14.08.

I know I was crazy to go for this, but I'm stubborn and refuse to double dip. Even though I only saved about $20 by going this route, I was happy I didn't have to double dip. And since I'm getting 3 discs filled with rare films that I've never seen, I personally think this was worth the $30. And since everyone here is double dipping on the whole set, then I think it's safe to say that Sony is content with making these exclusive with the Ultimate set and so, they probably won't release it separately in the near future.

Offline falsealarms

Someone at Amazon is selling this NEW for $24.99. It's was a "Fulfilled by Amazon" item. I went ahead and ordered it. And here's the thing, I didn't have anything else to buy, so I just paid the $2.98 shipping all because I missed the $25 Free Shipping quota by a penny! I don't want to be bothered buying those crap filler items, so I was like, what the heck. And I decided to just pay the shipping. Since this is a third party item fulfilled by Amazon, I don't get charged tax. So, with the $2.98 shipping, it was about $27.97, but since I had a $13.17 gift card balance left, the order total was $14.08.

I know I was crazy to go for this, but I'm stubborn and refuse to double dip. Even though I only saved about $20 by going this route, I was happy I didn't have to double dip. And since I'm getting 3 discs filled with rare films that I've never seen, I personally think this was worth the $30. And since everyone here is double dipping on the whole set, then I think it's safe to say that Sony is content with making these exclusive with the Ultimate set and so, they probably won't release it separately in the near future.

You'll definitely get your money's worth out of that set... and I think some of the films will genuinely surprise you in how good they are... especially the Shemp Clydes. Once you have a chance to watch the set, I'll be curious what you think of these solos.

The "rare treasures" set is now 29.99 via amazon third party: http://www.amazon.com/The-Three-Stooges-Treasures-Columbia/dp/B00895CC90/

Offline falsealarms

I just ordered the Ultimate Collection for $44.99 on Amazon. They wanted $39.99 for the 3 disc Rare Treasures. For a lousy $5.00, I was happy to double dip. It never hurts to have a spare in case something bad happens to one of your originals.

That's a good point and another reason why double dipping at such a discount was fine by me. I haven't even unwrapped my doubles, they're just there in case something happens to the originals.

xraffle

The "rare treasures" set is now 29.99 via amazon third party: http://www.amazon.com/The-Three-Stooges-Treasures-Columbia/dp/B00895CC90/

That's the person I got it from. He must have several of them because he's still selling more. And after I ordered it for $25, he raised it $5 five minutes later.

Offline Curly4444

I went ahead and ordered it. And here's the thing, I didn't have anything else to buy, so I just paid the $2.98 shipping all because I missed the $25 Free Shipping quota by a penny! I don't want to be bothered buying those crap filler items, so I was like, what the heck.

That happen to me a few times. What i did was buy a set of screws that were .99c, and it brought me up to $25. By doing so i saved $2 and got screwed.  >:D ;D

xraffle

Yeah, but since the screws are sold by Amazon, I'd have to pay tax on it. So, I'd have to pay $1.08 (tax included). For only $1.90 extra, I'd remove the screws (which I'll just throw away anyway) and I get my item a little faster.

Offline Curly4444

Yeah, but since the screws are sold by Amazon, I'd have to pay tax on it. So, I'd have to pay $1.08 (tax included). For only $1.90 extra, I'd remove the screws (which I'll just throw away anyway) and I get my item a little faster.

For some reason they didn't charge me tax on the screws, and it got here fast too.

xraffle

For some reason they didn't charge me tax on the screws, and it got here fast too.

It depends on your state. Here in NY, we get charged tax on items sold by Amazon. Third parties, on the other hand, are tax free even if they're fulfilled by Amazon. And yeah, Amazon has been pretty fast with their Free Shipping lately.

Offline metaldams

Man, I'm late to the party.  I'll be placing my order for the RARE TREASURES set tomorrow.  Money has been tight as of late and it's been months since I've spent money on anything besides food and bills, so this goes to show how much I love the boys.  REALLY looking forward to seeing these films, and I advise you all to have them memorized, as there will be a tournament, Metaldams style, of the solo shorts in the coming months.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline ProfessorStooge

I ordered the Rare Treasures set earlier today. It will be nice to finally have all the Curly-Joe films on DVD. I parted with the bulk of my VHS tapes and most of my collection is in DVD format.

Offline metaldams

I ordered the Rare Treasures set earlier today. It will be nice to finally have all the Curly-Joe films on DVD. I parted with the bulk of my VHS tapes and most of my collection is in DVD format.

I just ordered mine a couple of days ago and it's expected arrival date is Thursday.  Can't wait to dig into this set and start discussing everything, I've been wanting to see most of these shorts for years!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline falsealarms

I'll be anxious for the solo shorts tournament, especially since several here have apparently bought the set.

Offline luke795

What song is played during the intro of the Shemp solo shorts?