Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

3 Stooges Ultimate Collection DVD, June 5

BeAStooge · 360 · 98895

Linked Events

• Three Stooges Ultimate Collection DVD: June 05, 2012 - June 11, 2012

Offline falsealarms

There must be a lot of double-dippers. This big set is currently the top DVD/Blu seller at bn.com. At buy.com, it's #5. Good sales of this can only help for potential release of related material (other Columbia two reelers, Time Out For Rhythm, etc)

Offline locoboymakesgood

I will not be rebuying all 8 volumes just to get this. If you guys want to, that's up to you. It's just a real shame that us fans that supported Sony throughout these releases have to be punished.
I would hardly say we got punished. If we didn't support the volumes we never would've completed the sets to begin with. I'm with you on not buying this set for that bonus material, but I'm still holding out hope.

This "ultimate" set still could have had a lot more bells and whistles to truly be ultimate, but in this day-and-age where streaming and manufactured-on-demand media pretty much reigns king, I guess we should be so happy to even have this.

If Sony would've started the series back in 2004 instead of worrying about the colorized shorts that pretty much convinced them to release them chronologically in the first place, I bet we would have gotten a truly complete set with better organized bonus material (and maybe Archie Zappa's features together instead of pieced apart like they are now with Have Rocket by itself). I'm wondering what happened to the stuff they were shooting at one of the fan conventions a few years ago.

They probably had plans for a much more elaborate collection but for whatever reason put the kibosh on it.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

xraffle

I would hardly say we got punished.

Well, in a way, we did. Those that never bought the volumes get rewarded. They get all 190 shorts for a nice price with 3 bonus discs. Those of us that supported these sets and bought them individually have to rebuy all 8 volumes for $45 just to get the extra discs.

Yeah, we supported the sets from Day 1 and because of that, the sets sold well and that's what led to all 190 shorts being released. So rather than thanking fans for the support, Sony gives us a big middle finger in our faces.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Well, in a way, we did. Those that never bought the volumes get rewarded. They get all 190 shorts for a nice price with 3 bonus discs. Those of us that supported these sets and bought them individually have to rebuy all 8 volumes for $45 just to get the extra discs.

Yeah, we supported the sets from Day 1 and because of that, the sets sold well and that's what led to all 190 shorts being released. So rather than thanking fans for the support, Sony gives us a big middle finger in our faces.
The true reward here was completing all 190 shorts, which honestly, is remarkable. MSRP is dictated by the studio, the quality of the release, and the store. VHS tapes were over $100 back in the 80s. They're worth nothing now. We paid what the DVDs were at the time of their release. They've now been out awhile, so as demand goes down, price does down. It's simple economics.

Sony didn't owe us anything. I'm actually more surprised the set wasn't offered under their MOD service through the Warner Archive or Amazon.

If you and I and everyone else here didn't buy the initial sets to hold out for the set that came out on Tuesday, we never would've gotten it. The sets had to sell to even complete the series. Our reward was a complete Stooges short collection.

This fluff that came out is interesting but how often would you re-watch it? I've had all of the movies (including the Fox releases of Soup to Nuts and Snow White at the Three Stooges), bought day and date when they came out. I've watched each of them once. There's hardly any replay.

I'm very curious to watch this bonus content at least once, but this wouldn't make or break my collection or make me think I'm getting ripped off because I supported the initial releases.

xraffle

Yeah, I probably will not watch those bonus contents more than once. I just want to see them, but I don't think they'll have the same replay value for me as the 190 shorts. Heck, I even have "Swing Parade of 1946" which is not a bad film, but I only watched it once and I've owned it for many years. So, that's why I'm not willing to go as far as rebuying all the volumes just to get the extra discs. And besides, now that these "rare treasures" are out on DVD, it's only a matter of time before they're up on YouTube. So, we may be able to watch them sooner than we think.  >:D

Offline falsealarms

I'm wondering what happened to the stuff they were shooting at one of the fan conventions a few years ago.

I've heard there were legal issues (what, I don't know). And, whatever they were, apparently they were/are insurmountable.

I don't know what kind of condition he's in, but HAVE ROCKET director David Lowell Rich is still alive (he's 89). A total pipe dream, but can you imagine having received a Stooge feature with director commentary?

Offline locoboymakesgood

I don't know what kind of condition he's in, but HAVE ROCKET director David Lowell Rich is still alive (he's 89). A total pipe dream, but can you imagine having received a Stooge feature with director commentary?
That would've been crazy. I don't know what he could've offered in terms of a commentary but that would've been neat to at least have that.

Something I would've liked is commentary on the shorts from film historians. Experts on the subject from someone like Leonard Maltin. I always like what they have to say on older films.

Offline Stooges#1

It's fairly obvious that the latter is the case again, but is the Ultimate Collection packaged in any other way or are the 8 volumes just a re-package?

Volume 1-7 were originally 2 slipcase in a cover and volume 8 were 3 slipcases in a cover when they were released from 2007-2010. Does the Ultimate Collection get the same packaging or different? Different would be something like a 2-3 disc 14mm DVD case.

Warner Bros. did something like that for the Looney Tunes Golden Collection. They released the 6 volumes originally in fold-out boxes, but on the re-release we got 4-disc 14mm DVD cases for all 6 volumes. I doubt Sony did something similar?

Offline Curly4444

It's fairly obvious that the latter is the case again, but is the Ultimate Collection packaged in any other way or are the 8 volumes just a re-package?

Volume 1-7 were originally 2 slipcase in a cover and volume 8 were 3 slipcases in a cover when they were released from 2007-2010. Does the Ultimate Collection get the same packaging or different? Different would be something like a 2-3 disc 14mm DVD case.

Warner Bros. did something like that for the Looney Tunes Golden Collection. They released the 6 volumes originally in fold-out boxes, but on the re-release we got 4-disc 14mm DVD cases for all 6 volumes. I doubt Sony did something similar?

Didn't you see this?

http://i47.tinypic.com/2qkm2jd.jpg

Offline Stooges#1

Didn't you see this?

http://i47.tinypic.com/2qkm2jd.jpg

I actually missed that the first time around. That answers my question. Thanks for the re-post.  [cool]

xraffle

I actually missed that the first time around. That answers my question. Thanks for the re-post.  [cool]

Ya numbskull!  [pie]

Offline archiezappa

Considering how long I waited to get the 190 shorts, waiting three years for a separate release of "Rare Treasures" is nothing.  Besides, I've still got a few other DVD's I'm collecting right now, so I can wait. 

What would really be perverse, is if Sony decided, in a year or so, to release a "Super Ultimate Box" with 3 or 4 more discs of extra material.  Then, those who bought the "Ultimate Box" would say they have been screwed.  For that reason, I'm not putting my cash in their pocket for this one. 

As for Sony, thanks for bringing the 190 shorts to DVD.  No thanks for trying to screw us with this box!  (Square peg in round hole?)

xraffle

Considering how long I waited to get the 190 shorts, waiting three years for a separate release of "Rare Treasures" is nothing.  Besides, I've still got a few other DVD's I'm collecting right now, so I can wait. 

Yeah, I'm still trying to save up for "The Honeymooners: Lost Episodes" DVD set. It costs about the same as this Ultimate Collection. If I still haven't bought that yet, then I obviously wouldn't use the money to buy a set where I already own 90% of the content.

Offline Curly4444

If they release another box set, they will probably put all the theatrical movies in. Then ill kill Sony. lol Then think how stupid the people who double dipped will feel. [pie]

Offline falsealarms

If they release another box set, they will probably put all the theatrical movies in. Then ill kill Sony. lol Then think how stupid the people who double dipped will feel. [pie]

That wouldn't bother me since I already have all the DeRita features. I'd guess TIME OUT FOR RHYTHM, START CHEERING and some Columbia features that Shemp and Besser showed up in (i.e HEY ROOKIE, DANGEROUS BUSINESS) are ticketed for MOD... if anything. We've already seen ones like like CAPTAIN HATES THE SEA, LONE WOLF MEETS A LADY, and STRANGE AFFAIR end up that way.

Offline falsealarms

classicflix is selling the bonus discs on Amazon for $44.97, which is the same price as the big box from Best Buy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00895CC90/ref=cm_cd_asin_lnk

Offline archiezappa

classicflix is selling the bonus discs on Amazon for $44.97, which is the same price as the big box from Best Buy.

Now, wait a minute.  They said they wouldn't do this and here it is.  Wow!  But I'll have to wait for the price to come down.  About ten or twelve dollars less than that and I'm buying!

Offline Curly4444

More like classicskrew. What a gypt joint.

Now, wait a minute.  They said they wouldn't do this and here it is.  Wow!  But I'll have to wait for the price to come down.  About ten or twelve dollars less than that and I'm buying!

The new set( 3 Stooges Ultimate Collection), was probably opened, and the bonus disc were put on that site. Way too pricey.

Offline archiezappa

The new set( 3 Stooges Ultimate Collection), was probably opened, and the bonus disc were put on that site. Way too pricey.

That may be the case, but I don't care.  If Sony won't do this, somebody will and they, apparently, have.  Like I said, I'm not buying at $45, but if it were more like $30-35, I will buy it.

Offline Curly4444

That may be the case, but I don't care.  If Sony won't do this, somebody will and they, apparently, have.  Like I said, I'm not buying at $45, but if it were more like $30-35, I will buy it.

More like $10-20 for me.

Offline falsealarms

This is not an official separate release of the bonus discs, just a third party seller breaking the set and selling them on their own.

Offline archiezappa

This is not an official separate release of the bonus discs, just a third party seller breaking the set and selling them on their own.

Sony should take note of that and offer it on their own.  You know, and actually listen to the fans.  And actually pay attention to what's happening.

xraffle

Sony should take note of that and offer it on their own.  You know, and actually listen to the fans.  And actually pay attention to what's happening.

Why would they do that if there's enough people willing to pay the extra money to double dip and buy the Ultimate Collection? Like falsealarms stated, this box set is currently selling well, so Sony is making good money by keeping the Rare Treasures exclusive to this set. I'm not in favor of what they're doing, but I'm just trying to state why Sony is choosing to take this route.

Offline archiezappa

Why would they do that if there's enough people willing to pay the extra money to double dip and buy the Ultimate Collection? Like falsealarms stated, this box set is currently selling well, so Sony is making good money by keeping the Rare Treasures exclusive to this set. I'm not in favor of what they're doing, but I'm just trying to state why Sony is choosing to take this route.

Oh yeah.  I totally understand what you're saying.  I just get fired up about it, you know.  I'm a good old boy, never meaning no harm.

Offline Curly4444

I'm a good old boy, never meaning no harm.
Beats all you ever saw, been in trouble with the law Since the day they was born. Straightening the curves, flattening the hills. Someday the mountain might get 'em, But the law never will.  Making their way, any way they know how..That's just a little bit more than the law will allow. I'm a good ol' boy, You know my mama loved me,  But she don't understand they keep a showin' my hands, And not my face on T.V. Just the good ol' boys, Wouldn't change if they could, Fightin' the system like a true modern day robin hood.