Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

3 Stooges Ultimate Collection DVD, June 5

BeAStooge · 360 · 96013

Linked Events

• Three Stooges Ultimate Collection DVD: June 05, 2012 - June 11, 2012

Offline UncleBobOLink

Dear Sony, & Mr. Schlesinger, This is Brad, I spoke with you, Mike on Facebook and email, but I just wanted to send this again so that you would have a copy of it,

SONY PLEASE help me out if theres any way you can....

Sony, PLEASE release the The Bonus discs from THE THREE STOOGES ULTIMATE COLLECTION seperately.. I am offering to send my proofs of purchase from all of my sets in exchange for a set of the new bonus DVDs and the box they come in, this is ALL i need to have the complete set... I added it up and Ive spent over double what this new set costs... I have other Sony & Columbia DVDs in my collection too.. PLEASE release them seperately....

I CAN NOT AFFORD TO BUY THIS AGAIN, JUST FOR THE BONUS DVDS which is the only ones I need now

A LOYAL Sony SUPPORTER, with collections of ALL IN THE FAMILY, SANFORD & SON, and various other Stooges DVD and VHS, in addition to the Collections

Thanks, Brad

Please email me at:   billanderson1fan@yahoo.com

Moe:  Didn't you say you had an uncle ?
Curly:  Yeah, Uncle Bob O. Link, but the family didn't speak to him, He had MILLIONS.........
Moe:  Thats it, We're rich
Larry:  We're filthy with dough
Moe:  You're filthy WITHOUT it..............

Offline falsealarms

Buy.com has a pre-order for $61.99 + tax/shipping, 30+ bucks cheaper than anywhere else. No idea how long that price lasts...

http://www.buy.com/prod/three-stooges-ultimate-collection/228230240.html

Offline archiezappa

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment has a Facebook page.  They posted the following announcement today...

Hey Stooges fans, we’ve got some news! While the studio has yet to formally announce the release of a new 3 Stooges Box set, there are plans to make the unreleased material available for a later purchase outside of the new collector’s set. Stay tuned for more!

YES!  Awesome!  I guess they are going to do us right, after all.  Thanks again, Sony!

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
Sony's press release of April 9; nothing new that we didn't already know.

(The studio does have tentative plans to issue the "9th" volume of bonus material separately, but that will be at a later date and is not addressed in this promo.)

From Sony Pictures Home Entertainment...
Get All Your Nyuks in a Row!
THE THREE STOOGES ULTIMATE COLLECTION

All 190 Short Films, Plus 11 Hours of Movies, Shorts and Never-Before-Released Material!

The Masters of Mayhem -- Moe Howard, Larry Fine, Curly Howard, Shemp Howard, Joe Besser and Curly Joe Derita -- Are in One Definitive Collection on DVD June 5th

CULVER CITY, CALIF. (April 9, 2012) – Fans will enjoy more than 60 hours of fun and laughter for the whole family from the masters of mirth, merriment and mayhem when Sony Pictures Home Entertainment releases THE THREE STOOGES ULTIMATE COLLECTION on DVD June 5th. The entire Three Stooges Columbia shorts catalog spans three decades of slapstick silliness, featuring 190 shorts, plus three discs of rare and unreleased content. Fans will revel in this chance to see several of the Stooges work separately in solo shorts, developing the comic skills that would lead them to their roles as successors to Curly in the comedy trio.  The collection includes 28 never-before-released short films starring Stooges actors Shemp Howard, Joe Besser, and Joe DeRita, as well as the feature length films Have Rocket, Will Travel and Rockin' in the Rockies available for the first time on DVD.  From the classic teaming of Moe, Larry and Curly to later cast members Shemp, Joe and Curly Joe, this 20-disc set is a must-own collection for any Stooges fan.

ABOUT THE THREE STOOGES

The Three Stooges were the longest-running comedy act in motion picture history. The team included Moe Howard (born Harry Horwitz, June 19, 1897 – May 4, 1975), Larry Fine (born Louis Feinberg, October 22, 1902 – January 24, 1975), Curly Howard (born Jerome Horwitz, October 22, 1903 – January 18, 1952), Shemp Howard (born Samuel Horwitz, March 4, 1895 – November 22, 1955), Joe Besser (August 12, 1907 – March 1, 1988) and Joe "Curly-Joe" DeRita (born Joseph Wardell, July 12, 1909 – July 3, 1993).

Moe Howard and brother Shemp started in 1922 as noisy assistants to lead comedian Ted Healy in the vaudeville act, "Ted Healy and His Stooges;" Larry Fine joined the team in 1925. Five years later, the act would make its screen debut in Fox's Soup to Nuts (1930). The Stooges quit Healy soon after and struck out on their own as "Howard, Fine and Howard." Healy begged them to return, and in 1933 they did, with young brother Jerry (aka Curly) replacing Shemp. After a single film at Universal, they were signed by MGM, making shorts and feature films until the Stooges left Healy for the last time and signed with Columbia in 1934.

After the boys' first two-reelers, Woman Haters and Punch Drunks (both 1934), Healy relinquished his claim to the word "Stooge," and they were rechristened "The Three Stooges," beginning with the Oscar®-nominated Men in Black (1934). Curly stayed until 1946, when a stroke forced him into retirement. Among his personal best were Violent is the Word for Curly (1938), A-Plumbing They Did Go (1940), In the Sweet Pie and Pie and An Ache in Every Stake (both 1941), Micro-Phonies (1945) and You Nazty Spy! (1940), the classic Hitler spoof that earned the boys a prominent place on the Nazis' death list.

Shemp rejoined the Stooges as Curly's replacement in 1946. He would make 73 two-reelers with the team, as well as an unsold TV pilot, "Jerk of All Trades," and a feature, Gold Raiders (1951) with George O'Brien. A gifted comedian with an unrivaled talent for zany ad-libs and non sequiturs, Shemp is considered by some the funniest Stooge of all and appeared in numerous classics, including Brideless Groom (1947), Hot Scots, Squareheads of the Round Table (both 1948), Merry Mavericks (1950) and a pair in 3D, Spooks! and Pardon My Backfire (both 1953).

When their popularity skyrocketed after the release of their shorts to television in 1958, the Stooges returned to Columbia, where they made five hit feature-length films: Have Rocket, Will Travel (1959); The Three Stooges Meet Hercules (1962); The Three Stooges in Orbit (1962); The Three Stooges Go Around the World in a Daze (1963); and The Outlaws is Coming (1965).

In 2002, Punch Drunks (1934) was selected for preservation in the United States National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being “culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant,” the first Stooge film to achieve such an honor.

The Three Discs of Rare and Unreleased Content Features:
 -  11 hours of Stooges content never before released on DVD
 -  Full-length Columbia films starring the Stooges:
      -  Have Rocket, Will Travel (1959)
      -  Rockin' In The Rockies (1945)
 -  A collection of 28 short films starring Stooges actors Shemp Howard, Joe Besser and Joe DeRita
 -  The Three Stooges in Columbia Pictures' animated shorts:
       -  Bon Bon Parade
       -  Merry Mutineers
       -  A Hollywood Detour

Offline HELLOLARRY

Love how the release gets the details wrong (their first Columbia film, A Plumbing They Did Go(?), the number of Shemp shorts, and no mention of Joe Besser! Classic. :) [3stooges]

Also...is it really true that the Stooges were on Hitler's 'death list' or is that one of those exaggerated anecdotes? I don't recall anyone ever saying Chaplin was on such a list for the Great Dictator.

Offline falsealarms

Offline falsealarms

Maybe, but $58.59 at blowitoutahere is a strong contender for best pre order. Plus there's the added bonus of no sales tax there unless you're in FL/KY.

Barnes and Noble has a $65 pre-order.

Offline falsealarms

I wonder if these pre-order prices of $60 - $70 are low enough to convince people here to double dip to get extra volume right away? That supposedly will be be released separately later on, but how or when is anyone's guess.

Early on, there were expectations this new big box was going to have an MSRP of $159. Turns out, MSRP is apparently $95.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I wonder if these pre-order prices of $60 - $70 are low enough to convince people here to double dip to get extra volume right away? That supposedly will be be released separately later on, but how or when is anyone's guess.

Early on, there were expectations this new big box was going to have an MSRP of $159. Turns out, MSRP is apparently $95.
I'm not going to pay $60 for one volume that will likely be $15.99 or so when it's first released, not to mention going through the hassle of having to basically give away the old volumes on Amazon or eBay to offset the cost.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline metaldams

I'm not going to pay $60 for one volume that will likely be $15.99 or so when it's first released, not to mention going through the hassle of having to basically give away the old volumes on Amazon or eBay to offset the cost.

What he said.
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline archiezappa

Yep.  Still not double-dipping.  I'm still looking for an individual release of the Rare Treasures box.

Offline falsealarms

I haven't seen any rear box images of the RARE TREASURES set, but I'll be curious if the final Besser solos and HAVE ROCKET are in widescreen.

Bob Furmanek, an expert on such things, once posted here that Columbia transitioned to widescreen by the end of April 1953. The final four Besser solos, all remakes with stock footage, should be in widescreen. IMDB lists no aspect ratio for THE FIRE CHASER, but it was comfortably in the widescreen period. This site says it was filmed in July 1954. IMDB lists the final 3 as having 1.85:1 aspect ratios.

The Fire Chaser (1954)
G.I. Dood It (1955)
Hook A Crook (1955)
Army Daze (1956)

Have Rocket, Will Travel (1959) also has a 1.85:1 aspect ratio, per IMDB.

Offline Paul Allen

For everyone who's concerned about paying $62 or so bucks for this new box set (a.k.a. double dipping) consider this idea - It's a great opportunity for you to either sell your used volumes for about $5 to $7 each or just give your used volumes to friends and/or family members that would appreciate it and enjoy them. [cool]

Offline archiezappa

For everyone who's concerned about paying $62 or so bucks for this new box set (a.k.a. double dipping) consider this idea - It's a great opportunity for you to either sell your used volumes for about $5 to $7 each or just give your used volumes to friends and/or family members that would appreciate it and enjoy them. [cool]
I'm not going to sell DVD's that I paid $20 each for $7 each.  That's a bad idea, there, porcupine.  And I'm not giving them away.  The only opportunity that Sony should be giving us is a chance to own the "Rare Treasures" 3 DVD box set.

Offline Stooges#1

I'm not going to sell DVD's that I paid $20 each for $7 each.  That's a bad idea, there, porcupine.  And I'm not giving them away.

Yes you paid that amount, but no one is going to buy them off you at that price.

But in this situation why wouldn't you sell them for $7 each? You make yourself $56 and then turn around and pay $60 for the new collection that includes a bonus DVD set that Sony will probably end up charging $20 for in the future.

The bonus DVD volume might be a throw-in within the Ultimate Collection, but when it is made available separately Sony are going to want a price for them. Why not turn that price you will eventually pay out of your pocket into a profit right now? No one is telling you to double-dip and pay double the amount. You're still earning back your money in full then some.

Offline Paul Allen

"I'm not going to sell DVD's that I paid $20 each for $7 each. And I'm not giving them away."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes you paid that amount, but no one is going to buy them off you at that price.

But in this situation why wouldn't you sell them for $7 each? You make yourself $56 and then turn around and pay $60 for the new collection that includes a bonus DVD set that Sony will probably end up charging $20 for in the future.

The bonus DVD volume might be a throw-in within the Ultimate Collection, but when it is made available separately Sony are going to want a price for them. Why not turn that price you will eventually pay out of your pocket into a profit right now? No one is telling you to double-dip and pay double the amount. You're still earning back your money in full then some.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stooges#1, Thank you! That's the exact reasoning that my brother and I came up with once we found the set on-line for around $62. Who knows how long it will take Sony to release the bonus material separately on its own?!... 6 months?... 1 year?... over a year?
We figured that we could probably sell our used sets in a garage/yard sale for $5 to $8 each.

I'm 53 and my brother's 62. We just didn't want to wait any longer.  We decided, "What the heck... no big deal. Let's get it and enjoy it now!"

Offline falsealarms

Yep, who knows when Sony will release it on its own. And "plans" to release it on its own could always change. Would I be surprised if the separate release never happens? Not really. All we're going on is a Facebook post. At $60, it's basically 20 bucks for each of the three bonus discs.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
You'd be lucky to get $5 a piece for them from a yard sale type environment and you'd get even less if you sold them to a used retailer. The new "ultimate" set pretty much renders the individual sets almost worthless on the retail market.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline locoboymakesgood

You'd be lucky to get $5 a piece for them from a yard sale type environment and you'd get even less if you sold them to a used retailer. The new "ultimate" set pretty much renders the individual sets almost worthless on the retail market.
Exactly. None of you people are factoring in the costs, either -- assuming you sell them on Amazon, take away their percentage of the sale and then whatever else left you spend on excess shipping charges and hoping the buyer on the other end isn't going to screw you and either claim he never got the discs or claim damage to something that wasn't really damaged.

Moreover, if you sell them on eBay, factor in PayPal fees on top of everything else. You'd be lucky to get $2 or $3 net after all is said and done. You people that think selling things online is as easy as 1-2-3 either don't know what you're talking about or haven't sold much online.

In order to secure the profit of $5-$7 you're talking about, including gas costs to go to the post office, you'd have to sell them for about double the price. And nobody is going to pay $10 - $14 for old, used DVD sets when you can buy them new and on sale for less than that.

Anyone that actually does this or plans to do it, rethink your plans and be patient. People saying $20 a disc like that's rationale in this day and age. Sony will release it eventually.

Offline Paul Allen

Have fun with all that resistance, guys.

Come June 5th, my brother and I will be enjoying the heck out of our new Ultimate Collection !

To each his own.

Offline locoboymakesgood

Have fun with all that resistance, guys.

Come June 5th, my brother and I will be enjoying the heck out of our new Ultimate Collection !

To each his own.
There's a big difference between common sense and "resistance", as you put it. How are we resisting if Sony said themselves they're going to release it separately?

If you have $60 to burn, more power to you.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
If I found some rube who was going to offer me $10 a piece for the volumes then I probably would turn them and buy the new set. As it is if I wanted to I could gift the collection to my father and just buy them outright. I'm not trying to knock you or "resist" the Ultimate set but I am being more realistic. You cannot expect to sell those and flip them for the new set in this day and age when information is right at a person's fingertips and more and more learn how to access it everyday. The only that is going to happen is if you find a real rube who doesn't know you can get everything you offer and more for $60 or so brand new.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

xraffle

I'm not going to sell and then rebuy all 8 volumes. To be honest, these solo shorts are just an added bonus for me and I'm not really dying to have them. Yeah, they'd be nice to own, but all I really dreamed of having was all 190 shorts uncut and now I have them. Sony can go ahead and make this "Rare Treasures" DVD exclusive to this Ultimate Set. They're the ones that will lose out on a sale since I'm not going to fall for their trap. I'm not desperate to own them because I'm satisfied with just having all 190 shorts. If Sony comes to their senses and releases this separately, then yes, I'll buy it. But if they don't, then Sony loses out, not me.