Soitenly
Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

3 Stooges Ultimate Collection DVD, June 5

BeAStooge · 360 · 94465

Linked Events

• Three Stooges Ultimate Collection DVD: June 05, 2012 - June 11, 2012

Offline falsealarms

Also for those of you who didn't pre-order last week to at least lock in the price and make a final decision later, it has gone from $111.99 to $143.99.

[pie]

And now it's down to 91.99.

Offline Stooges#1

Offline falsealarms

Offline archiezappa

This whole situation royally sucks!  I'm not double dipping.  I got what I wanted out of the 190 shorts.  I wanted the other stuff, too, but will definitely NOT be buying this set.  Phooey on Sony!

They need to issue this stuff individually, just like the other sets.  I wanted all those other shorts/features.  Why must Sony do this to us?  It's horrible.  Absolutely horrible!  I want to walk right up to those knuckleheads and bang their heads together, just enough to knock some sense into them.

I mean, we are the Stooge fans who bought the sets as they came out and made them a major success.  Why do they want to screw with us now? 

I really want the extra stuff, but, again, I'm not paying for the 190 shorts, because, as you guessed, I already have them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ThumpTheShoes

This would really be a good opportunity to go back and redo the 3d pictures and make them look better. Also fix some of the glitches (ala Pain in the Pullman, Horses Collars) and unfix the audio "fix" in The Hot Scots. Leave it sped up like it was in Scotched in Scotland.

That said, I already preordered. I wonder if the box will have 3d glasses? Or, maybe a nice lenticular cover? Tee hee!
 [pie]
I love pie!
 [pie]

Offline HELLOLARRY

Well it has been what....two weeks since the announcement and still no 'official' word from Sony so hopefully something comes soon. I forget the guys name (Michael or something like that from Sony) who was posting on some boards back when the individual volumes came out that people wouldn't be disappointed.

The only place that has a content list is Movies Unlimited and I find that odd that a) nobody else has picked up on it or b) Sony hasn't put anything forma out. How could they have all those specific details without some type of announcement.

All I'm saying is that we should stay tuned and wait to see what is going to be said. I am VERY skeptical because it is Sony but they may surprise us so you never know. A separate volume would be cool and fair to fans.

Offline Larry Larry

This whole situation royally sucks!  I'm not double dipping...  I wanted the other stuff, too, but will definitely NOT be buying this set.  .... I really want the extra stuff, but, again, I'm not paying for the 190 shorts, because, as you guessed, I already have them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If that turns out to be the case, I'm with you.

But I'm going to go with "Innocent Until Proven Guilty" until we get an official press release or an official notice of some sort. 

Any sources to confirm that there will, or won't, be a separate release for the bonus material?  I'm willing to give Sony the benefit of the doubt for now and hoping they read this board, and other forums, and surprise us.   :D
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline mark32570

Artwork available at Amazon now.

It's the 8 volumes plus a 3 disc set called "The Three Stooges: Rare Treasures From The Columbia Pictures Vault. 11 Hours of movies and shorts". The set seems to have its own cover and artwork, so maybe it will also be released seperately. Lets hope so.
http://www.amazon.com/Three-Stooges-Ultimate-Collection/dp/B006WN5W5M
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:16:38 PM by BeAStooge »
"For you, I have thee grand surprise"
"So do I, if you only knew it"

Offline mark32570

I've also noticed that they still have the set marked at $91.99, but now the list price shows as $95.99, a 4% savings. If Sony did lower the list price, Amazon may even go lower, to their usual 30% or more. Even if they don't, and the 3 disc Vault set doesn't come out seperatley, I did think of another option. If I traded my 8 volumes in to Amazon right now under "Like New" condition, they will give me $51.75. Using that to buy the set, I would only be paying $40.24 for the Vault set. A little pricey, but not horrible.....crap, I don't know what to do, lol. Lets just hope the Vault set comes out seperatley and we don't have to worry about it.
"For you, I have thee grand surprise"
"So do I, if you only knew it"

Offline BeAStooge

• Birdbrain
  • Master Stooge
  • Bunionhead
This pop-up box link at Movies Unlimited contains the complete contents, in alphabetical order.  Eliminating the 190 shorts, and resorting by Stooge and release, confirms the 3 bonus discs' titles noted earlier...

Footnote for completists:  Not listed is Shemp's first solo Columbia short NOT GUILTY ENOUGH (1938), which is one of his Andy Clyde series appearances, and Besser's CUCKOORANCHO (1938).

Rockin' In The Rockies (1945)
Have Rocket--Will Travel (1958)

Shemp Howard
Home On The Rage (1938)
The Glove Slingers (1939)
Pleased To Mitt You (1940)
Money Squawks (1940)
Boobs In The Woods (1940)
Pick A Peck Of Plumbers (1944)
Open Season For Saps (1944)
A Hit With A Miss (1945)
Off Again, On Again (1945)
Where The Pest Begins (1945)
Jiggers, My Wife (1946)
Mr. Noisy (1946)
Society Mugs (1946)
Bride And Gloom (1947)

Joe Besser
Waiting In The Lurch (1949)
Dizzy Yardbird (1950)
Fraidy Cat (1950)
Caught On The Bounce (1952)
Aim, Fire, Scoot (1952)
Spies And Guys (1953)
The Fire Chaser (1954)
G.I. Dood It (1955)
Hook A Crook (1955)
Army Daze (1956)

Joe DeRita
Slappily Married (1946)
The Good Bad Egg (1947)
Wedlock Deadlock (1947)
Jitter Bughouse (1948)

Color Rhapsody cartoons
The Bon Bon Parade (1935)
The Merry Mutineers (1936)
A Hollywood Detour (1942)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 09:42:43 PM by BeAStooge »

Offline Curly4444

Gotta have that box for my collection. Maybe on ebay someone will just sell the box?

Offline Shemp_Diesel

Oh, that box looks good. Here's hoping they release it separately...

[3stooges]
Talbot's body is the perfect home for the Monster's brain, which I will add to and subtract from in my experiments.

Offline HELLOLARRY

Another option would be that for those of us who bought the original volumes, maybe Sony would offer the bonus content (since it seems to be packaged to sell separately) through their online store. The outer box is cool but they haven't really gone out of their way packaging wise to do any value add with the complete set. Again, we'll wait and see what Sony's press release says -  eventually.  [pie]

Offline falsealarms

Offline falsealarms

Considering other Shemp/Clyde entries are listed, NOT GUILTY ENOUGH potentially being omitted doesn't make any sense. CUCKOORANCHO missing from the set would be a lesser disappointment. We need an official press release.

The negative reviews are streaming in, like this one at Amazon:

Thanks for screwing the fans once again. Hopefully you will rectify this by releasing the bonus DVD separately. If not, I hope everyone who purchased the individual sets uses torrents to download the bonus content. You crooks deserve it.

http://www.amazon.com/review/RQL5K00OXJ5J2/ref=cm_cr_dp_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B006WN5W5M&nodeID=2625373011&tag=&linkCode=

Offline HELLOLARRY

Oh sorry...by online store I meant on demand....or something for people to purchase it separately.

While I know everyone has the right to vent, I really wish they wouldn't post negative reviews on something we're not 100% sure of yet. I temper that again with - it's Sony - however I will reserve comment on how they've treated people for when the official announcement comes out.

Offline Curly4444

If not, I hope everyone who purchased the individual sets uses torrents to download the bonus content. You crooks deserve it.

Classic. lol

Offline CLM3S

• Porcupine
  • All the samey!! Washy shirty?
I have a feeling Sony will release the 3 disc bonus set, just well after many of us have broken down and bought the Ultimate Collection set.

Hopefully I am wrong and they announce an individual bonus set release...

Offline locoboymakesgood

This set is incomplete, granted it's not called "complete", but now I may hold off. Missing shorts, missing movies.

I want those bonus shorts and "Have Rocket" but it sounds like they may just release it separately now. Cross your fingers.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline archiezappa

Yes!  I like that artwork on the Rare Treasures box set.  That would be great, if they release this separately.  That's what we should push them to do.  If they release that 3 Disc set separately, it will be another major success, just like the other volumes.  Then, all they would need to do is release a final box set of the 1960's features.  Then, and only then, will we finally have a complete set of The Three Stooges from Columbia. 

Attention Sony!  Listen to us! [director] We are the fans and this is what we want.  Don't disappoint us now!

Offline archiezappa

I must also note that I love "Bride And Gloom" and "Mr. Noisy."  Those shorts are hilarious!  But the only versions I've seen are umpteenth generation copies taped off late night tv over 25 years ago.  I'd love to see the restored versions.  Again, only if they release "Rare Treasures" as a separate box set.

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
For those of you griping about the complete set coming out with special features after you have purchased the individual volumes think about this: if those individual volumes didn't move the number of units that they did there would be no complete set and no special features. Shit, you may forget that there was a time when it was uncertain whether or not all of the shorts would be released. First there were worries about the first volume tanking and that being the end, then whether or not the Shemps would be released, then whether or not the late Shemps and Bessers would be released: nevermind any solo shorts and the like.

My initial reaction to the news of a complete set with a bonus package was just like yours; "what a fuck you to the people who bought the volumes separately, I'm not going to double-dip just to get the extras and a box". I'm still not going to do that; $90-$150 (depending on where and when you shop) is not worth it. However I can take pride in the fact that if it weren't for people like me and like who went out and bought the individual volumes in the first place there would be no complete set. Besides, I believe it would make nothing but dollars and sense for Sony to go ahead and release the bonus volume on its own, if nothing else then as a show of "thanks" to those who bought the set. If that happens I will buy it, but I'm not going to curse out Sony if they decide not to: it's their loss.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

xraffle

This pop-up box link at Movies Unlimited contains the complete contents, in alphabetical order.  Eliminating the 190 shorts, and resorting by Stooge and release, confirms the 3 bonus discs' titles noted earlier...

Footnote for completists:  Not listed is Shemp's first solo Columbia short NOT GUILTY ENOUGH (1938), which is one of his Andy Clyde series appearances, and Besser's CUCKOORANCHO (1938).

Oh man!!! If those 3 discs aren't released separately, then yeah, Sony did screw us for sure.

Offline archiezappa

If things were to happen the way they are supposed to happen, then Sony would do us right and release "Rare Treasures" as a separate DVD box set for all of us fans who bought the sets as they came out.

Then, after several more months, they would release a box set of the "1960's Feature Films," thus completing our 3 Stooges DVD collections.  I don't understand why they would do anything else.  It makes no sense to me to offer things like this only in a "Complete" box set.

Also, we must remember that these are not your standard bonus features.  Standard bonus features are usually commentaries, interviews, and behind-the-scenes stuff.  No!  This is not that kind of fare.  These are full length Short Subject and Feature Films.  They need to get wise and get the "Rare Treasures" DVD set out there, normally.

I guarantee that if "Rare Treasures" was released in the same manner as Volumes 1-8, that it would be a HUGE success. 

They need to wise up to this fact.

Offline Mark The Shark

If things were to happen the way they are supposed to happen, then Sony would do us right and release "Rare Treasures" as a separate DVD box set for all of us fans who bought the sets as they came out.

Then, after several more months, they would release a box set of the "1960's Feature Films," thus completing our 3 Stooges DVD collections.  I don't understand why they would do anything else.  It makes no sense to me to offer things like this only in a "Complete" box set.

Also, we must remember that these are not your standard bonus features.  Standard bonus features are usually commentaries, interviews, and behind-the-scenes stuff.  No!  This is not that kind of fare.  These are full length Short Subject and Feature Films.  They need to get wise and get the "Rare Treasures" DVD set out there, normally.

I guarantee that if "Rare Treasures" was released in the same manner as Volumes 1-8, that it would be a HUGE success. 

They need to wise up to this fact.

I agree that it would be a huge success with more serious Stooge fans and collectors, but with the general public, maybe not so much. For us, it's a no-brainer "what took them so long" release. But for the average person who's not a dyed-in-the-wool Stooge scholar, you have essentially one (relatively obscure) feature film with the "classic" lineup of the Stooges (Moe, Larry and the original Curly), made when Curly was past his prime and featuring the Stooges playing different characters who aren't really a team in the traditional sense. Then you have the past-their-prime Have Rocket, Will Travel with Curly-Joe, and a bunch of solo shorts with Shemp Howard and Joe Besser, which the average person who's not a diehard Stooge collector has probably never seen, with Moe, Larry and Curly nowhere in sight.

I don't think it would sell anywhere near the same league as the eight volumes of Stooge shorts they've released, and I think they know it. In fact, if you follow this argument to its logical conclusion, pretty much the only people who would really be interested in these bonus DVDs are the same people who already bought all eight volumes of Stooge shorts. And those who resisted the temptation to buy them as they were released, figuring a set like this would follow.

They'll follow the money. Business-wise, it would make the most sense to offer the bonus stuff separately. But it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't happen until a year or so down the road -- like the Keaton Plus bonus DVD which was initially only available as part of The Art Of Buster Keaton box set. Of course, that wasn't Sony, so who knows.