Moronika
The community forum of ThreeStooges.net

3 Stooges Ultimate Collection DVD, June 5

BeAStooge · 360 · 94691

Linked Events

• Three Stooges Ultimate Collection DVD: June 05, 2012 - June 11, 2012

Offline Bum

Anyone who uses internet acronyms is MOIDERING the King's English........... et cetera.

See?

Saw?

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Not every acronym is internet slang, FWIW goes back to the late 1960's when radio stations abbreviated the Buffalo Springfield song in internal memo's.   For better or worse language  can't be stopped from evolving (or devolving?).  When you get right down to it the slang the Stooges' used in their work has been part of that since the 1930's                                                     

BTW [ :P] this is an internet forum is it not?

Yes, it's an Internet forum and one where I nicely asked if you could take it easy on useless acronyms. It doesn't take much more energy to type "for what it's worth" and who besides car/oil commercials uses "your mileage may vary" anyway? LOL :P Shit like "BTW", "LOL" everyone here knows and have become universal, but I find it annoying looking up useless acronyms when it's really not asking all that much to KISS* for those of us who are older and don't know or really care to know what they mean.  The board tends to skew older than the average Internet board, which is why stuff like "leet speak" is prohibited here. I'm not trying to be a dick, I just made a simple request.

*KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline metaldams

*KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid

Wrong

KISS: Knights in Satan's Service

I thought this was common knowledge!
- Doug Sarnecky

Offline shemps#1

• Pothead, Libertarian, Administrator, Resident Crank and Baron of Greymatter
  • Global Moderator
  • Chowderhead
  • Hatchet Man
Wrong

KISS: Knights in Satan's Service

I thought this was common knowledge!

That's why I put the annotation at the end Douglas, I didn't want to confuse the two.
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish." - Unknown

Offline falsealarms

Noticed this tonight on Amazon's page for this big set:

Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

Wonder what it could be... can't think of much besides the main box arriving a little damaged (flimsy-ish stock) or scratched bonus discs (due to being stacked all on one hub).

Offline Curly4444

Noticed this tonight on Amazon's page for this big set:
Wonder what it could be... can't think of much besides the main box arriving a little damaged (flimsy-ish stock) or scratched bonus discs (due to being stacked all on one hub).

This happens all the time. If some pickey person is not satisfied, and has returned it once already, they can get the item pulled. I had trouble with an item and the amazon person asked me if i wanted the item pulled and put on review. Knowing i was just being pickey, i said no.

xraffle

I'm not very familiar with these acronyms other than LOL and BTW and I'm in my 20s. So, it doesn't have anything to do with age. I think it has more to do with how often you text on a cell phone since many people tend to abbreviate very often when using one. I never use my cell phone because I used to get useless phone calls left and right. So, I just keep it off and only use it if/when there's an emergency.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I'm not very familiar with these acronyms other than LOL and BTW and I'm in my 20s. So, it doesn't have anything to do with age. I think it has more to do with how often you text on a cell phone since many people tend to abbreviate very often when using one. I never use my cell phone because I used to get useless phone calls left and right. So, I just keep it off and only use it if/when there's an emergency.
YMMV and FWIW has transitioned to cellphone lingo but it originated on message boards.

I'm in my 20s as well and know what most internet acronyms stand for even though I prefer not to use them.
"Are you guys actors, or hillbillies?" - Curly, "Hollywood Party" (1934)

Offline falsealarms

DVDTalk review:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/54884/three-stooges-the-ultimate-collection-the/

Film historian Stuart Galbraith previously reviewed volumes 1-3 and 5-8 and those comments are re-hashed here. However, he adds comments for volume four (which someone else reviewed when it came out) and also adds new comments for each film on the Rare Treasures set. Well worth a read.

Offline falsealarms

The most thought provoking lines in the review aren't about any specific film, but rather this statement:

"In one sense the team was a victim of their own longevity: I've always felt that had all Three Stooges died in an airplane crash around 1937 "serious" cinema historians would unquestionably rank them in the pantheon of great film comedians: Chaplin, Keaton, Harold Lloyd, W.C. Fields, Laurel & Hardy, the Marx Bros. Instead, the Stooges, in their various incarnations, prolifically continued making movies and appearing in other media until about 1970, long after virtually all their contemporaries had retired or died out. "

That's an interesting comment. Does anyone here agree?

Offline Curly4444

The most thought provoking lines in the review aren't about any specific film, but rather this statement:

That's an interesting comment. Does anyone here agree?

Somewhat, but not with the year 1937. They were still fresh and in their prime.

xraffle

I will refrain from commenting on the reviewer. Last time we did so, he posted on this forum and complained. Apparently, he can voice his opinion, but we can't.  ::)

Offline falsealarms

I will refrain from commenting on the reviewer. Last time we did so, he posted on this forum and complained. Apparently, he can voice his opinion, but we can't.  ::)

What? I don't remember this!?

Offline falsealarms

I didn't remember that. But it seems like it was caused by a couple problem child posters (amalgamatedmoron and shempyshine) who aren't here anymore.

Offline locoboymakesgood

I totally forgot about that snafu. That was almost 4 years ago. Memories. [pie]

xraffle

I didn't remember that. But it seems like it was caused by a couple problem child posters (amalgamatedmoron and shempyshine) who aren't here anymore.

AmalgamatedMoron wasn't bad a person. He voluntarily left because of disagreements he was having with Jim. I guess he was afraid he was going to get banned, but obviously, that wasn't going to happen. But he panicked anyway and left.

Shempyshine was also alright. Unfortunately, it was my fault that he is no longer here. He was questioning the criticism I made on Stuart's review and then I kind of got a little impatient with him and it chased him away.

Offline falsealarms

When the Ultimate Collection was released, it was noted that NOT GUILTY ENOUGH (1938 Clyde/Shemp short) and CUCKOORANCHO (1938 Besser solo short) were not included. They were strange omissions - every other Shemp and Besser Columbia solo short were included.

Was it an oversight? Was it because the material only existed in substandard condition? Or was the material nowhere to be found?

It turns out that the right answer is behind door number three.

In response to an e-mail I sent, Sony's top restoration expert relayed the following:

"We would have loved to include them, but we did not have any material. Nor did the Library of Congress or other archives we contacted. We also went out to
collectors trying to find prints. I agree it would have been great to include them."

Move over, HELLO POP and JAILBIRDS OF PARADISE. You might have new company.

Offline locoboymakesgood

When the Ultimate Collection was released, it was noted that NOT GUILTY ENOUGH (1938 Clyde/Shemp short) and CUCKOORANCHO (1938 Besser solo short) were not included. They were strange omissions - every other Shemp and Besser Columbia solo short were included.

Was it an oversight? Was it because the material only existed in substandard condition? Or was the material nowhere to be found?

It turns out that the right answer is behind door number three.

In response to an e-mail I sent, Sony's top restoration expert relayed the following:

"We would have loved to include them, but we did not have any material. Nor did the Library of Congress or other archives we contacted. We also went out to
collectors trying to find prints. I agree it would have been great to include them."

Move over, HELLO POP and JAILBIRDS OF PARADISE. You might have new company.
That's a real shame if they are actually now lost films. I'm surprised Sony didn't have something in the vaults. It makes you wonder what other shorts from that era are also now gone.

Offline archiezappa

Noted.  So, when I'm able to buy a DeLorean, I'll be going back in time to the 1940's.  I'll be sure to pick up film reels of "Stop, Sadie, Stop," "Hello Pop," "Jailbirds Of Paradise," "Not Guilty Enough," and "Cuckoorancho."  Got it.  When I return, the DVD's will be released as soon as possible.  Awesome!  ;)

Offline falsealarms

That's a real shame if they are actually now lost films. I'm surprised Sony didn't have something in the vaults. It makes you wonder what other shorts from that era are also now gone.

If nothing else, it's surprising. When you think of lost films, you generally think of the silent era or the early 30s. But by the mid 30s forward, lost films became a very rare thing, especially for American films at major studios. Wikipedia has a big list of lost films (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lost_films).

Based off these other Shemp/Clyde shorts, NOT GUILITY ENOUGH is an especially regrettable loss. Shemp and Clyde fed off each other so well in the few on the rare treasures set. CUCKOORANCHO sounds intriguing as well.

xraffle

You never know. Maybe, one day, those lost shorts will be found and then Sony will release it exclusively in a new "Super Duper Ultimate Collection" and we'll be forced to re-buy Volumes 1-8 again.

Offline archiezappa

You never know. Maybe, one day, those lost shorts will be found and then Sony will release it exclusively in a new "Super Duper Ultimate Collection" and we'll be forced to re-buy Volumes 1-8 again.

Of course!   >:D

xraffle

Noted.  So, when I'm able to buy a DeLorean, I'll be going back in time to the 1940's.  I'll be sure to pick up film reels of "Stop, Sadie, Stop," "Hello Pop," "Jailbirds Of Paradise," "Not Guilty Enough," and "Cuckoorancho."  Got it.  When I return, the DVD's will be released as soon as possible.  Awesome!  ;)

Screw the DVDs, I want the time machine instead!  ;D

Offline Bum

Not until the BluRay version of the Ultimate Collection is issued beforehand.